Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's probably nothing I can do, but I need to vent to a sympathetic audience. Thanks in advance to anyone who reads and/or comments.

My SIL is just enchanted with Kabota and adored Muggsy. She, and her husband, are in their 20s, have 2 girls, the youngest is 3, and very busy lives. I know these people. They just don't have the time to housetrain, train and exercise a dog, nor do they particularly seem to think it's necessary.

The first time my BIL saw Kabota, 2 days after I got him, he said that Kabota was sad because he is part Golden Retriever and GRs can't be happy indoors. They need to be outside.

o_O

The GR is a highly social, people oriented dog. I don't believe in outdoor dogs, but a GR would be especially miserable stuck outside all the time. When I pointed out that Muggsy had been part GR, too, and was happy indoors with us, he said that's because he was old. Okay, then.

Now, my SIL is stuck on buying a pomsky puppy- half Husky, half Pomeranian. No way to get that from an ethical breeder. Why does she want one? The pictures on the internet are so cuuuuuuuute!

When I pointed out that a Husky mix would need far more exercise than Kabota, and he gets over an hour of walks a day, she said they would fence in the back yard and he would get plenty of exercise.

When I pointed out that she didn't seem to have much time to devote to training, she said "How hard could it be to train a dog to sit?"

At this point, my only hope is that I can convince her to get a female, so when she has a totally out of control, unsocialized miserable dog she wants to get rid of in a year or two, I can take her.

Ugh.

·
Registered
948 Posts
There you go, get it all out your system now, cause when they decide to pull the trigger on the deal, they're going to need your support. You'll somehow have to manage to convince yourself that failure is not a foregone conclusion.

Besides which, I've taught plenty dogs to sit and it's really not that hard.....................

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ugh. I sincerely hope you can either convince her against getting a dog or at least waiting until their kids are older. It absolutely infuriates me when people go, "Aww that dog is so cute! I want!" without doing any research on the breed's activity level, temperament or exercise requirements. I'm going to leave it at that so I don't get into my own rant...good luck.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
It is good to rant every now and then. :)

Your SIL could have another Benny " Devil's Dog " in a year ............... " Sit " was the ONLY thing he knew. :) Keep and eye on the new pup and lend a helping hand ... this way when you have to take it in ... your job will be much easier and the dog not so miserable. :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would assume the husky is the female??? What's wrong with just getting a pomeranian?? They come in wolf sable, after all (well that and about 1,000 other colors)

Or if they want a bigger dog, a Keeshond or Wolf Spitz would be fine. Keeshonden are good dogs, except for the massive amounts of hair they blow twice a year... and keeping them groomed is no easy task, either.

People are so weird.

So, basically they're getting designer dog from parents that will likely not be health tested with the full intention of throwing it in the back yard...

Do they know huskies are escape artists and that pomeranians are nuisance barkers? Plus the hair...oh and will there be hair... People think Pembroke corgis shed alot, but they have NOTHING on huskies.

Plus, training a husky? Not the most easy dog to convince that sitting on command is a good idea! ;-) Same for Poms. Poms are incredibly stubborn, but because they're little dogs, no one seems to care that much. ;-)

Keeping that undercoat free of matts is a daily job. Trust me on this.

Not a mix I'd be interested in for sure. Give me a biddable, easy keeper any day. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ugh. I sincerely hope you can either convince her against getting a dog or at least waiting until their kids are older. It absolutely infuriates me when people go, "Aww that dog is so cute! I want!" without doing any research on the breed's activity level, temperament or exercise requirements. I'm going to leave it at that so I don't get into my own rant...good luck.
Thats almost how I got Sam and April. We were going to a visit to a friends house and he was like "you guys wanna see puppies?" my eyes get all big and go "Puppies!" so he brings them all out and there all attacking my toes and jumping on me. we spent hours there just looking at them and playing. When I looked to my bf and asking if we can have one. a sigh came out and he nodded his head. they werent ready to take home but when i went home that night I starting looking up puppy tips, what I would need, etc.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the sympathy. I will help them however they ask. I will grind my teeth and keep my thoughts to myself and help as much as I am allowed. Yes, I will.

I suppose it's possible they'll turn out to be fine dog owners, but when you're starting from a base of "dogs are happiest separated from the family at all times!" I don't have much hope.

Fortunately, Muggsy was the Devil Dog when I got him. So I have experience there. He turned out to be a wonderful pet and my best friend.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Oh dear, some people aren't meant to be dong owners, but they fall in love with the novel idea of it all and sometimes there is no convincing otherwise.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can almost guarantee if they get a Pom/Husky mix, they will dump it within a year. That dog would not only be extremely high needs in terms of exercise, the grooming requirements would be insane. Not to mention training 0_o. It's a shame some people see dog ownership as nothing past a cute little pup...it is so much more than that. I guess just be ready to support them, because it sounds like they will need it!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't even think of the grooming! Muggsy had a double coat and I had to brush him every single day. I also had to sweep the hardwood floors twice a day because they got furry in hours. I went through a new vacuum cleaner at least every 6 months. And I'm not talking about shedding season, this was when he wasn't shedding!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Definitely mention the grooming thing. Maybe if you can't talk them out of a dog, at least try to talk them into a different breed. I don't know these people or how easily they accept new information, but maybe if you explain the problems with unethical breeding (and always how these problems will be THEIR problems) it will help?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Definitely mention the grooming thing. Maybe if you can't talk them out of a dog, at least try to talk them into a different breed. I don't know these people or how easily they accept new information, but maybe if you explain the problems with unethical breeding (and always how these problems will be THEIR problems) it will help?
Is that relevant to people who buy dogs as fashion accessories?

When you buy a painting to match the drapes, do you really care who the painter is?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hate when people don't think things through. I swear I've taken in dogs from friends and family that HAD to have the dog and then when it tore their house up or went after someone and now don't know what to do. Luckily I've been able to rehome almost all the dogs or kept them but still. What makes me even madder is when I find out they now have a new dog. Just not fair to the poor dogs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What I don't understand is how anyone can look at "mans best friend" and claim they are happiest outside, away from their family in the backyard....how?? It makes me so mad. That's just nonsense and I think it's just an excuse to keep the house clean from the dog, and a reason not to exercise it. It's a sad one at that.
Maybe you could do as the others suggested and advise them on the unethical breeding of "designer breeds". Warn them that the parents will not be health tested and so they will probably be looking forward to emptying their wallets on this puppy. Ask them what their ideal dog is, grooming-wise, exercise, behavior, etc. They are going to want one that will tolerate kids mischief well. Things like that. If they are the type of people to brush off everything you say and whatever help you try to give, I guess all you can do is support them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts