Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have any tattoos that represent your pet(s)/past pets/love of dogs/animals/etc? Could you share? :D

(I don't, sorry. :( )

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I don't have any photographs of most of my tattoos (I have quite a few) but I have a guinea pig on my shoulder and three paw prints on my calf. I dipped my dogs prints in juice and printed them on a paper and got them tattooed life size. I plan to do with with every future dog, until I run out of room.

·
Registered
228 Posts
got me thinking on this post .... is it possible to tatoo a dog just for saftey reasons if he/she got lost? I would think it would be painful for the dog .... but, as a saftey thing _ maybe like in the inside of their ear!!! they would be found a lot quicker than if they had a micro chip ....

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
got me thinking on this post .... is it possible to tatoo a dog just for saftey reasons if he/she got lost? I would think it would be painful for the dog .... but, as a saftey thing _ maybe like in the inside of their ear!!! they would be found a lot quicker than if they had a micro chip ....
They already do that. On the inside of the ear. Some vets will, anyhow, usually during a spay/neuter. I don't think it would help any more than a microchip.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
But what would you tattoo on the dog? Your phone number? Your Social Security number? Your address? What if you moved? Sounds good in theory but doesn't really work in real life for general ID.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Not really on topic, but my cousin got her dog neutered at a spay/neuter clinic and they tattooed a little blue line on his belly to identify that he is fixed (might be more useful for a spay...)

·
Registered
228 Posts
well the small town i live in .... if a dog was lost and found people probly would not even think of checking for a micro chip .... and im sure there are tons of female black labs running around .... she has no distinguishing (sp?) marks ... so I would think just put my initials, that wouldn't change anytime soon .... then if she was ever lost and someone called and said they found her i could ask them to look inside of her ear for the initials ....

·
Banned
352 Posts
All the dogs from Guide Dogs For The Blind have ID tattoos in each ear. They are given these at around 8 weeks, just before they are sent to the puppy raisers. The tattoo is the whelp number and unique dog identification number and is only 4 characters long. As an example,my wifes Guide dog Roanna (pictured in avatar) is tattooed with ID 40E9.
Some other service dog providers tattoo their dogs on the inside of the thigh for identification purposes.
It is a common practice.

·
Registered
332 Posts

This is a quote from the children's book, The Little Prince, and it sums up exactly the reason why I want to devote my life to helping as many animals as possible.

I also plan to get my golden retriever's name, Loki, and the phrase "a heartbeat at my feet" tattooed on my ankle in the near future. Most people wait until their pet is dead, and get memorial tattoos, but I would rather do it while he's still alive and young.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Not really on topic, but my cousin got her dog neutered at a spay/neuter clinic and they tattooed a little blue line on his belly to identify that he is fixed (might be more useful for a spay...)
Don't want to hijack the thread but that explains Marge's green line!!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ender, I love the quote, and I especially love that it is from Le Petit Prince. A long time ago I wanted to get a tattoo of a baobab tree, inspired by the same story.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

This is a quote from the children's book, The Little Prince, and it sums up exactly the reason why I want to devote my life to helping as many animals as possible.

I also plan to get my golden retriever's name, Loki, and the phrase "a heartbeat at my feet" tattooed on my ankle in the near future. Most people wait until their pet is dead, and get memorial tattoos, but I would rather do it while he's still alive and young.
Dude, that is frikkin' AMAZING!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have three tattoo's on the inside of my right ankle for my two cats (Rascal and Storm) and my dog Max that have passed away. I don't have a really good picture of them right now and I don't really like this picture (makes Max's look really weird and stretched out) but here it is:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got this to represent dogs in general. I didn't want to get just a tattoo of one of my dogs, because it would seem unfair to the others I've had/going to have....and def. not all of them since well then I would probably have like two sleeves of tattoos!!

I wanted to get something more than the average paw print tattoo, so I looked up paw prints and loved the idea of the wolf inside a paw. Seeing how all dogs are related to the wolf, it represents all my dogs and my love for dogs in general.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've seen that picture as well whilst searching the web for ideas, and thought it was pretty cool.

this is the first tattoo I got. Its a paintbrush with paint splatters in the shape of a dogs paw print. The brush symbolizes my love for art and creativity, while the pawprint symbolizes my love for dogs. :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
All the dogs from Guide Dogs For The Blind have ID tattoos in each ear. They are given these at around 8 weeks, just before they are sent to the puppy raisers. The tattoo is the whelp number and unique dog identification number and is only 4 characters long. As an example,my wifes Guide dog Roanna (pictured in avatar) is tattooed with ID 40E9.
Some other service dog providers tattoo their dogs on the inside of the thigh for identification purposes.
It is a common practice.
They do this with horses as well. There's database much like the microchip one.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I don't have one for my pups yet, waiting for the right design to strike me. However, here is the one I have for my horses (a little hard to see as it goes onto the sides of my wrist)

Down one side are the letters "K. M. R" and the other side is "C. S. C" - these are the first letters of each of my horses' names (Kat, Majesty, Rocket, Cruiser, Sitka, Cowboy).

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
oh? Is that what it's there for? I noticed that on my sister's dog, she thought maybe they forgot to cut that part of the area where they marked to cut to do the spaying & neutered

None of my two have any form of tattoos. IMO I don't like idea of tattooing a dog

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
For the longest time I've wanted to get Basil's paw prints tattooed onto the palms of my hands. After talking to several tattoo artists, however, they've all convinced me that a palm tattoo probably isn't the best idea. I still kind of want to get the paw prints still, but I don't know whether to get them on the backs of my hands or the tops of my feet. I dunno, though, I'm not entirely sure I'll even get the tattoos now though :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts