Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 week old dachshund/chihuahua mix, who I've had for a little over a week now. I've been taking him out every 1-2 hours when I'm home. He's shown that he can hold it reliably for 7 hours overnight, and for 2-3 hours when home alone in his crate. However, sometimes when I take him out, he just stares at me. Sometimes, he'll even sit down, but I tell him "let's go", and stay out there with him until he eventually goes a little bit, and then I praise him and give him a treat.

However, I feel like he may just be squeezing a little bit out to get the treat, and doesn't really have to go. Can I start extending the time between bathroom trips outside, or does his going to the bathroom show that it's still necessary to take him out so often?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think sometimes it's helpful to look at what your puppy is doing rather than just looking at how many hours it has been. My guidelines were to ALWAYS take the puppy out after they wake up, after they eat, and after any period of play time. And of course anytime they started sniffing around looking like them may be looking for somewhere to "go." But as long as you aren't having problems, it sounds like you can start extending the time a bit, just pay attention to what the puppy is doing. If he's running around and playing alot, he will have to go more than if he's just sleeping.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would take Belle out every 1-2 hours for the first few weeks after I got her, and do exactly what you're doing. I'd say "Go Pee" every tiime we were outside, and when she did, it was treat time. Sometimes she would crouch and go pee, and I'd give her a treat...and then a few seconds later she would crouch, then swivel her head to look at me, waiting for a treat.

If I had just let her out less than 2 hours ago, and I kept saying "Go Pee" and she still wasn't going, then I'd take her back inside, and bring her out again 15 minutes later.

It worked for me...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts