Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the dogs a bag of Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream, and they LOVED it. A few of them even picked it out from the pieces of leftover Canidae ALS and Natural Balance Ultra served with it from their previous mix (which they'll have to finish up tomorrow). It's certainly pungent stuff. Next time we'll try either the High Prairie or Wetlands version. Anyone care to share their experiences with this food?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
2 of my guys are on TOTW High Prairie....I love it...they are both doing very well....the only reason my pug is not on it is because we have her on wellness reduced calorie because she is a big fatty :D

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
My guys love TOTW!! We used the Pacific Stream but never tried their other formulas. I would still be feeding it to them but the price is too high here and there is only one store stocking it and it's not in reliably enough :(

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
My guys love TOTW!! We used the Pacific Stream but never tried their other formulas. I would still be feeding it to them but the price is too high here and there is only one store stocking it and it's not in reliably enough :(
bummer :(....I found a mom and pop all dog food store about 9 miles from my house that is awesome ...a little more pricey then petsmart but there selection of food rocks...they even have prepackaged frozen raw...I'm just hoping that with the economy the way it is that they can stay open :confused:

·
Registered
202 Posts
We had Nallah on High Prairie before, she didn't do too great on it.

I'm not sure what it was. She didn't seem to like it as much as her other food, I was trying to do a rotation with her between TOTW and Wellness CORE. She had some pretty loose stools and like I said just didn't care for it all that much. I have heard of a lot of dogs liking and doing very well on any of the TOTW flavors though.

I'd say as long as your dogs like it and they do good on it, go for it, its a pretty decent food!! In my area, it was relatively cheap for a Premium kibble as well! :cool:

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
We had Nallah on High Prairie before, she didn't do too great on it.

I'm not sure what it was. She didn't seem to like it as much as her other food, I was trying to do a rotation with her between TOTW and Wellness CORE. She had some pretty loose stools and like I said just didn't care for it all that much. I have heard of a lot of dogs liking and doing very well on any of the TOTW flavors though.

I'd say as long as your dogs like it and they do good on it, go for it, its a pretty decent food!! In my area, it was relatively cheap for a Premium kibble as well! :cool:
LOL...I had the exact opposite of your situation...I started my guys out on Wellness because it got such good reviews and 2 of them had horrible gas and big nasty poo...so we switched over to TOTW and have had great results...

just goes to show how much dogs are individuals ...my pug is doing just fine on Wellness :eek:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dogs will eat almost anything I offer them, and to be honest, I'm not terribly put off by a bit of gas or loose stools (at least so long as the problem isn't non-stop and "explosive"). I enjoy offering them a wide variety of flavors in kibble, canned, treats and raw. I've had a few clients rave about Taste of the Wild, so it's nice to see some positive posts about it here, too, after my own positive experience.

TOTW is available at the local co-op, but if it's out I can always pick up Wellness or Canidae there, or Solid Gold, Natural Balance or Blue Buffalo at Petco, or Innova, California Naturals or the Honest Kitchen at the newer privately owned pet store in town. Just a few years ago there weren't nearly so many choices here, so I can truly appreciate the luxury of availability and sympathize with those who don't have the same.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have to hide the bags/containers of TOTW from my dogs or they will tear the lid off and I will come in and there they will be with their heads down in the bag lol.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
we just had to buy a bag yesterday, we ran out. i think we went with the pacific stream this time. but we do feed them all formulas, and dont have a problem with any of them.

i love the stuff, my girls look great on it! i hear a lot of peoples dogs go nuts over it, but i think that has to do with the mass amount of aroma it has! very smelly stuff. but heck, if my girls like it, and do well on it, i like it!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
TOTW appears to be an excellent food. I would probably feed it to my dogs if it wern't made by Diamond Foods, whom I do not trust. I'm able to get fresh buffalo (bison) and venison, so I don't need them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have Zeus on Innova, but was recently considering doing a rotation with TOTW... But instead of a rotation what about just getting a big bag of both and mixing them together and serving that way?

Picked up some TOTW trial packs gonna see how Zeus likes those.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Luna's on TOTW Wetlands formula. She really liked it... at first. Then I accidentally bought the High Prairie formula and she was not a fan. I switched back to the Wetlands formula, and sometimes she likes it, other times she doesn't seem too interested. She has a lot of issues going on right now though... loose/runny stool in VAST quantities, UTI, lethargy, etc. Not sure if it's food related or not, but we're going to the vet for the 5th time on Friday. :(

She likes Natural Balance Duck & Potato treats, but turns up her nose at the Venison & Sweet Potato formula. There's also venison in the High Prairie formula of TOTW... Maybe she doesn't like venison!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had Bella and Bug on TOTW High Prairie at one time. They loved it but they had loose waterey stools for a month solid. I finally got so fed up with "premium foods" and put them on Purina and their stools instantly firmed up and they liked it too as well as had shiney, full coats and lots of energy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 5 1/2month old english setter, stools are always different (vet says everything is OK) on Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy. Wondering about trying TOTW out, should I stick to a puppy formula food or try TOTW ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I had Gizmo on the Pacific Stream for a while, but he HATED it. I think it was the smell...the fish did him in. He wouldn't go anywhere near his bowl for days at a time. I would put it down and he wouldn't touch it. I would pick it up and put it back at dinner and he wouldn't touch it. Eventually he got hungry enough that he ate it, but he still didn't eat with any real enthusiasm, so i switched him back to his Blue Buff.

On the positive side--when he did eat it (the month that I kept him on it) his stool was firmer and smaller and (oddly enough) he stopped his gross poo eating habit. When I put him back on BB, he had bigger poos and, well, the nasty habit is back. Yuck.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I've used it, and Webster and Mira did pretty well. I rotated between Pacific Stream, High Prairie, and Wetlands as I rarely feed two bags of the exact same thing in a row.

After reading some stuff on here, I think I'm going to switch my dogs to a quality dog food. TOTW sounds great, but what is the biggest sized bag and how much does it usually cost?
Here it's about $40 for the biggest bag, which is 30lbs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
A 17lb bag of Iams is $18 and I saw somewhere that a 15lb bag of TOTW is $20, so not much difference for a much better food. I'm thinking about trying this with my Heelers, though they've only ever eaten Iams so I hope they don't get sick when switching foods.

EDIT:
Just got back from the Pet Supermarket and got 3 free samples of each TOTW flavor. I gave a little bit of the Roasted Fowl to my youngest who won't eat her Iams food in the morning anymore and she ate it right up. I offered a handful of her old food afterwards and she wouldn't eat it. I'll make my final decision after going through all of the bags, but I think I'm gonna switch to TOTW.

·
Registered
331 Posts
We did the TOTW Wetlands for a while and it was great, my dog's stools looked great on it, but she gained weight that she didn't need to gain, and she only eats less than a cup per day which isn't a lot for a cocker spaniel. So now I have her on the reduced fat Wellness Core. I didn't care for the smell of the pacific stream either. Too fishy. The wetlands doesn't smell bad though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I definitely think I have a picky eater... I'll have to monitor her stool while I have the sample bags and see how she does. Are there any good brands that are less expensive than TOTW by chance?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts