Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bentley is going to MO with me this year for 3 days of camping!! We go every year for my moms side's family reunion. This will be Bentley's first year. I took Tank 2 years ago and he did great. I know for a fact they have to be up-to-date with rabies vaccines for the campground and even to go to a different state. I read somewhere if you are from a different state and get pulled over and have a dog aboard that is not UTD on rabies you can get a fine or something? Anyone heard of that? It is no worry to me there are UTD on all there shots.

I need to make sure I am bringing everything I need. It has been awhile,lol.

-extra collar/leash(collar with tags)
- tie-out
- blanket
-food/water bowels
- Long line(unless swimming dogs have to be leash 24/7)
- tennis balls(he is crazy for them and will go insane without them)
- vaccine records
- Number to a vet close to the campground in-case of an emergency(I will most likely use my grandpas vet but better to be safe than sorry)
-His personal fan for at night(if we get an electrical spot if not one of those battery ones)

Anything I am forgetting? I have until July 18th but my schedule is tightly packed. Me and Bentley have 4-H fair and the Junior fair in two weeks . I have other things going on this week and next so I have to prepare a head of time. I am also helping this helps with his socialization! he has been socialized so no worries but he could be a little better! My uncle has 2 pit bulls he is bringing, my grandpas Yorkie and chi(I am not spelling the whole name, i am lazy,lol), 3 of my cousins have dogs and the dogs we meet on our walks in the morning around the camp-ground. The only problem I will have is him wanting to harass the Geese!! I took him to a local park today and there was tons of geese and ducks and had to say leave it a million times. I can work on it though and get him better with Leave it! Tank I say it once and he is "okay mom, I wont mess with then". Bentley is "I want to chase them I cant resist, ignore mom!". he knows the command but is stubborn!! he isnt even the one with the higher prey drive, it is Tank! I dont know what it is about Geese that sets him off. Maybe him being there will keep the geese away from our camp-site!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I usually also bring a coulpe of dog beds (one for in the tent and one for outside), a dog jacket, medical kit, and extra poop bags. Oh yeah, and a dog harness.

Have fun!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just took a "fake sheepskin" pad for my dog to sleep in the tent on. otherwise we struggle for a couple of hours finding a mutually comfy position on my sleeping bag. And I'd take something to tie him/her when you go somewhere he/she can't go. In my case, I had to tie mine up because she kept trying to go back to the parking lot. She was fine with a day hike, but staying all night was something she didn't think we should be doing.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he will be on a leash even in the water so know need for a life jacket. I have a light up collar for the dark do you think I should bring it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I"m not sure who may agree, but be careful with the leash while swimming especially if you can't see the bottom of the water. There may be things the leash or long lead could get hung up on. Have you had him swimming on a leash before? Is Bentley a good swimmer? (I haven't been here long enough to have read much about this particular dog in posts, so it seems a natural question.)

A neighbor decided once to teach their dog to swim my throwing it in the pool while attached to a long tie out. The dog was struggling in the water and they had to literally haul it out. This dog is now fairly well terrified of any contained water, including a kiddie pool. *shrug*

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bentley is a great swimmer(I take him to a lake or pond every weekend) but there is boats allowed where we are swimming. The boats know not to come near us when swimming but I dont want people to see geese and swim so far out he gets hit by a boat:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts