Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Pans ears are pretty rose snapped right now so I have decided to tape them down so they hopefully will lay flat. Anyone experienced with taping ears flat? What age did you start? What method and materials did you use?

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
Let me tape yours down for a while!
...It really doesn't bother the dog. Can you wear a band-aid? It's about the same level of thing. I don't even know what you're thinking of here.

Reactions: Christene

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Not sure what rose snapped means and which breed it goes to... :) know a collie breeder that would glue the tips down in her pups as soon as they stood, very young age, as they were not old enough to go to their new homes yet.

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
Not sure what rose snapped means and which breed it goes to... :) know a collie breeder that would glue the tips down in her pups as soon as they stood, very young age, as they were not old enough to go to their new homes yet.

Those are Rose ears.

Or to use one of my own images:

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
I'm used to seeing people vehemently oppose ear cropping, but this is the first time I've seen someone upset over taping ears! Wow.
Yeah, I don't even know how you can get worked up about that one. It seems annoying for the owner, and to be honest I THOUGHT about taping Thud's down in an attempt to avoid what they're doing now, but in the end it wasn't worth it for ME.

But I figure the ability to fold, flop, bend, and twirl their ears without causing distress means taping them down rates at negative zero on the scale of annoyance for the dog.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Thanks CptJack,, I also looked at georgiapeach link.. Can see it will depend on the actual ear construction over all for what your able to get in results.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I don't see the harm in it but...

what's the point? I mean... are they supposed to flop?

·
Registered
19,018 Posts

You can tape ears to be pretty much any shape. I know people that have taped prick ears, drop ears, semi-prick, etc. Why? Some people prefer a certain ear set in their breed or a certain ear set is required by standard. Or they have a dog with two different earsets and want both their ears to match.

We tried taping Nikki's ears and failed. Trey came to us with taped ears and they were pretty much done when we got him (11 months). Once the tape fell off we just left them alone and his ear set was perfect. Most shelties have their ears taped.

I am not sure I'd tape ears again but it really did not seem to bother the dogs.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

I know that in the Dane world, people will tape the natural ears down to help correct/adjust the ear set so the ears will lay more naturally. Sometimes the ears get very wonky and end up staying that way if you don't tape them.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I don't have a problem with ear taping from a welfare pov, or just because people prefer a certain type of ears, but it seems to me that if the reason for taping them is to meet the standard, isn't this counter productive? If you end up breeding a dog who didn't have the right ears they may produce puppies that don't have the right ears, and more taping is required. If the dog doesn't meet the standard, is it right to make it meet the standard by taping the ears?

In some breeds having the wrong ear set is a DQ fault, and if you then tape the ears to make them correct when otherwise you wouldn't even be able to show the dog, that seems to go against everything that breed standards and conformation is all about. How is this different from dying a dog to change its markings when otherwise you wouldn't be able to show it due to a fault?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If the dog doesn't meet the standard, is it right to make it meet the standard by taping the ears?
There's a lot more to a breed standard then just how the ears look. Again, my experience is only with Danes and most of the time it's just your average joe pet owner who is taping the ears down because they look wonky - nothing to do with showing, etc. That said, if someone wants to tape a show dog's ears down then I see nothing wrong with it - if it's helping to correct the way the ears look, where is the harm in that..? If the dog is structurally sound and meets the standard in other areas, then really - the ears looking a bit nicer shouldn't be a huge factor :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.