Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wirehaired pointing griffon puppy (13.5 weeks) and I was wondering how long a medium/long or 2/3 tail dock should be? Does anyone have an idea of measurements they could share with me? Her tail seems very long.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Why does the tail need to be docked? :(

You can google search images of the breed to see if it looks "right."

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
So is your dogs tail not docked at all? Because you realize that now its amputation not docking.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If I am understanding right her dogs tail is docked she just thinks it looks long.

·
Registered
17 Posts
:lalala: tail docking is illegal for cosmetic reasons in Australia and New Zealand. I'm so glad to live in Australia.... they were born with tails why cause them unnecessary pain? :(

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Fascinating fact: The korthals griffon originates in Holland and Germany. In Holland and Germany, they don't dock the korthals griffon.

Anyway, what the FCI standard says about the docking of the korthals griffon:
TAIL : Carried horizontally or with the tip slightly raised, covered with thick hair but without fringing, generally should be docked by a third or a quarter. If it were not shortened, it would be carried horizontally with its tip slightly raised.

So it's a pretty long tail, even when docked. Don't know if the AKC standard calls for a different dock.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
At her age. her tail probably looks very long. just due to puppy size. the breeder did have it docked, correct?
:lalala: tail docking is illegal for cosmetic reasons in Australia and New Zealand. I'm so glad to live in Australia.... they were born with tails why cause them unnecessary pain? :(
my goodness no need to try and start anything. tail/ear cropping was done for a reason. same could be said for to why to spay and neuter dogs, why give them unnecessary pain?

·
Registered
933 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts