Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard stories of dogs who have strangled themselves because their collar got hooked on their crate and they panicked. This is why I always take my dogs' collars off at home.

I take Kane to work with me and he does wear his collar there. Today I have him with me, but I put him in his crate because there is another dog in the office today. A few minutes ago a heard some banging sounds in his crate and looked over and his collar had hooked onto the crate and he was struggling to get free. I kept calm and went over to him right away. He stopped struggling and let me take his collar off (another reason I use quick release collars too!). Once he was free I had trouble getting his collar unhooked, even without a dog attached to it! Wow. I never really expected it to happen to us, but it just did.

Collar1.jpg
Collar2.jpg

Please take off your dog's collar when they're in their crates!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I keep wondering about collars...

Keep one on for the small chance that they'll get lost... versus getting choked when playing with other dogs, getting it stuck somewhere when they play outside, getting it stuck in the crate...

What's the point of the collar then if you use a harness outside anyway?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I put their collars on when we leave the house (with the dogs). It's more likely that they'll get loose at that point than they will get hooked on something, so it's the lesser of two evils. For walks they wear their collars even if we are using a harness (collars have all their tags, etc.).

If we board the dogs overnight I request their collars be removed for the night. At daycare, they won't take collars off, but they are supervised constantly so if something were to happen they could go over and take the collar off (again - quick release is the way to go IMO).

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Yikes, scary! I don't leave collars on when I leave the house. Not that my dog's play when we are gone.. but one is a collar grabber. They also wear quick snap collars. They are only for tags anyway, as I walk them on harnesses. This kind of thing is a fear of mine!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Snowball wears his collar all the time, but he is old, his collar is buried by fluff so he is unlikely to brush against anything hard enough to snag his collar on it, and he is never crated.... But something like this is exactly why Ida doesn't wear a collar in the house any more - I came home to her trying to escape her crate by folding it in on herself, and she had managed to get her head stuck through one of the sides. Nope nope nope. Even though she's not crated when we're gone any more, she likes small spaces sometimes, so no collars in the house for her.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Very scary. I have never had a dog catch on something solid but a watching some collar biter types play is enough to have the dogs go "naked" when safely contained.

My balance of risk of collar vs ID is basically microchip, collars on any dog that is supervised and loose but a possible escape risk (door darter, maybe fence digger or jumper), flat tags only (Boomerang), and no collars when crated or home alone during the day. Adding tags to a harness if a dog usually wears on for walks is a good idea.

A tag collar with a breakaway ring is a great middle ground. Some are smooth braided leather with a ring that can be bent with moderate force but not unclasped with a push like say, a cat style breakaway collar.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But something like this is exactly why Ida doesn't wear a collar in the house any more - I came home to her trying to escape her crate by folding it in on herself, and she had managed to get her head stuck through one of the sides. Nope nope nope.
Yep - Kane has actually escaped his crate more than once. I'm so glad he wasn't wearing his collar then too.

My balance of risk of collar vs ID is basically microchip, collars on any dog that is supervised and loose but a possible escape risk (door darter, maybe fence digger or jumper), flat tags only (Boomerang), and no collars when crated or home alone during the day. Adding tags to a harness if a dog usually wears on for walks is a good idea.
Pepper has a boomerang tag, but I still have her city license tag and rabies tag on her collar. I could get a boomerang tag for Kane too, but honestly - if Kane were loose there's no way anyone would be able to get close enough to him to actually read it.

A tag collar with a breakaway ring is a great middle ground. Some are smooth braided leather with a ring that can be bent with moderate force but not unclasped with a push like say, a cat style breakaway collar.
I'm not a fan of this idea. My dogs have been known to give a sudden lunge and I'm afraid it would break then and I'd have a loose dog and possible a dog fight on my hands.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
The breakaway collar is not meant to grab at or hold a dog in any way. Strictly as a tag collar for a dog that might slip out a door or such so that a stranger would be able to read a tag without having to check for a chip.

Never attached to a leash.

Some people carry rabies tags on their key chains so that they are available if needed but not dangling. My dogs have the 3 year rabies vax so their tags are almost useless as they are only dated for the first year (poorly planned system). I keep a scan of their vax certificate on my phone and if animal control ended up with them for some reason, their chips would show the 3 yr vax up to date

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Oof. Glad this was a harmless incident! I hope it hasn't put Kane off to his crate!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Dogs have been killed by their collars. Hung in crates.. (thankfully you were right there) but also two dogs playing outside. One gets a tooth caught in the other dog's collar and panic ensues. Can't get the collars off and one dog can end up with a broken jaw.. or teeth and the other dog suffocated.

Here the dogs are never together but I do not leave collars on. I have leather ID collars with a center ring they can slip when I travel (learned this from the hunting cog folks).

Glad this worked out OK.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We have two Cattle Dog's, and they will pull each other around by their collars. Not even kidding. They've even been known to grab a leash to pull the other around with... My pups go nekid at home.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad this was a harmless incident! I hope it hasn't put Kane off to his crate!
Thanks! No he's always loved his crate and still does. He was only caught for a few seconds at most and I stayed completely calm, which probably helped. He was only tugging at it a bit and I think he was more just confused as to why he couldn't move. He hadn't started to panic yet thankfully. It happened as he was sleeping, then got up to turn around to shift positions.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You can see by the photo that the collar got attached to the crate by the clip connecting the tags to the collar. Two of mine have no tags hanging on their collars, one does though. The one that wears the tags though is never crated. The other two do dog sports so that is why no tags. Mine do wear their collars all the time. Glad your boys is ok.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can see by the photo that the collar got attached to the crate by the clip connecting the tags to the collar. Two of mine have no tags hanging on their collars, one does though. The one that wears the tags though is never crated. The other two do dog sports so that is why no tags. Mine do wear their collars all the time. Glad your boys is ok.
Yes, on that clip there is supposed to be a bar going across that locks it from opening. A few days before this incident I noticed that locking bar was gone. I had already put it on my list to get a new one (which I have now).

I don't keep the dogs' tags on a key chain, on the leash, or anywhere else because we have two dogs. So they don't always get the same leash. There are also two adults looking after them - sometimes I take them out, sometimes my husband does. Sometimes Kane comes to work with me, sometimes he goes fishing with my husband. It would be too confusing where the tags for which dog are and then remembering to take them or switch them out. They would end up getting left at home most of the time.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Way back in the 80’s our home had floor heater vents. We heard our puppy crying and couldnt find him. Yep, he got his tags caught in the vent. Very scary.

I know of someone who’s dog jumped over the chain link fence; got caught in the choke chain. Dead dog.

Our dogs are naked in the house & our yard, collars with tags when we leave the property.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yes, on that clip there is supposed to be a bar going across that locks it from opening. A few days before this incident I noticed that locking bar was gone. I had already put it on my list to get a new one (which I have now).

I don't keep the dogs' tags on a key chain, on the leash, or anywhere else because we have two dogs. So they don't always get the same leash. There are also two adults looking after them - sometimes I take them out, sometimes my husband does. Sometimes Kane comes to work with me, sometimes he goes fishing with my husband. It would be too confusing where the tags for which dog are and then remembering to take them or switch them out. They would end up getting left at home most of the time.
Yeah I guess I just don't do tags anymore. Mine are chipped so I don't feel the need to have tags. If I did have tags the only one I would have was an id tag. I don't swap collars out though and they cannot have tags for agility so no tags on the collars. I don't even have any id tags for the two agility dogs and I haven't put the rabies tags on the collars for many years as I hated the clinking many tags created before we started doing agility. We did just adopt a senior shelter dog though and they put her chip tag and her rabies tag on her collar. I have just left that. I know lots of people that don't ever have collars on in the house but I guess I like to be able to grab my dog if I need to and a collar helps with that. Hopefully being tagless keeps them out of scary situations with collars getting stuck, although I have heard of two dogs becoming entangled in each others collars if they are fitted too loosely.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's a scary thing. My dogs wear collars now because my yard isn't fenced so I have to take them out on lead to go to the bathroom and it's just easier. I'm not a fan of the noise tags make, so their collars don't have tags - one has my info engraved on the buckle, the other has a metal tag riveted to the collar itself.

Both my dogs are microchipped, but I honestly just get nervous about them being out and about without collars (should they get lost). I guess it's just the idea that if they have a collar, someone will know they have a home. Or should the microchip fail. Both have my phone number on their collars.

I may act different if/when I ever have a fenced yard. It's definitely something I'm concerned about - though they don't play with each other, so that's not much of a worry - but you kind of have to weigh the risks too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wow, so glad Kane is ok!

This post definitely has me thinking. Klara wears her collar all the time unless we have a play date with another dog. She's also never crated, but things could still go wrong so quickly. Hmmm, like I said, something to think about.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
That is scary for both of you!

Bella is nekkid in the house. There was one time she got her tags hooked on the carpet and twice they got caught around the wrought-iron food dish stand thingy and scared the crap out of both of us while she was running in a panic around the house with the food stand attached to her. My imagination goes wild when I think about what could happen if I wasn't there.

And they take collars off at her daycare. Too many bad stories out there about dogs accidentally strangling to death while playing together :(

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
That is scary, but looks more like a clip on the collar actually attached to the crate, rather than the collar itself? I've always kept collars on mine for the most part, knock on wood. Looking inside my crates there isn't anything that appears to be a risk for their collars to get stuck on. So that's a little reassuring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts