Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just joined. And today/ yesterday I had the scare of my life with my Pap peeing blood. The vet said that it is possible it was caused by the food and I was wondering if anyone has had that issue? He's on special food now, but I just wanted to hear some other experiences with it. My cat is also on the food and he has gained wait but now I'm very concerned.

My pooch got a build up of feces (though he still went daily) in his intestines, which caused crystals and bacterial infection, therefore small stones in his bladder. She said it was probably the food.

Need people to discuss with, my family doesnt understand all my rantings.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Did he say HOW "it was probably caused by the food"?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
A build up of feces causes bladder issues? Never heard that one before. How can bacteria get from the anal area to the penis in a male dog? Quite a distance to travel.

A bacterial infection caused alkaline urine which allows crystals to develop in the urine from normal minerals present. Guess the crystals formed into irritating stones too. If the urine is concentrated because the dog isn't drinking enough crystals are more likely to precipitate out as well and feeding dry food means the dog needs to drink more than if he eats wet food.

Here is an article that may help.
http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjstruvites.html

Treating the stones by making sure he takes in lots of water and treating the infection with the appropriate antibiotic and doing the recheck after the antibiotic is finished should resolve the issue unless the stones are a metabolic issue where a special diet is best - see the other articles on that website.

·
Registered
952 Posts
maybe the vet meant that the food was the culprit, but it caused 2 different reactions in your dog. One was the urine issue, the other was the fecal issue.

And sorry this has happened to you. I've never seen a dog pee blood. I do have a dog that developed GI issues while on TOTW,but i have no real proof that it was specifically the TOTW that caused the issues. DOg was treated for h.pylori but vets also treated for food allergy/intolerance. they were stumped so treated for 2 different things. anyway it spooked me enough that I no longer feed TOTW.

fwiw on another board that I frequent a poster claims that her/his vet felt that TOTW food caused her dog to get very sick. I've no idea about the truth of the claim.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I wasn't clear. I just realized part of my post made little sense. I was up really late cleaning up and studying. You are right, two different issues developed. I think a part of it was also that the food was staying in his body longer, which assisted with the whole bacteria build up. But I had no clue this was happening because he went daily right after his meals. It was solid, small and had little odor. Which is the report a lot of people who feed TOTW give. So I assumed it was a positive thing. Until they did the x-rays yesterday and had to give his a shot to clean out his intestinal tract and re do them. The same thing is going on with my cat though, with the small feces. So I think I'm going to switch his food as well just to be safe. What do you think?

Thank you Kathy for the website. I'm looking at it now. He's actually on a special food, antibiotics, pain meds and some vitamins. So hopefully he feels better in a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow this has me scared. I put Daisy on TOTW because of a suspected food allergy and I wanted a good grain free one.she seems to be doing well on it.any suggestions on another grain free kibble?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Wow this has me scared. I put Daisy on TOTW because of a suspected food allergy and I wanted a good grain free one.she seems to be doing well on it.any suggestions on another grain free kibble?
If she's doing well on it, don't freak out. There's probably not a food in the world that is optimum for every dog out there (or cat) Small solid stools means that the dog is able to use the food and it's not all coming out the other end. There are a number of things that could be going on that have nothing to do with what one is feeding. I would guess that peeing blood has to do with stones or an untreated infection. Lots of reasons a dog's digestive track slows down - pancreas, bacterial overgrowth, etc. And some dogs just have allergies/intolerances to certain ingredients. If that's the case, yes, look for another food. But not just because someone else had a problem with it. Their dog is not your dog.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks,I put her on this brand because she was having alot of ear issues and scratching. That has all improved greatly in the short time she was on the grain free. Her stool is a little, softer than normal but that could be. Because it's the Pacific one. I think I will try the high prairie next time.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thanks,I put her on this brand because she was having alot of ear issues and scratching. That has all improved greatly in the short time she was on the grain free. Her stool is a little, softer than normal but that could be. Because it's the Pacific one. I think I will try the high prairie next time.
Soft stools can also be caused by overfeeding. If you switched from a grain inclusive food to a grain free food you would most likely need to cut back on their food intake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Actually that was another question I had is how much of this are you feeding your dogs are you following the guide lines on the package? Daisy is an active 60lb dog and 3cups dont seem like enough.I have been giving her alot more.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I've had zero issues with TotW in the 2-3 years my two have been on it. I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all food out there though. I tried them on another food before when I was broke (Nature's Recipe), and after they had been on it for about a month, they got explosive bloody diarrhea. Switched them back to TotW and the problem went away. I tried it one more time a few months later when I was again hard up for cash, and I got the same explosive results. Some dogs just don't do well on certain foods. And I heard from others how well their dogs did on Nature's Recipe, but mine just couldn't handle that stuff.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Actually that was another question I had is how much of this are you feeding your dogs are you following the guide lines on the package? Daisy is an active 60lb dog and 3cups dont seem like enough.I have been giving her alot more.
I have an active 55lb dogs that would eat about 1 1/4 cup of totw a day.

Your dogs oft stool is probably over feeding related.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My youngest lab Toby cannot eat kibble at all, so I switched him to the BARF diet. And im happy to report Toby and his poo are the picture of health.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Your dogs oft stool is probably over feeding related.
When I give the 3 cups that it says on the bag she whines for more later. I guess I will try to cut her down and see what happens..I was feeding her twice a day. Or maybe ill give her some cooked veggies for a treat later in the day.thanks.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I feed NVI (natures variety instinct) beef/ lamb with Stella & chewy's patties right now but itsnt one of the cheaper foods but it IS a really good food. www.dogfoodadvisor.com is a good place to start if you want to switch, I have fed Merrick's before grain line as well as their earthborn holistic & their 4 star entrees (those aren't grain free tho), grains aren't nessessarily a bad thing just as long as a names source of meat MEAL is the first or second ingredient.

For more info check the link I posted, then bookmark it, even I still use it :).

·
Registered
246 Posts
We have had great results with TOTW. The biggest issue with dogs, is that they eat anything. are you positive your pup didn't get a hold of something else?

Also, I am a very frequent dog park visitor, and for a while we had to stop going because Delilah was getting bloody and runny stools...turns out she was picking up a virus there and every time we went it exasperated it. My first vet jumped to food automatically, then I went to a Holistic Vet, things were drastically different and after a few blood tests ,we found a viral issue.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've been feeding TOTW several types for 3yrs now and I haven't had any issues either. I agree not every food is for every dog. I tried a variety of foods and settled with TOTW because the value is good,the quality is good. Now I've been adding 4healths Salmon and Potato and it seems to be fine.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Really? Sydney gets almost 1 cup totw per day at 20 pounds. Metabolisms are strange, lol

(Btw, I'm not trying to suggest the OP shouldn't cut down on feedings...with loose stools cutting down portion sizes is the first thing I'd try.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
According to the guide lines on the totw pacific stream bag for a 40-60lb dog its 2 1/3 -3 1/4 cups daily. I know this is just a guide line and every dog is different. I think I will give her 3 cups once a day instead of twice like I was doing and see how. Things go.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts