Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...I posted a few days ago about Paul Newmans Dry Food. Didn't get any good vibes from the answers, and being my dog has sorta stopped liking it - I've decided to change. There are no stores close to me that carry premium brands & since I don't drive anymore, I've decided to have it delivered.

I've settled on Taste of the Wild - after researching & reading fellow dog owners posts. I've ordered 2 different flavors, does anyone mix them together - or should I just split it up - maybe 2 days one, 2 days the other, etc.

Thanks....just wondering

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I probably wouldn't mix them up - if your dog has a problem with one of them you wouldn't be able to tell which one he is having a problem with.

I rotate different formulas but I do it on a bag to bag basis not a day to day basis. Once she finishes one bag I'll start a different bag of a different formula and so on. So probably around a month to two months depending on how long a bag lasts I change to a different formula.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Plus, once you open the bag the food starts to get stale. So it's best not to open one bag until the other is gone (or nearly gone, if you want to mix them for a few days). I do mix my cats' food but the dogs get one kind at a time.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
I rotate different formulas but I do it on a bag to bag basis not a day to day basis. Once she finishes one bag I'll start a different bag of a different formula and so on. So probably around a month to two months depending on how long a bag lasts I change to a different formula.
I do the same thing.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your rapid responses ---- I will do the same. Do you feed Taste of the Wild?

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
Do you feed Taste of the Wild?
Yes I do. Esther can eat pretty much everything, but Molly gets a chronically dry coat on nearly anything with grain. So the get TOTW. I get it from a farm co-op that I drive past every day on my commute.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
BTW, please don't post the same thing on three different sub forums. It's confusing and annoying and sometimes a moderator will accidentally delete all of them.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I mix the different formulas all the time and we've yet to have a bad reaction to any of them. Though High Prairie is not popular with my dogs.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I also just rotate with each new bag, but I usually skip the Sierra Maintain one because it's very similar to High Prairie (for our purposes), with lower fat and protein. Sydney tends to do best on a higher fat food. Pacific Stream is lower too, but I just give her more eggs and fish oil while we're in that part of the rotation to compensate.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I probably wouldn't mix them up - if your dog has a problem with one of them you wouldn't be able to tell which one he is having a problem with.
This ^^ Luke does best on the Sierra Mountain and High Prarie, but does not do quiet as well on the Pacific Stream and Wetlands. I rotate his food every bag, which works out to about a new flavor every 6-7 weeks. I also include other brands.

·
Banned
122 Posts
my puppy started on taste of the wild. he ate that his whole first year! i liked that its grain-free, quality meat, and cheaper than most other foods in that genre. winston only seemed to like the salmon, but he would eventually eat the other kinds.

·
Registered
138 Posts
TOTW has great customer service. I want to change Oliver over to a grain free food. I emailed them and asked for a free sample. They sent me a box with 8 packages of food. Gave Oliver a couple pieces as a treat yesterday and he loved it.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I used to feed TOTW but my dogs stopped eating it for some reason, I think it had something to do with the fact thy were getting very fishy with their ingredients.

·
Registered
554 Posts
...I guess my response was on one of the deleted threads. I had said that while TOTW is a very popular food on this forum, I don't think it belongs in the same category as other grain-free foods. When I have Belle on a grain-free food like Evo or Wellness Core, her....um...WARNING: OFFENSE (? maybe this is why it was deleted?) "elimination" is small. Not much there. I had read this is how it should be when feeding grain-free, as there's less waste because the dog can absorb it more.

When she's on grain-filled foods, there's much more to her eliminations. Which, as far as I understand, is how it should be.

The exception is Taste of the Wild. When she's on TOTW, a grain-free food, her eliminations are just like the grain-filled foods.

TOTW is cheap compared to other grain-free foods. Why? What shortcuts are they taking? I just don't trust it...I'd rather go with Wellness CORE or Evo.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
That may just be per your dog.

Bella has one elimination a day (two if I take her for a bike ride) and it is nothing compared to the 3-5 normal eliminations on other foods. Again it all could just be the dog.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yeah why is that? Josefina does small poops on high quality grain free food, I was feeding TOTW but they started changing up their formula calling it 'new & improved' & 'better tasting' & my dogs started being "eh, *shrug*" about it so I was on merrick's BG line for a while but both of their foods have chicken as one of the main ingredients & i needed to switch protiens so I tried NVI with half a patty of Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw in place of the canned & it's great! They love it, even the new rescue dog, Buddy eats it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I was trying Back 2 Basics with Luke for awhile because I had a bunch of free samples and coupons. No grains, no potatoes. He had horrendous poop! The biggest he's ever had and 2-3 times a day. Large, gross. And I was feeding him slightly less than what he was getting of other foods. He's back on TOTW Sierra Mountain and within 3 days, his poop is back to small, regular poop on a 2 times per day schedule. So the higher quality, more expensive food didn't work well for him. This just furthers my belief that it totally depends on the dog and different dogs will do better with different foods.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just wanted to add that EVO to me wouldn't be high quality since they just had a buy out and it shouldn't be long before you start seeing it in grocery stores and Walmart.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts