Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our newest addition to the family a couple month old puppy. Keeps digging from inside our yard under our fence to get out and go to our neighbor's yard. Our neighbors who we received him from. He was depressed and is starting to now come around. Every time I let him out in the yard to do his business he manages to find a way out of our fence and run back to our neighbor who is a couple Doors Down. Our neighbor has the mom and one other Pup. It's not so much that we mind the dog seeing our neighbor for the mom, however we do want him to be trained to stay in the yard. I have looked up multiple ways of keeping him in the yard period to no avail nothing has worked for us. Help please..

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
What exactly have you tried already?

I would suggest chicken wire. Attach it to bottom of the fence and bury the rest in the ground so when the dog goes to dig, he hits the chicken wire instead.

Of course the best solution is to not leave him out unsupervised. He's probably bored and knows there's fun on the other side of the fence.

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
What have you tried?

The most common way people prevent digging is attaching chicken wire to the bottom of the fence, then burying it in the ground about 2-3 ft out from the fence. I've also seen people lay stone pavers along the edges of the fence. Also make sure to check your fence for holes, loose boards, or anything else a puppy could possibly slip out of.

If the dog has repeatedly managed to escape your yard, you need to be out there with him at all times. He should not be unsupervised in your yard, or get any chance to dig. Every time he escapes and gets to go play with his friends, he's self-rewarding that type of behavior. Part of training is preventing undesirable behaviors!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts