Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thanks to everyone who taught me about bite inhibition. Bella and I are slowly getting to where she needs to be. She still has her moments when she gets over excited, but otherwise doing well. I was wondering if the bite inhibition would work for this same issue. Bella has a tendency to bite roughly when I go to give her a treat. Does anyone heave any tips for trying to get her to take the treat in a more gentle manner? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
First off, thanks to everyone who taught me about bite inhibition. Bella and I are slowly getting to where she needs to be. She still has her moments when she gets over excited, but otherwise doing well. I was wondering if the bite inhibition would work for this same issue. Bella has a tendency to bite roughly when I go to give her a treat. Does anyone heave any tips for trying to get her to take the treat in a more gentle manner? Thanks. :)
Put the treat in your closed fist and everytime she uses her teeth, pull your hand away, most dogs I've done this with will eventually lick your hand instead, when she does open your hand to give her the treat, any time she's rough, pull it away. I've done this on a few shelter dogs, they seem to catch on pretty quickly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've done the same thing as Skitty and it only took my dogs a few times to catch on. Also, when they finally take it gently, I say, "Gentle. Good gentle". Now any time they get too rough (sometimes they play bite), I can just say, "gentle" and they will stop.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Use Skitty's method. If it doesn't work in a day or two (Give Bella a night to sleep on the training), then yelp softly when teeth touch skin.
Yelping is powerful communication medicine.... .... Don't use the yelp if you don't need to, unless you understand the full effect on Bella.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. The yelping, which we're using in the bite inhibition training is kind of iffy. She tends to get more excited and nip more, but not as hard. I's a work in progress that I don't plan on giving up on. :) The closed fist trick is working. Thanks Skitty. She picked up on it almost immediately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts