Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious to hear if anyone feeds this, and if so, is the kibble very small, or similar in size to the puppy TOTW?

The small breed version is pretty similar to the Pine forest flavour, which i don't hear get talked about very much on here. The small breed is higher in protein/fat and has Duck meal further down the list. I believe the Pine forest has no duck meal..

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
I bet if you asked on the company's facebook page that you could get a photo comparison and/or measurement of the kibble size direct from the source.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I ended up buying a bag, and the kibble is the same size as the puppy kibble, I would not say it's particularly small. Nugget seems to like it so far.

It's on par price wise with our premium grain free Australian foods, $30 for a 2kg (4.4lb) bag. I pay $48 for a 3kg bag of his regular grain free kibble. I just wanted to add another food in to our rotation.

I bet TOTW is double the price here than it is in the US.

A 1.8kg (4lb) bag of Wellness Core- $43

2.5kg bag of Earthborn primitive Natural- $48

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wow that's quite high. Even here in the Netherlands 2k bag of Taste of the Wild is usually 15 euro (so 17-18$ I think). Must be so cheap in the US!

My current food is around 32$ for a 2,5kg bag and I'd say that is considered pricey here. Unless you get into raw foods, most brands are much lower. I'd say the price of TOTW is on par with most foods available around here. I will think of Australia next time I moan about having to buy dog food lol!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow that's quite high. Even here in the Netherlands 2k bag of Taste of the Wild is usually 15 euro (so 17-18$ I think). Must be so cheap in the US!

My current food is around 32$ for a 2,5kg bag and I'd say that is considered pricey here. Unless you get into raw foods, most brands are much lower. I'd say the price of TOTW is on par with most foods available around here. I will think of Australia next time I moan about having to buy dog food lol!
Lol I always :rolleyes: when i read people in the US complaining about paying like $20 for a small bag of premium food... A 13kg (28lb) bag of TOTW is $105. An equivalent quality Australian made and owned food costs $147 for 15kgs.

There's no way i'd be able to feed multiple large dogs. One lil hound costs enough!

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Lol I always :rolleyes: when i read people in the US complaining about paying like $20 for a small bag of premium food... A 13kg (28lb) bag of TOTW is $105. An equivalent quality Australian made and owned food costs $147 for 15kgs.

There's no way i'd be able to feed multiple large dogs. One lil hound costs enough!
Australia definitely has some very high food prices, but not quite as bad as it seems at first glance if you're listing Australian Dollar prices and not US Dollar prices. TOTW 28-lbs runs right about US$50, so current exchange rate of AUD$105 would make that like paying US$75 for the bag. So around 50% more rather than double.

Or, if you're listing the US$ equivalent price, then dang, I really feel lucky to have affordable food!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Australia definitely has some very high food prices, but not quite as bad as it seems at first glance if you're listing Australian Dollar prices and not US Dollar prices. TOTW 28-lbs runs right about US$50, so current exchange rate of AUD$105 would make that like paying US$75 for the bag. So around 50% more rather than double.

Or, if you're listing the US$ equivalent price, then dang, I really feel lucky to have affordable food!
No, you did the correct conversions :)

It just really irks me that i can get an American/imported food for cheaper than an Australian product.

One of the Aussie made foods that is in my rotation is called "stay loyal", which translates to stay loyal to your dog and your country lol

Here are the details, I would be interested to hear if you have any American foods similar to this (I'm always so jealous of your incredible selections). This is the $49 for 3kg one.

Ingredients
Turkey Meal, Pork Meal, Salmon Meal, Sweet Potato, Tapioca, Chicken Fat, Green Peas, Green Beans, Natural Chicken Flavour, Green Lentils, Kelp, Fish Oil, Fruits and Vegetables (Apples, Broccoli, Blueberries, Carrots, Kale, Spinach, Tomato), Vitamins (A, D, E C, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 and B12), Trace Minerals (Iron, Copper, Manganese, Zinc and Selenium), Salt, Potassium Chloride, Psyllium Husk, Prebiotic (Fructo-oligosaccharide), Yucca Shidigera, Rosemary Extract, Turmeric, Mixed Tocopherols.

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein 32.00% Minimum
Fat 16.00% Minimum
Fiber 4.00% Maximum
Salt 0.75% Maximum
Omega 3 0.50% Minimum
Omega 6 2.50% Minimum
Vitamin E 300 IU/kg Minimum
Vitamin C 100mg/kg Minimum

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
That does seem a quite good ingredient line-up and the protein/fat also a nice balance. Named meat meals at the top of the list is generally a highly recommended thing to look for when reading labels as meat meal doesn't have the water weight of the meats so its more concentrated protein; on the other hand, having three different names meat meals can be ingredient splitting as each is listed in proportion of pre-cooked weight so unless the protein content from animal sources is listed specifically, it can be that 3 meat meals in one formula are only the same proportion of protein as 1 or 2 meal meals in another formula.

Off hand, something similar available in the US and it's online price---
Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Lentils, Duck Meal, Field Peas, Turkey Meal, Chickpeas, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Tapioca, Salmon Meal, Menhaden Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E)), Flax Seed Meal, + (micronutrients/vitamins/etc)
CRUDE PROTEIN 30.0% min
CRUDE FAT 16.0% min

5 lbs (2.25 kgs) for US$17-18. Which would be AUD$24-25. This is a very well regarded brand (Annamaet Grain-Free) but it does mix lentils, peas and chickpeas into the ingredient list between those named meat meals.

Here's my current food--
Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Beef Meal, Whole Grain Millet, Blood Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Menhaden Fish Meal (source of DHA-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Pork Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Flax Seed + (micro nutrients and minor ingredients)
CRUDE PROTEIN 38.0% min
CRUDE FAT 18.0% min

US$10 for 5 lbs/2.25kgs so about AUD$14 (I buy 40 lbs bags for US$55)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. What's the brand of your current food?

I would walk over hot coals to get my hands on Orijen! But because of all the cat deaths due to irradiation last time it was available here, I doubt it will ever come back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts