Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 25-pound sheepdog/mini poodle mix in an apartment. He's pretty good about not peeing indoors, and he is 6 months old. I've been taking his water away at 9 PM each night and taking him out to pee at midnight and 9 AM. This has been his schedule since he was 3 months old. I was curious, what can I do now that he's older? Could I not take away his water. Could he go from, say, midnight to 11 AM without going out to pee? Thanks

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The only way to know is to try changing up his schedule. However, 11 hours of no potty breaks is excessive for even an adult dog, at least on a regular basis. Yes they can hold it longer overnight, usually, but that seems like a bit much. At 6 months old he is still a baby and really, specially for a relatively small dog, you're lucky he is doing as well as he is now.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
It depends on the dog. It also depends on the activity level. Dogs, like people, can hold it while they're sleeping, but not if they're up and active. I'm going to assume you are not sleeping in until 11 a.m. so I would also assume the dog would need to pee before then too. Also assuming you're up before 11 a.m. why would you NOT take the dog out to pee?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts