Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my teen daughters both asked for an ipod for Christmas. Im looking at them, and Im not sure I really see any draw there, for the money.....maybe bc I dont have one? But they both already have their own cell phones, though neither has internet on it. Im not paying for monthly internet on any more stuff.
But Ive been looking at some of the ereaders and tablets, and it looks like those have many of the same options, with a few added benefits, and would be small enough to travel around in a purse. Esp for my 14 yr old, we usually spend a couple of days a month at hospital appts that last about 6 hours, so that might be fun for her.
I like the idea of the ereaders..but wonder how much, on average, does a book cost to load? Is is comparable to the cost of a book in print? Ive heard something about checking books out of our library with an ereader but Im really not even sure how that works.
So....Id like some opinions. Im looking online, and of course, going into a store and asking is probably only going to get me rec's for the most expensive ones....and Im looking at probably $150 or less.
Id like them to be able to listen to music, go online to fb and email, and use the ereaders.
Last night, my husband was looking at a Craig tablet for $88...online reviews were good but only if you know how to redo a bunch of stuff on it, which I dont. Also l ooked at the Cruz (sp?) and the Nooks. there are just so many choices.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Honestly ... Don't buy them a 'cheaper' version of what they want. My mom always did that and I was always disappointed and never truly happy with the gift I got. Either don't give it to them at all ... or give them the one they're asking for.

·
Super Moderator
11,513 Posts
Re: e-readers (like the Kindle)

Many library systems now allow you to download books in the Kindle (or other) formats for free. All you need is a library card.

If you have wireless Internet in the house, you don't pay extra to access it from devices like the iPod Touch or the iPad.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
E-readers are a good deal. Buying books from Amazon or B&N, not so much. I realize that the format conversions and bandwidth to deliver e-books are not free, but it seems excessive to pay full retail (paperback price) for an e-book.

There is, however, lots of free content for e-books. As Ron said, libraries offer downloads in e-reader format. Project Gutenberg has a very large collection of books in the public domain that it offers in e-reader format. I've gotten a few decent books from Amazon for $0.99 and $1.99. Authors are beginning to publish direct to Kindle (& ect.) at bargain prices. The economics of the thing is very attractive compared to the paltry royalties publishers pay authors. Word of mouth reviews travel like wildfire on the 'tubes, so the publishers' promotional apparatus is worth much less to an author these days.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
If you're getting an actual ereader, they won't be able to browse the internet or listen to music on most of the models. I do think though, ereaders are excellent gifts for older kids to encourage them to read. Since I got one, I'm always reading and same with my aunt's kids, 15 and 11.

Buying books can be expensive, 6-12 per book, averaging at about 10 each, but there are online libraries and books you can borrow for your reader.

If you're in the US, the kindle is great, and pretty durable. Also the book selection is great. In Canada, I like the Kobo the best for book selection. The kobo isn't made as durable at all though.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
If you're getting an actual ereader, they won't be able to browse the internet or listen to music on most of the models.
not if you buy a nook touch and root it

it turns into a very basic android tablet that you can side load the kindle app and have both readers in one

and you can also download a browser and word processing as well as other non graphic heavy apps

and they're like 80 bucks

i think that would be good for a young kid

·
Registered
583 Posts
I am SURE the iPod they want is the iTouch, right? They want it for Facetime - built in video chat.... also available on an iPad2 or an iPhone. Kids absolutely want an Apple product. They do NOT want anything by Craig.... and iTouches, iPads, and iPhones all can serve as an e-reader with the right apps. For $150 or less, ALL the Apple stuff is out of your price range.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Honestly ... Don't buy them a 'cheaper' version of what they want. My mom always did that and I was always disappointed and never truly happy with the gift I got. Either don't give it to them at all ... or give them the one they're asking for.
Haha, yes, this. I'm sure they want the iPod (and yeah, probably the iPod touch) for specific reasons... for iTunes, and the free unlimited messaging to anyone else with an iOS5 product (like, I'm sure, many of their friends), and the built-in video chat, and the ability to use the Internet on it. All of this is done over wifi (which you can access at most people's houses, many businesses, airports, etc.), so you wouldn't have to subscribe to anything. Honestly if you can afford it, I'd just get them each the ipod touch and inform them that they aren't getting anything else for xmas. :p

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I have the Nook Color and it has internet access but only through wifi (as opposed to 3G/4G). At B&N, the wifi is free, or at your home. It can download music and play it. The books, depending on what you want are an average of $10. Older books are much less. The thing I like is that you get them NOW. If I decide I want to read a book, I don't have to go to the store or wait for it to be delivered from Amazon, etc. The Nook will only read B&N books or simple pdf files.

It has a touch screen and keyboard. There is a new Nook Color out that is $199 but the Nook Color is down in your price range. I can access anything on the web so long as I'm connected to WiFi.

I love it. When reading the book, I don't have to worry about a light source since the ereader is lit. I also have an IPod that will only access stuff through wifi (not 3G/4G). IPod Touch will allow them to do most of what they want and it will fit in the purse (except for reading a book; it would be too small for that). I must admit, I have not tried out a lot of the other things on my Nook, but the people at B&N should be very helpful to you and tell you about each one. The girl I talked to was very knowledgable about both of them.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts