Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Tags/Microchip/Tattoo & More -- A Few Questions

2K views 39 replies 27 participants last post by  melgrj7 
#1 ·
What is written on your dog's tag?

If you have a tattoo on your dog, what does it say?

Microchip -- done it?

I'm curious -- has anyone used all 3?

Anyone get a dog back from a microchip alone? A tattoo? Tags? Anyone have any unusual "loss prevention" strategies for their doggies?

#2 · (Edited)
My dogs are all microchipped. When we are out and about, they wear collars with tags also. Their tags say their names, our address, cell phone number, and our first initial and last name. On the back of a couple of their tags, it says their microchip ID number. At home, none of them wear collars for safety reasons. My old trainer used to tattoo dogs and swears by it but I'm not a big fan. THE main reason being that if you ask the average person who they would call if they found a dog with a tattoo, almost no one knows.....hence making them pretty useless. ;) And beyond that, I think they look kind of ugly on the dog and they tend to fade and are tough to read after a little while. With a microchip and tags, you just can't go wrong! ;)

#4 ·
Sadie's tag has her name and my cell phone. On the back it says "I require daily medication, if found take me to a vet. I have a microchip".

She doesn't really, but she's so cute and fluffy I could imagine someone finding and keeping her, but that kind of person likely won't want to pay for daily meds.

#5 ·
Jesirose - that's a GREAT idea!

Ours are microchipped. We also have collars that are embroidered with their names and our phone number. The embroidery is big enough that someone could read it from a distance if they couldn't catch the dog. (We got them from PetSmart online.) And of course, we have tags too with all the pertinent info. Our dogs (and cats) carry LOTS of identification. :D

#12 ·
Tattoos work best when you go claim your dog if it was brought to the pound or if someone claims it them, when the dog's lost you post up flyers that includes that dogs I.D.

Our Rottweiler had a tattoo in his inner hip, all our other dogs had a rabies tag along with their address and phone number.

#11 ·
Chloe is microchipped and wears a tag. The tag has her name, my address and both my home and cell numbers. The back says "Needs Medication Daily, please take to a vet if found". I got that idea from DF! She has actually had persistant (every few months or so) nail bed infections, so she really is on meds on and off, but it's not life threatening.

I have heard of tattooing but my vet didn't offer it, nor did her breeder (I heard some do this as puppies).

#15 ·
Ted is chipped and tattooed, and has tags.

We got him tattooed because our vet told us it was a good idea--research facilities aren't permitted to accept tattooed animals. It's down on his belly by one of his hind legs, they did it while he was sedated from his neuter.

#17 ·
In our area the Vet tattoos your dog when they are spayed or neutered. When my niece found a little Shih Tzu alongside a busy road, she had a tattoo in her ear and she just phoned up the Vet and they told her who owned the dog. When we first started breeding Scottish Terriers, they were tatooed to be reg. with the Canadian Kennel Club, then they changed to nose prints. I could never see how you would be able to identify a dog from a nose print. The Greyhounds were tatooed in both ears for their Greyhound Coursing Assoc. registry and in the flank for the CKC. Susie has a tattoo in her ear from when she was spayed.

#19 ·
Butch is chipped; Roxxy will be when she has her teeth cleaned on Tues. I need to have Mort chipped. They all have Loony Toons tags with their name, my phone number and "If you found me, I'm lost. Please call my mom".

Mine wear their collars all the time. Since I use halters when I walk them, their collars are loose so if they get caught on something, the collar will slip off. Mort has lost his a couple of times outside.

#20 ·
I have trouble keeping a collar on Coal - nevermind tags! I tried tags with him for the first couple of years I had him but they kept breaking off. He's really hard on collars and tags. He doesn't have any identifaction now, but I honestly don't worry. Everyone around here knows who my dogs belong to (small town thing). When I move I'll invest in identifaction for them.

Linkin use to have a district tag, but it expired. It was licensed to his old owners anyway, and they've moved now. In my town, if you live in town or on the reserve you have to have your dog licensed, but out of town you don't (which is where we live).

So, neither of my dogs have identification... they really should, but it's honestly not a big worry here. Like I said, everyone around here knows who they belong to, and I'll be getting identification for them once I move away. I'd be more worried about them being run over on the roads than lost and not being returned.

When I was young we had a lab named Blue who had tags that had our address, phone number and his name on it. One day we got a phone call from someone down the road who was asked if our dog was missing. The answer was no, as he was at home, and they replied "oh, well is his collar then?" They found the collar and called our number on his tag. :p

#21 ·
My dogs have been microchipped since the early/mid-90s when the chips first started coming out. My vet does it when they are out for spay/neuter, dentals, etc. My first dog was chipped without anesthesia and was only distracted by a really good liver treat. That chip was still in place and readable 12 years later.

When out and about collar has microchip tag, rabies tag and city dog license tag (required by city). I really like the embroidered collars and Elle will be getting one shortly now that she has mostly stopped growing.

#22 · (Edited)
"MOTHER"

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
That was Ruby's first tattoo; she's totally addicted now and wants to get fairy on her ankle. :p

They found the collar and called our number on his tag.
What nice people!! I wish more were like that. It makes me so sad to see dogs identifiable in many ways that aren't returned. They are members of the family, after all. It's really heartbreaking.

#23 ·
Lloyd and Allie both have tags that have their name, our last names, both of our cell phone numbers and the vets number (with VET written next to it). Lloyd is also microchipped. Allie is too but it has traveled down into her armpit so she will be getting microchipped again sometime in the next few months. They have the tags that slide onto the collar and are flat. No tats (on them). :)

#25 ·
What is written on your dog's tag?: Hawkeye's says my name and address and phone number on one side and on the other side it says "HAWKEYE" AKC# DNblahblahblah ASCA# E158851

If you have a tattoo on your dog, what does it say?: no tatoos

Microchip -- done it?: Nope

#26 ·
Max only had a Tag stating his name our number and a "If found please Call" as well as his rabies tag. But we didn't have to worry about Max being stolen or running away...

My ferrets don't leave the house without their harnesses on. Their harnesses have their name plus "If found Please Call" on the back with my number. I'm also going to get another tag stating on each that they require medication and to call once again. I don't have them chipped because I shudder at the thought of getting them done awake. They're so small :(

My cats all have collars on at all times as well. With rabies tags, city tags, ID tag (Also thinking about the Needs meds tag for them as well). They aren't Microchipped but I'm thinking about doing them all (I have 5).

My puppy will have Rabies tag, city tag, ID tag, and Microchip.

#27 ·
Tiberius will probably be chipped when he goes to the vet next. My grandparents had their dogs, Mato and Bark Vader, escape one afternoon from their yard. Mato was returned to them because the family who found him took him to the vet (they were going to keep him) and the vet checked for the chip. Bark Vader, an adorable lab mix, hadn't been chipped yet and another family decided to keep him.

#29 ·
Sad, but true. I have my dogs micro-chipped and it makes me feel a little better knowing that. I hope there is never a need to find out if they are helpful or not. My dogs do not wear collars at home so if they did somehow manage an escape they wouldn't have that. I do put collars on when we go somewhere. The tags are from Therapy Dogs Inc. , and they also have rabies tags which can be tracked through the vet. They have contact info on them. I leave the therapy tags on in hopes that if someone saw a stray Rottweiler they wouldn't just automatically shoot them or something. Guess they would have to get pretty close to see the tag but they do show up nice next to their black fur. It says " I AM A THERAPY DOG" in nice readable letters.

#30 ·
My dogs have their microchips, tags saying his name, my name, and my phone number, as well as my mom's phone number on another tag, that way if somebody calls, they will be sure to get somebody.
Im a little interested in the "I am microchipped" tattoo. That seems like a good idea. Kind of makes it hard for somebody to just keep a dog, if they ever take it to the vet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.