Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I was wondering if anyone feeds or fed Taste of the Wild or Timberwolf dog foods to Pomeranians. I have been feeding Merrick but just found out they put foods with hormones and antibiotics in their food so want to change. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
It is illegal to feed hormones and antibiotics to livestock in the US. So I wonder where the info is coming from or where there source of meat is coming from.

Anyway, I have fed Taste of the Wild Wetlands to my pom. She is normally raw-fed but when we travel and she stays with the dog sitter she gets TOTW, as well as the two papillons. They have all done well on it, nice coats, seem to be satisfied with normal portion, no bad breath, ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on TOTW. I fed Merrick Trout and Cowboy(beef). What I was told ... The trout is wild caught and farm trout so they can't tell what has hormones and what doesn't. They couldn't say what was used for what they called beef. The dogs had looser stools with the poultry products so switched to the trout. The coats on the dogs are gorgeous but I am finding with the breeders I have they have more problems then I had using raw food and organic foods. That is what prompted me to call Merrick and ask about their meat source. They said the only product they have that doesn't have hormones and antibiotics is the Grammy Pot Pie dry kibble. The two dogs that had gas with the trout I put on the beef. Tomorrow I start the switch to hormone and antibiotic free products!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
ALL foods made with traditionally-raised meats will have some antibiotic/hormone residue in it (well, it's illegal to give hormones to poultry....but they do get antibiotics. Beef cattle do not get as much antibiotics but they do get some hormones. Lambs are given the least amount of anything, pork given the most). Unless you get certified organic meats, or raise it yourself, you can't know what has hormone/antibiotic residue in it or not.

What brand are you going to switch to?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts