Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Australian Shepherd and what I wonder?

Hello Dog Lovers!

I know there are dog DNA tests available, I just thought some outside opinions would be both helpful and fun :)

I adopted this sweet boy from an Aussie Shepherd rescue group four months ago. His name is Wesley, and his doctor estimated he is about 6-7 months old right now. Here are some pictures from approx. 16 weeks of age to today.

Physically: He's starting to grow a little bit of a mane around the neck. Feathered tail, short feathering on the front legs, and between his hind legs under the tail. His brown puppy fur was more of a medium true brown. As the adult fur grows in, it's a really beautiful almost subtle brindle-looking red. His white fur is pure white rather than muted, with brown/red ticking. Brown nose, light amber eyes. He weighs 36lbs right now.

Behaviorally: Wesley is what I refer to as my "velcro dog". I mean, seriously - this puppy follows me into the bathroom. He is not a runner, and prefers to walk at my side rather than on a leash (don't worry, we don't do this in public places). He found a way through my fence (by weasling underneath where the sidewalk drops into the alley) and sat on the other side barking to be let in rather than running away. He likes to dig. He circles other dogs, bites their heels, and pounces at them almost like a cat. He is extremely submissive with people (sometimes rolling over on his back), but does bark and growl if someone approaches the home.

Just wondering what you guys think. I feel he's at least a little Aussie, but have been researching spaniels because of his markings. He definitely has smaller, higher-placed ears than a spaniel, and doesn't have that black nose.

Maybe he's a pattern white Aussie? He did end up at a specific Australian Shepherd rescue group with only one of his litter mates (similar markings). He has a bit of white on one of his ears that may have been more prominent before he grew into them. Regardless, a breeder wouldn't be able to sell a pattern white either. To me he looks like this dog (http://www.lethalwhites.com/dogs/keely1.html) same color with an exception for the tri markings on the face, same ticking, same fur texture, even the same lighter fur patch on the butt. :)

Thoughts?

Thanks! Wes5.jpg WesPark7.jpg wes6mo.jpg wesdashboard.jpg Wesley1.jpg wes6mo2.jpg

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: Australian Shepherd and what I wonder?

Is he red merle? I can't tell from the pics. The first 2 actually made me think Brittany, but he looks very Aussie in the others. Hmmm....

Jen

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

hmmm maybe Aussie, Spanial and/or Border Collie? that face reminds me very much of some red BCs I know, its just thicker more like an Aussie.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

wescone (2).jpg wesfur.jpg Hi Jen!

I was questioning the merle when he was younger because the pigment of his skin has patches, and the paws of his feet are random pink and black, but I think it just turned out to be his ticking spots. I always associated merle with a scattered patchwork look. His brown/red fur is more of a marbled effect. I can now see his adult coat coming in (down his back and around the neck). It looks like the marble effect is transitioning into a much thicker, solid red. His new top coat repels water, with a fuzzy undercoat beneath.

Sorry about the order of the photos, they didn't upload chronologically.
First photo in the grass: About 4 months
Second in the mud: 5 1/2 months
Third on the wood floor: Taken last night (approx 6-7 months old)
Fourth on the dash board: 4 1/2 months
Fifth on my laptop bag: The day I picked him up (3 months old)
Sixth on the rug: Last night as well

Here are two additional photos. One after the vet last week (Wesley was a little loopy on the pain medication), and the other is a close up shot of the red fur I'm talking about.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

hmmm maybe Aussie, Spanial and/or Border Collie? that face reminds me very much of some red BCs I know, its just thicker more like an Aussie.
Hmmmm....that's one I haven't explored yet! I'm not very familiar with borders, so I wasn't even thinking about the fact that they are red as well. Is there a significant size difference between border collies and aussies? He's grown from 11lbs to 36lbs in three months.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

not significant, Aussies are "generally" bigger, but BCs come in a HUGE size range, anywhere from 15-26" tall and 20-60lbs

·
Registered
19,018 Posts

He's actually brindle in color (and ticked and particolor). Really unusual! I agree either a border collie or aussie mix. I am not so familiar with aussies but border collies come in brindle (somewhat unusual and never seen one that color either). My guess would be either BC or Aussie and then a mix of a mix of a mix.

He has GORGEOUS eyes!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

BellyTime.jpg QUOTE=Laurelin;1076930]He's actually brindle in color (and ticked and particolor). Really unusual! I agree either a border collie or aussie mix. I am not so familiar with aussies but border collies come in brindle (somewhat unusual and never seen one that color either). My guess would be either BC or Aussie and then a mix of a mix of a mix.

He has GORGEOUS eyes![/QUOTE]

Thanks, Laurelin! I think so too :)

So.....how exactly am I going to describe my puppy to the microchip company? "You know...he's a brindle particolor, ticked, mix of a mix of a mix of cuteness?" Hahahaha. He's such an awesome dog.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

So cute!
I would probably say a mix of any of these:
border collie
Australian shepherd
brittany
and maybe springer spaniel
Well those are all great breeds (he is pretty smart...which is great because he's trainable...not so great because he gets his way out of things like Houdini....) :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts

I don't see much Aussie (would lean more towards BC) Definitely brindle, not merle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Anyone have feedback (positive or negative) on the pet DNA testing?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts

Anyone have feedback (positive or negative) on the pet DNA testing?
Notoriously unreliable, probably not going to tell you much. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of tests on the market couldn't distinguish between BC and Aussie reliably, as they are closely related.

For what it's worth, I also see a lot of BC in him.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Notoriously unreliable, probably not going to tell you much. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of tests on the market couldn't distinguish between BC and Aussie reliably, as they are closely related.

For what it's worth, I also see a lot of BC in him.
It's worth a lot, actually! I've had GSPs my entire life, so I really didn't know how to spot traits of these breeds for him. I was honestly looking at him like, "Wow, your fur is getting long."

Thanks for the feedback on the DNA testing, too.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

wes6mo4.jpg wes6mo3.jpg

A couple of daylight shots show his new color in a better light, in case anyone else wants to weigh in. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts