Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Well in a thick or long-haired breed you'd have to shave the hair to look for a spay scar, anyway. And it's not exactly an emergency to know whether it's spayed the second you find it or not, typically if someone finds a stray dog they either take it to a shelter or their own vet and they look for a spay scar during an examination there.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
While I've heard of dogs being tattooed, in their ears for identification purposes, I've never heard of this! My Ginger is being spayed this coming Tuesday, I'll have to ask when I drop her off

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think it is a great idea. We adopted a rescue dog once that we were told had been spayed. They were basing that on a scar.
When I took her to my vet he said he was suspicious that it was a c-section scar not a spay scar. I don't know what made him think that but it turned out he was right. She had never been spayed. It would sure have been nice to have a way to know for sure without having to open her up.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I think a tattoo on the belly is a good idea. Even a long haired dog is not going to worry about a shaving, since they'd have to shave to check for a scar or to prep for an investigative surgery anyway. The frightened stray dog scenario is not really an issue...most people are not going to get the dog and check for a spay scar right off the bat anyway.
There was a time where spay incisions on dogs were pretty large, but surgical expertise and the advent of laser surgery have greatly reduced the visibility of scars. Cracker's scar is virtually invisible because her vet is good at what he does.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
A spay scar is essentially the same thing.

My dog was spayed before she was mine as a part of a vet school training program (they use shelter dogs for practice). The student who did the procedure made an absolutely giant incision. Anyone who looks will know she's spayed.

ETA: I also advocate microchipping all pets, and it would be great if the microchip company kept records on spay and rabies vaccinations as well.
there is no spay scar on any of the females that i have had done or friends dogs, so that wouldn't do

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Here they tattoo a "ø" in their ears, NOT an ID number, so there is no risk of the ear ever being cut off if the dog gets stolen. It's the standard symbol used by every vet in Australia.
I do agree a universal sign would be nice but since there isn't one here- I think the sign for female with an X through it may communicated the idea best for a small tattoo.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I think it's silly to tattoo their belly. Firstly, in long/thick hair breeds it's difficult to see even if you deliberately look for it. Secondly, if she runs away and is stressed and/or hurt she might be too aggressive for anyone to flip her over to see if she has a tattoo.

Here they tattoo the animal's ear when it's desexed. It's much easier to see, you can usually spot it without even having to touch the dog. My puppy has upright ears, it wasn't affected by the tattoo at all.

Here they tattoo a "ø" in their ears, NOT an ID number, so there is no risk of the ear ever being cut off if the dog gets stolen. It's the standard symbol used by every vet in Australia.
Yes, I think an ear tattoo would work if every vet in that country did the same so people easily recognized it. But without that kind of uniformity, it's not nearly as useful. And sure, maybe a tummy spay tattoo wouldn't be seen until the dog was sedated and shaved, but at least she wouldn't be opened up again.

Until it's standardized, BOTH an ear tattoo and a tummy tattoo would probably be most useful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Layla's tattoo is just above her weasel (for lack of a better word) - where normally there is no hair. You know that part when you first get a puppy and they have that little pink tummy? I have heard of dogs having a tattoo in their ear but I thought this was done by the breeder to identify the dog itself not to designate that it has been spayed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A spay scar is essentially the same thing.

My dog was spayed before she was mine as a part of a vet school training program (they use shelter dogs for practice). The student who did the procedure made an absolutely giant incision. Anyone who looks will know she's spayed.

ETA: I also advocate microchipping all pets, and it would be great if the microchip company kept records on spay and rabies vaccinations as well.
Now the spay/neuter incision is a lot smaller now and sometimes don't leave any scar to see.my cat doesn't have a scar at all but does have a tattoo on her belly.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts