Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new pup Eddee seems healthy and playful and leaps and bounds from furniture and from the floor up onto the kitchen table ... and all sorts of crazy strange fun behavior .... but he "Never" wags his tail!

As strange of a question as this is ... I seriously do wonder why a dog would never wag their tail?

Anyone else have a dog like this ... or know why?

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
How old is Eddee ?

Tail wagging can imply excitement - good or bad. It can be a question - do you like me; will you do something for me (scratch me, give me a treat). It can be slow - calm and having a good time. It can indicate "overjoyed to meet you" or "happy to see you".

My dog usually knows my intent, so he rarely wags his tail at me... but he does for particular occasions. However, he wags his tail lots, for other people. I think he wags a little while we walk.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
How does he hold his tail? Is it a full tail or docked?

ETA: LOL, so I just looked at his picture. It's a full tail that he holds curled over his back, right? For some reason I've noticed that dogs who have curly tails don't wag as much, or maybe their tails don't move as much when they do wag so we don't notice. That's my theory anyway :p.

·
Banned
78 Posts
I think its his curly tail. They dont seem to wag that much as Willowy said.

But how about i swap you, my rotten's tail, or Bernie's 3ft massive brush of a tail, for your BF 6 inches of stillness. Lets see who gets the most knocked over coffee cups in one week?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its his curly tail. They dont seem to wag that much as Willowy said.

But how about i swap you, my rotten's tail, or Bernie's 3ft massive brush of a tail, for your BF 6 inches of stillness. Lets see who gets the most knocked over coffee cups in one week?
Lol! I have enough stuff getting knocked over ... between Abbylynn's tail and Eddee's springboard actions! :) Blu Boy has no tail.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How old is Eddee ?

Tail wagging can imply excitement - good or bad. It can be a question - do you like me; will you do something for me (scratch me, give me a treat). It can be slow - calm and having a good time. It can indicate "overjoyed to meet you" or "happy to see you".

My dog usually knows my intent, so he rarely wags his tail at me... but he does for particular occasions. However, he wags his tail lots, for other people. I think he wags a little while we walk.
Eddee is between 10 months and one year old according to the vet. He just lost the last upper canine that looked to be an extra. :/

Maybe it is like everyone says ... it is because he has a really curly tail. I do notice that every now and then he relaxes his tail and lets it go limp .... usually when he is stressed.

Only had him for about two weeks now ..... don't know him well yet.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does he hold his tail? Is it a full tail or docked?

ETA: LOL, so I just looked at his picture. It's a full tail that he holds curled over his back, right? For some reason I've noticed that dogs who have curly tails don't wag as much, or maybe their tails don't move as much when they do wag so we don't notice. That's my theory anyway :p.

Sounds like a good theory! I just thought maybe he didn't care for me ... but he does cuddle up to me ... or come to me to just be pet ... or follows me around it seems. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
could also be that hasn't shown you the tail wagging. i would say give him a bit more time n it will come. my pup doesn't wag her tail much at times n then other times its like ok you don't need to wag it all the time.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Hamilton wags pretty much non-stop. When he's really REALLY happy (e.g. just came home from work) his tail wags in a big circle like a helicopter! We're waiting for the day he takes off.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Hamilton wags pretty much non-stop. When he's really REALLY happy (e.g. just came home from work) his tail wags in a big circle like a helicopter! We're waiting for the day he takes off.
Haha Jubel does that too. Super excited tail wag is either the full body wiggling or his tail goes in circular wags, I love it. Also like it when he starts wagging his tail really hard while his butt is next to sometime (usually the couch) and you hear the thump, thump, thump of each wag to accent the excitement of the occasion.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I've had kabota almost 5 months and he just started wagging his tail recently. He's not terribly enthusiastic about it, either. It's a very hesitant, small side to side that stops quickly. Except when I come home from work, then his tail does a full 360 like a little propellor.

You know that Russian fox project? Foxes don't wag their tails, but within 3 generations, the foxes were wagging their tails. Tail wagging has something to do with humans. Perhaps neither Kabota nor Eddee were ever given a reason by humans to wag their tails before.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had kabota almost 5 months and he just started wagging his tail recently. He's not terribly enthusiastic about it, either. It's a very hesitant, small side to side that stops quickly. Except when I come home from work, then his tail does a full 360 like a little propellor.

You know that Russian fox project? Foxes don't wag their tails, but within 3 generations, the foxes were wagging their tails. Tail wagging has something to do with humans. Perhaps neither Kabota nor Eddee were ever given a reason by humans to wag their tails before.
I have heard of that project .. though quite a while ago ... but I believe you may have a point. I was thinking this as well. I imagine Kaboa and Eddee due to their circumstances in the past probably were not given any reason to wag their tails by humans .... until now. :) Poor pups! Let us hope they do some day .....

I know Kabota had a very rough start in life. I will never know totally about Eddee ... just he was not wanted and his owner(s) surrendered him.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Kit's tail curls over her back, much like Eddee's, but not quite so dramatic (see my avatar). It wags constantly! It's especially obvious if she's in a hard-sided crate: it sounds like a metronome keeping time. It's loud enough that I've had multiple people remark on it at trials and such. I barely notice it anymore, though - just like white noise to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts