Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister and her husband got a dog several months back. The dog is a black lab/bull dog (?) mix and still a puppy, but huge! They never bothered to train him or allow him to be around people and for four months he's been stuck in a cage outside. I find this disgusting and irresponsible.

They left town for a trip this afternoon and asked me and my husband to feed it. I've no doubt that they will give us the dog when they return. But we need help knowing what to do first!

When we went over to see him, it was so difficult to get into the pen with him. Although he is very big, he is still quite a pup and has the energy of one. He nearly knocked both of us over. We decided to try to put a leash on him to see if we could take him out to burn some of his energy, but after five minutes of struggling and getting the harness on him, he chewed through the leash in less than a minute and my husband had to chase him down.

Am I going about this all wrong? Should he be taught not to jump onto us before we consider taking him out of the pen? Should the priority be to get him out of the pen and somewhere he can move? I need to know ASAP because knowing what irresponsible people his current owners are, the moment he "hurts" one of the kids, the owners will no doubt have him destroyed and I need to know how to proceed so that we can take over his training.

Also, we have a very rambunctious, but very respectful Jack Russell. Do they meld well with other dogs?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm sure you are upset and frustrated, but your post is a little bit confusing.
How did the dog chew through the leash if you were putting it on him?
And, if you are going to be given the dog when the owners return, how could they "have him destroyed"? Do you want the dog?

I'm just trying to clarify for others that may have a response to your training questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ILuvLucy,

Sorry, I was a bit emotional when I posted. Let me clarify:

I do want the the dog. I was skeptical when my Brother-in-law told me they were getting a puppy because I felt sure they would be terrible pet owners. My husband and I had discussed taking over the care of the dog if they did indeed prove to be unable/unwilling to handle it properly. Now that it's become apparent that they really are not interested in the pup, something has to be done.

My brother-in-law's (B-I-L) family has a reputation for having pets and then when they neglect them and the dog ends up biting someone or they are not able to housebreak the dog, they have taken the animals to the pound where at least in Canton, OH, the dogs are then put down. He and his family think nothing of this. I can see this scenario playing out with this dog, and I would like to avoid this.

Today before my B-I-L left, he dropped off a harness and leash. My husband struggled for a long time to get the harness on the dog and when he did, we then attached the leash to the harness to attempt to walk him. However, he was able to get his mouth around the leash, which he chewed apart and my husband had to chase him down and grab him by the harness and lead him back to the pen.

Is this clear?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Omg...poor thing he's a puppy and all alone in a cage outside. Of course he's excited he's lonely and wants company. First he needs to feel safe and loved then once he trusts you and you have him on a exercise routine he'll calm down some and you can start training.

Can you bring him home now?

·
Registered
29 Posts
is the cage in their backyard? and if so is it secure? letting him run around the backyard for a while before trying the leash would be the best thing also if there is somewhere you can take him that is secure then do that before you even think about taking him for a 'walk' letting him run in a backyard will allow him to get rid of some of his energy as well as allowing you to bond with him with little anxiety of him escaping. with this you can begin to teach him manners such as not jumping coming when called etc.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Poor guy! I'm glad he has you to care for him.

I agree with Kaz. This pup needs to be treated like a new puppy as regards leash and walking. He has no idea what the protocol is so he has to be taught slowly. The most important thing is to get him into a safe space (fully and securely fenced) and let him run. If you have to put several ropes on his harness to get him to the car to take him to such a place, that might work. But he'll need this exercise every day.

One thing you might try for the jumping is just sitting outside the cage right next to the door and right up close to it where you can touch him and he can smell you and you can feed him his food by hand. Sit there quietly for 15 minutes or until he gets used to you being there - until he settles. Then discretely open the latch on the door, keeping your foot on the door frame so he can't open it further, and feed him through a small opening. The idea being to keep him from getting overly excited while you're opening the door.

He's lucky to have you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I imagine that the pup is overly excited because he is jumping for joy at finally getting some attention. Hopefully once he gets used to seeing you every day, that will help, and you'll be able to get his leash on, and get him some proper excericise.

He is lucky to have an advocate!
Let us know how it goes today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts