Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

So, my 4-year-old, adopted Pug has been a really awesome dog...except for one thing: her potty habits. When either me or my fiancee take her out, she can take upwards of 20 minutes to do her business. This wouldn't be too bad if it was only a few times a day, but it's becoming very, very frequent since we've been having issues with her going inside. Sometimes we take her out right after we get home from work and she will just not go even after we've walked her everywhere and think she just doesn't have to go...then we walk inside and she'll pee on the carpet. Other times she'll pee outside and, once back in the house and no less than 5 minutes later, she's peed on the carpet.

It is really becoming utterly frustrating for both my fiancee and I. We take her out so often only for her to find time in between to mess inside. The only "good" thing about the situation is that she only pees in the house.

She's also VERY stubborn about going outside. She seems to hate walking in the grass and normally won't start walking around for a scent IN the grass unless I tug her a little bit and she gives in. This wouldn't be AS frustrating and more understandable if we didn't know she HAS to go. Because when we do cave in to this stubbornness...she goes inside minutes after we bring her back in...

We love our new Pug and think she's an awesome dog, so it upsets us that she's perfect in everyway except for her hard headedness over this pottying business.

Any help on this matter would be great.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Probably not a huge help, but...

Someone told me once NEVER to bring the dog inside or end the walk (or even head for home) right after the dog has pottied. Otherwise, the dog learns to hold it as long as possible so as to prolong the walk/outside time.

Also, you didn't mention a crate in your post. If you're not using one for potty training, you need to start ASAP. If you can't be watching her like a hawk when she's inside, she needs to be crated - at least until you can trust her.

·
Registered
691 Posts
You didn't mention this, so I'll add my opinion on what may help - FOOD! Most pugs are extremely food driven and can be quite easy to train using the right treat. I know she's 4, but if you need to go back to square one with housetraining, by all means start using treats!

I use a special treat JUST for potty training. Make sure it's a "high value" treat - like stinky cheese or bits of a hot dog - that you only use when she pees outside. I also used to say "go potty" to Chloe when she was a puppy so there is a word associated with her doing her business.

Pugs are also known to thrive and crave positive attention, so making a huge deal of her pottying outside may also work. I used to look like a crazy person when Chloe was a puppy! I would say "Yea! Good girl!" and clap... she went nuts and was so happy when I did that.

I wish you luck!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Someone told me once NEVER to bring the dog inside or end the walk (or even head for home) right after the dog has pottied. Otherwise, the dog learns to hold it as long as possible so as to prolong the walk/outside time.
I've read that too - and I don't know if it's true - but I make sure I never end the walk or go home right after pottying. I want it to be like "sigh, I have to get this over with".

One thing I'm thinking is if it's the carpet itself. I.E. that's the surface she'd prefer to pee on. Mentioning that she doesn't like to go on the grass also makes me think this.

Just as an idea, is there a way you could get a section of the carpet (like a remnant or something) outside and see if she'll pee on it?

I might be off base but I know Wally will hold his pee/poo as long as he's not on a "favorable" surface. Like if we're walking on the sidewalk and stayed there, he'd never eliminate. Had this problem during some times in the winter with his poo. He wouldn't do it on snow/ice - at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts