Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 1.5 yo rescue and housetraining is in progress now. I take him to my backyard regularly and wait until he goes. The problem is that except for the very first pee in the morning, it takes forever for him to go. In one occasion, I waited close to 30 minutes. And this is taking so much of my time.

On the other hand, if I take him out for a walk, he usually pees pretty soon, within 3-5 mins on average.

So maybe I should just take him out for a very short walk just for the potty purpose? He can hold pretty well, 4-6 hours is not a problem. So taking him out 2-3 times a day for 3-5 min walks will do the job. Currently, I walk him in the morning for 30 mins or so.

But then I am not sure if this is a good idea or not. If the weather is bad or I am really busy, I may not be able to do that. So it would be great if he could just go quickly in my backyard.

Another idea is just to let him out for like 30 minutes in the backyard without supervision, but then I can't really check if he peed or not.

What do you think? Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Nothing wrong with a short walk. I would caution against going back home right after he goes potty, though--he might learn to hold it in order to get a longer walk. But if you walk for a few minutes after he goes, he shouldn't catch on.

·
Registered
291 Posts
When you take him out in the yard, wait 5 minutes and if he does not go, go back inside. As you walk outside tell him "go pee" or whatever and then say nothing more, just go back inside. Wait 10 minutes or so and then go outside again - same actions. Repeat until he goes to the toilet and then throw a party.

If you are consistent with this he will learn "go toilet" means big rewards and cuddles if he does his business quickly.

On the exercise front 30 minutes walk a day is no where near enough. Twice that as a minimum and throwing a ball part of the time would help tremendously.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts