Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading another post and started thinking on this some more.

I was already planing on getting up a few times in the night...And I don't go to bed until around 2-3am anyways. But whats the rule of the thumb on how long they can wait to go outside, by weeks? Like when can I instead of waking up every 2-3 hours do every 4-5 est. I'm getting Ty when he's 8 in a half weeks old. I'm also taking 2 weeks off of work for when he comes, to help with the house training and getting to no him more and all that.

Or does it depend on the dog and how fast he/she is on house training and how long they can hold it? Hopefully this makes sense :)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Unfortunately, it's not so simple as "Puppy of x pounds and x days/weeks old can hold it y hours". Lizzie (3 pounds @ 7 weeks) was holding it all the way through the night (and not waking up early!) from the day I brought her home. She'd go if I took her out, of course, but she had the bladder control (as long as she was asleep!) from the beginning. Mal (10 weeks, 15 pounds) needed to go out twice the first week or so!

Rule of thumb is 1 hour per month of age + 1, but it just varies hugely.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, it's not so simple as "Puppy of x pounds and x days/weeks old can hold it y hours". Lizzie (3 pounds @ 7 weeks) was holding it all the way through the night (and not waking up early!) from the day I brought her home. She'd go if I took her out, of course, but she had the bladder control (as long as she was asleep!) from the beginning. Mal (10 weeks, 15 pounds) needed to go out twice the first week or so!

Rule of thumb is 1 hour per month of age + 1, but it just varies hugely.
That's what I figured :) I just thought I'd ask just in case. Thanks so much for your reply Dogstar!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Like Dogstar said, it depends on the puppy, but your plan sounds like a great idea. You will know pretty quickly how long your puppy is going to be able to make it and can adjust from there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a feeling it depended on the puppy, like it does with kids but it never hurts to ask :D Thanks a lot for your reply, BentletheYentle :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts