Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you say about taking home a puppy at 7 weeks? I've seen a lot of people strongly against it, and warn others to run away if a breeder sells puppies under 8 weeks. While that makes sense to me, I am starting to wonder if taking a dog home at 7 weeks isn't such a bad idea. I did some quick reading on the internet, and saw that a study showed that 7 weeks is actually the ideal age to take a puppy home, as that is when it is confidant, not yet entering the fear stage, eager to please, and easier to bond with.

What are the reasons for leaving a puppy with it's mother and littermates until it is at least 8 weeks old?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I actually got Upendi at four weeks, but before you bash me it's only because her mother completely rejected the litter, and the people who had her knew nothing about puppies, they didn't even know to worm them. As a result when I got Upendi she was very sickly and it took a lot of work and long hours to nurse her back to health. As for 7 weeks, I've also read that that's the ideal age. I think the reason for 8 weeks is to learn more doggy manners from their littermates and mother.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I actually got Upendi at four weeks, but before you bash me it's only because her mother completely rejected the litter, and the people who had her knew nothing about puppies, they didn't even know to worm them. As a result when I got Upendi she was very sickly and it took a lot of work and long hours to nurse her back to health. As for 7 weeks, I've also read that that's the ideal age. I think the reason for 8 weeks is to learn more doggy manners from their littermates and mother.
My Smalls was the same story. Got her between 4-5 weeks. Surgery, nursing her back to health, and dealing with her behavioral and health problems were a nightmare. It's been over 2 1/2 years since I got her, and I'm still not quite ready to raise a puppy again.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the things I've always heard about 8 weeks are the socialization and bite inhibition kinds of stuff.
Bite inhibition is what I've been hearing, too, but someone pointed out to me that if the breeder lets the rest of the litter go at 7 weeks, there really isn't much point on leaving the pup to learn about that is there? Is that the only pro to leaving a pup until 8 weeks?

Socialization doesn't make sense to me, though. Wouldn't the pup be exposed to more people if it left it's litter to go to a family that made sure the pup met many, many new people?

(Oh - just wanted to confess, I'm asking this because I might be *probably am* bringing Mr. Long Awaited for Puppy home at 7 weeks at the breeder's recommendation :D)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
It used to be 16, then 12, then 10, then 8. Now 7. Next 6. I had a girl bring a 5 week old GSD she bought into the store because "The breeder let them go, because the mom weaned them".

·
Registered
329 Posts
wow 16 weeks ??? From the books I have read on dog physcology the prime time is between 7 to 10 weeks of age.When you go beyond that and have that pack dynamic and they start to bond to the pack and not the person.I think alot of socialization depends on the breed of dog,size of the litter and the program and time that the breeder put into her/his socailization and breeding program in general.Each breed is different some stronger/dominant breeds need work with bite inhibitation so the breeder should compensate on that.This being said I really don't think they should leave before 7 weeks of age at all even if they are orphaned.

But just a heads up you do not want to take that puppy anywhere until it has at least 2 puppy shots (I am even more paranoid with mine but anyway) parvo and other things are out there so be safe rather then sorry and keep your puppy at home till you get the OK from the breeder or Vet.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i've said this b/4 on other posts about this that the best bond i have had w/ any of my dogs were the ones i got at 6-7 wks old....Lacey was gotten at 6 1/2 wks and Titch was born here and the bond is extreme between the each of them and i and less between dog/dog......Tir is really close but we seemed to miss some connection in that last wk of not having her (she was brought home at 8-8 1/2 wks)....and i have no social problems w/ any of them and no bite problems w/ them....nor any other issues like SA, DA, etc...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think it can vary from breed to breed and pup to pup. BUT my feeling is that placing pups before they are 8 weeks at minimum is similar to kicking your 3 yr old out of the house and expecting them to do well in life. Like that 3 yr old the puppy also has to learn basic life skills, that is something that no human can teach and really needs to be done by mother dog.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
In Switzerland it's illegal to sell a dog before 12 weeks old and in France before 8.

If you're going to buy your dog from a reputable breeder or someone that knows what they're doing (rescues and the like) I think it's best to leave the dog be with its litter mates so he identifies with the canine specie and learn dogie manners.

If the dogs are not cared for in the way they should, I'm ok with taking them early, however people have to realise that the puppy may be overly attached to them and will have a harder time stop puppy nipping.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Back in the Jurassic era 7 weeks was the accepted norm. I definitely would not want my puppy after 8 weeks of age, as I have always liked to build my own pup. I really never had any problems with the 7 wk old pups. This is not advice just personal practises.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Echo was 7 weeks when I got her... although my sweet mutt did not come from a breeder. She was with her litter/mother up until that time tho. She has had some issues with bite inhibition which she's finally working through pretty nicely, but that's all. Everything else with her has been a breeze... really couldn't have asked for a better puppy.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
I've had three puppies...two came to me at 9 weeks from breeders, the first at 10 weeks, from the local shelter.
One question to ask yourself: does your state have a law against transferring before a certain age? Here, in NH, it is 8 weeks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ok I am going to throw this out there as someone that has had/raised multipule litters and seen the same thing with every litter we have had so far.my mothers have always left the pups at around 4-5 weeks of age and they don't look back.If she does decide to come around to check in on them it is a quick hop in and back out.Because the mom's know that the first thing the babies always want to do is nurse on them (and duh they have sharp teeth and it cut's them up). No amount of barking growling or whatever stop's them.I strongly believe that re-homing the babies around that 7 to 9 week period is critical to there devlopement

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've always heard that it's best between 8-9 weeks.But the normal release around here is 6-7 weeks. Most people,not reputable breeders try too get rid of them as soon as they start eating regular puppy food,or whatever they feed them.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I got all of my planned pups at 7 weeks. I read in a book that the 49th day was best, and I went with that. Those pups always worked out extremely well. Their working out well may have as much, or more, to do with the fact of the research and planning I put into the acquisition--I dunno. I also take 2 or 3 weeks vacation to bond with a new pup, get him on a schedule, and let him explore his new environment in total security.

Anyway, I always felt that the more I had control of the pup's early development, the better off we'd all be. If the breeder is going to begin socialization (with lots of people), house training, and puppy obedience training, then it doesn't matter (with most breeds) if they hang onto the pups for the first year.

I wouldn't go earlier than 7 weeks, but lots of abandoned pups have been raised to be good dogs even from 5 or 6 weeks.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
It's not uncommon for toy breeders not to let their puppies go until 12-16 weeks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I got Chloe at 16 weeks. No issues, ever, except the normal semi-crazy puppy stage. She was attached to us immediately and it has never ended! She has bonded equally well with both myself and my daughter. She is our shadow, and her temperment is almost perfect.

I can't explain why, nor say it's because she was 16 weeks when we got her, but she is an amazingly well mannered dog and behavior wise I have no complaints.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I got all of my planned pups at 7 weeks. I read in a book that the 49th day was best, and I went with that. Those pups always worked out extremely well. Their working out well may have as much, or more, to do with the fact of the research and planning I put into the acquisition--I dunno. I also take 2 or 3 weeks vacation to bond with a new pup, get him on a schedule, and let him explore his new environment in total security.
We took home our boys just past 7 weeks, thinking that since we were getting littermates and had a mother figure in our older girl (for the bite inhibition "training"), and I work from home and have been able to spend plenty of time with them, that it would be okay. (And it's been more than okay... they've done better than I could have imagined, in every way.) I think if I weren't able to spend a lot of time with them, and/or they were going to be an only puppy, I would have waited until 8 weeks.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts