Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, yesterday I adopted a wonderful dog that I am told is 3/4 tan and black coonhound and 1/4 collie. His neck and most of his back is black while his underside and cute little fuzzy face are tan. He's just over a year old and weighs around 45 pounds.

I was petting him when we were outside in the sun yesterday and his black fur was hot to the touch and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put a white, NON insulated, shirt on him to cover most of the black? He wasn't panting much and he had lots of water and seemed fine but it's only going to get hotter as summer comes so I worry about my buddy overheating when we're outside.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
A cooling jacket might be an option, they are reflective and breathable.

I don't think a white tee shirt will help much and unless its wetted down often, may make him warmer.

Just plan to act like people did before air conditioning. Exercise early mornings, stay in shaded areas and aim for grass or dirt surfaces rather than pavement or concrete, always have cool fresh water available, acclimate slowly to being out in the heat and take frequent breaks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks a lot! I've never owned a darker colored dog before so the thought never crossed my mind until I felt how hot he was. Thanks for the advice, it's basically what I do to avoid the heat myself so we can just keep on keepin' on!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
^^ What she said. Avoid midday outings whenever possible, make sure he drinks plenty of water, and keep an eye out for signs of distress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers so fast! I'll avoid the shirt and keep an eye on him. I converted my small camera bag into a doggy walk bag so I have a bottle of cold water, some different treats, a serving of his food, his rope toy, his squeaky ball and a tea towel (For cleaning his paws). I am going to get him a backpack and soon he'll carry his own little doggy walking kit. I invested in some poopy bags and a holder for his leash after a slight mishap involving a grocery bag with a hole in it.. I'm just glad I was in my backyard when it happened.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My dog is all black and gets overheated easily in the summer. Some dogs have more tolerance for heat than others, but you just have to keep an eye out for signs of discomfort/distress. I've learned the signs of my dog getting too hot (panting a certain way/speed, his tongue hanging all the way out, starts wanting me to pick him up/lagging behind) and we quit immediately when I see those signs. I never want to push him too far in the heat.

When we do stuff outside during the day in the summer, I always soak him beforehand and keep an extra water bottle to keep him wet and cool. That's been the most helpful thing for us, other than just trying to do everything in the mornings and evenings. That's essentially what the cooling jackets do (you wet them and the dog wears it and reaps the benefits of evaporation). My dog takes a while to dry with his coat type, so just wetting him down good once and then spritzing a few times after works.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
The others have all given good advice. I would say adding a t-shirt would make him even more hot.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
We get these for our dogs in our club. We now have 4 black German Shepherds and two that are bi-color so mostly black. You can spray these with water and the weave is such that with a little shade and breeze you can put your hand under the coat and feel the coolness. Can't use them in a trial but you can use them training and in the truck or dog trailer etc. waiting to trial.

http://www.horseworks.com/inc/sdetail/k9_kooling_coat/157/181

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I am going to nix the shirt and treat him like I do myself (I do not like sweating so I try to keep myself cool enough that I don't. After 32 years I've gotten pretty good at it :D )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts