Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put Luna on a joint supplement, but I'm really not sure which way I want to go.

My vet talked about a few different options we could do, but I'm just not sure which avenue is best for us.

Currently I'm considering;

Glucosamine chondroitin- seems to mainly come in pill form and seems like it could be expensive.

Omega something or other (I don't remember the specific number, I have a note but not with me atm)- have heard this needs to be paired with vit E.

He also mentioned a pet specific brand joint supplement they sell at the clinic but I'm guessing this would be the most expensive so am not really considering it.

Any advice or experiences to offer?

Keys are;
-Relatively easily accessible (I don't want to have to make a special trip to buy it if I can avoid it)
-Relatively cost effective (this can't break the bank)

I have also currently been supplementing with coconut oil and am unsure if I want to pair that with the joint supplement or stop. Thoughts?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
You can get human glucosamine/chondroitin for fairly cheap. Just give her the same dosage the dog supplement recommends for her size, it's the same stuff.

Omega 3 fatty acids (with vitamin E added) are also cheaper when marketed for humans. Coconut oil and fish oil have different uses so you can give both, but too much oil might upset her systems. . .just go by what she can tolerate.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
No answers but jumping board because I keep hearing Berners need them and to start them as puppies. And I don't know what I need.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I tried the human glucosamine/chondroitin....no visible improvement.
Tried the Head to Tails Hip & Joint....no visible improvement and expensive.
Now on Green Lipped Mussel Extract...significant improvement with mobility.
Cost is $53.25/300 capsules. Cdn currency plus shipping.

Taken from the book The Magnificent Irish Wolfhound by Mary McBryde
Green Lipped Mussel Extract:
A dried concentrate of a shell fish which contains very high levels of polysulfated glycosoaminoglycans
(GAGs) (also known as mucopolysaccharides),which are a normal constituent of both synovial fluid
and articular cartilage in the joints. This product has been researched and used effectively for 20 years
in the American racehorse industry to heal joint damage, connective tissue damage, and tendon
damage. Well-documented results show huge improvements in healing. GAGs are potent proteolytic enzyme
inhibitors and diminish or reverse the loss of cartilaginous mucopolysaccharides; they also improve
joint function by stimulating synovial membrane activity, reducing synovial protein levels, and
increasing synovial fluid viscosity in damaged joints. Giving a dog GAGs orally, in the form of
Green Lipped Mussel extract, produces effective results in repairing OCD of the shoulder joint in
young Irish Wolfhounds, according to a wide variety of owners and breeders who have tried this
treatment rather than using surgery. I have found the product to be an effective treatment for
any joint damage, and for general stiffness in older Wolfhounds - it certainly gets them galloping
and playing again. It is available from most chemists, drug stores and health food shops.
End Quote

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I would love to see papers proving their efficacy. I've had Soro on joint supplements and fish oil for years, and stopped giving them ~2 years ago. I see no difference. Then again, it is hard to say... Maybe giving it to him for ~7 years is the reason why I am not seeing any orthopedic issues right now. Maybe by stopping the supplements, he is more susceptible to orthopedic injuries if he ever jumps and lands the wrong way or something... It's really hard to tell.

Either way, I see no harm in giving them and maybe they really are doing a world of good. I think if there is value to them it would be in prevention... A dog with horrible hips or arthritis in old age won't be 'fixed' by joint supplements or fish oil (Adequan injections might help with arthritis though), but one might prolong a dog from getting to that stage if supplements are given when the dog is still healthy. That is my unprofessional opinion, at least :D

On which kinds to give, I agree that 'human' ones are most cost effective. I used to get mine from Costco.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I wasn't a believer in the whole glucosamine deal. Then Toby started getting a little creaky around his back end, so I gave it a try. I think it's really helped him. I go to Rite Aid (a large chain drug store here in the States) and get the generic Glucosamine-sulfate, which from what I've read, is more bio-available than the Glucosamine-HCl. He gets a total of a gram a day. That's one pill twice a day with this formulation. One bottle costs about $20 for 60 pills.

It certainly hasn't made him 5 years old again, but he doesn't seem to be having the problems getting up, especially in the morning, that he had before the medication.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Wet Beards, where do you order your GLM from?

I was also going to recommend Green Lipped Mussel, it's something I have used for myself and I felt a difference on it. I order from xtend life - 120 capsules is about $30USD. Recommended dosage for dogs is 15mg/lb of body weight and the xtend life caps are 600mg each.

·
Registered
777 Posts
We give our old dogs MSM. It's a powdered joint supplement used for horses for decades and it works wonders for arthritis pain. We get ours at any feed store or pet store with a horse supply section. Costs $30-$40 per gallon bucket and the amount you use for a dog is just a pinch or two so it will last years.

They also started selling it for humans in the past decade and my dad swears by it for his knees. He gets stiff, but no pain after a long day of working.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I only give supplements when my dog needs it. My dog has a spinal condition and my vet suggested gluco supplements. I've tried the following with no to little visual improvement: Recovery SA powder, advanced cetyl m, MOVE. Then I decided to make the turmeric paste and that was the thing that helped my dog significantly. He went from limping on and off to no limping even after long walks. Before he would be gimpy at night, but now I haven't seen him gimp around since we started the paste.

I forgot to add that we also tried phycox max for a couple of months with no improvement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts