Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
Just curious if anyone here enjoys tabletop rpgs and if so what kinds?

My current group fell apart after a few years and I find it's near impossible to find people willing to play slightly older systems, or if they are willing...well they're rules lawyers or hack and slashers.

So I'm just trying to find some more common ground here and maybe discuss different systems.

Personally I love playing;

D&D3.5 though I have dabbled in 2 a bit and have read up on AD&D but have yet to play that one as it scares me a little (save or die!, or as my friend Trevor puts it "Save or die and possibly die anyway even if you pass your save! mwahahaha!!!")

Vampire the masquerade I have books that span different editions but I do like the more modern 3rd ed and 20th anniversary a bit more than the earlier ones, I'm not liking the requiem though, it's just not for me, the system has it's good and bad like any other system, I just like masquerade more (I started playing with requiem so it is more of a preference for masquerade than a nostalgia) .

Pathfinder (yes I know newish but still awesome, it kept the D&D 3.5 feel but fixed quite a few holes and simplified a few things.

Iron kingdoms, not this newer one (I have old and new books for this) but the one that plays more like D&D, The witchfire trilogy was what hooked me into roleplaying in the first place, even though I'm very embarrassed with my first character (fluffy sorcerer in a steampunk world...doesn't work for new players usually and really didn't work for me).

I dabbled in a few other systems like palladium (sp?) but didn't really get into them because the groups near me that I know about aren't that newbie friendly.

So anyone else?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I play Pathfinder but our group has been having trouble getting together lately. We're hoping to start a new campaign soon, though! My fiance and I are really interested in playing Shadowrun so we're trying to start that up as well :).

What types of characters do you like to play?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
We started a game of D&D several weeks ago. I have wanted to play for literally years - since I was in junior high - but had no one to play with growing up in a small town, and all of my university friends were nerdy in a different way. But OMG it is awesome. There's six of us, four of us haven't played before, and the other two are the DM and his girlfriend. We're playing modified 3rd edition rules, and the DM... he will allow anything that is either clever or ridiculous but amusing.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tend to play more neutral or chaotic characters though I've been told that I can play evil and lawful pretty smart. My good characters tend to be on the good/stupid side.
I have a fondness for rogues and monks, especially of the goblin or gnome variety though other monstrous races are fun too. (for future reference a Harsaff Lawful/Evil monk is way OP and will demolish everything)

gingerkid, why do we have to live 4 hours away from each other? I wanna play with you now. My husband and I both DM, he's a lot better at it though. And we both tend to break games into insanity while not bending rules (loopholes and tonnes of planning are fun)

yeah our group sucks at getting together, we're on completely different work shifts. Ridiculous or amusing? sounds like us, I once had a halfling who tried to change the currency to human eyeballs and another person in the game done more damage with human jaw bones than with his great sword (an evil campaign can you tell?).

So what about you guys? any preferences in characters?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
gingerkid, why do we have to live 4 hours away from each other? I wanna play with you now. My husband and I both DM, he's a lot better at it though. And we both tend to break games into insanity while not bending rules (loopholes and tonnes of planning are fun)
I was thinking this exact thing. It constantly seems like if we lived in the same city, we would be awesome friends!

So what about you guys? any preferences in characters?
I'm still on my first character... but I've always been more drawn to classes with finesse, rogues and rangers mostly. (Most of my RP experience comes from Baulur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, RuneScape, and 1990s Yahoo! chat rooms). The rules we're playing now have combined classes/races so there are only have six base "classes" (Fighter, Cleric, Magic-User, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling).

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking this exact thing. It constantly seems like if we lived in the same city, we would be awesome friends!

I'm still on my first character... but I've always been more drawn to classes with finesse, rogues and rangers mostly. (Most of my RP experience comes from Baulur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, RuneScape, and 1990s Yahoo! chat rooms). The rules we're playing now have combined classes/races so there are only have six base "classes" (Fighter, Cleric, Magic-User, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling).
well maybe one of these days.
I do have in-laws living there and we do go down to shop a few times a year, so you never know right? plus we could play microlight. it's similar to D&D but quick and simple. Though I don't think our pups would hit it off, Manna's been pretty rude to other dogs lately (hyper in you face rude so I'm stepping up training and hoping it's just a phase) so my sister might end up dog sitting.

If you lived up here I'm pretty sure we'd try to convince you to move in or something. We're getting pretty bored up here and I think my Hubby would like you too.

One of these days you should try a DEX based fighter, they're pretty interesting, or a fighter mage (think epic touch spell abilities). They're pretty hard to build correctly and have a huge chance of faceplanting pretty bad, but once you get the equazion right then they can be awesome.

Also looking into the prestige class shadow dancer, it works well with rogue

I don't play any tabletop rps, but I do play on an online RP game... I've been playing since 2001. >.> I'm a geek. But I'm also addicted, haha.
which ones do you play? I haven't played much online in a few years but I might have something on this old computer similar

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I've heard of it, but never joined. I'm not really into the animal roleplay anymore (I kind of dabbled in it while in high school). Are there any non animal rpers on there? I might rethink joining if there are.
Oh god, I haven't done THAT type of rp since I was like... 13 lol there's just about every kind of rp. I'll PM you a page to my main characters to give you an idea on what I'm into, if you're curious! I'd love to have another friend on there!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I used to play AD&D 2.0 A LOT..... and by a lot, I mean 25 hours a week when I was in college. But that was 30ish years ago. Someone just asked me to play it again, and at 51 yrs old, I think I would feel like an idiot playing with adults. I would like to teach it to my kids, however, as they love the fantasy genre.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
My husband plays Pathfinder. He played D&D but something something rule changes something pathfinder rules more like something old rules... I played with him ONCE and he didn't know how to deal with my extensive improv training.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My husband plays Pathfinder. He played D&D but something something rule changes something pathfinder rules more like something old rules... I played with him ONCE and he didn't know how to deal with my extensive improv training.
yeah pathfinder is closer to an improved D&D 3.5 while I'm just not a fan of 4th ed D&D. I think I know what your husband is talking about.

Though nearly 90% of my group loves to improv, it makes things interesting.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
yeah pathfinder is closer to an improved D&D 3.5 while I'm just not a fan of 4th ed D&D. I think I know what your husband is talking about.

Though nearly 90% of my group loves to improv, it makes things interesting.
I think he just wasn't expecting it and it tripped up his DMing. I had created an entire backstory for my character and he was like "That didn't happen" and I argued like hell they did, how does he know the family history of my character? :p

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
For those looking for others to play with, have you thought of starting up a game at your local library & inviting the area teens?

Every Saturday afternoon my 15 year old goes up to the library to play Dungeons & Dragons. Its something that started over the summer as part of the summer reading program and the teens enjoyed it so much that they made it a regular thing. They are running 2 groups and usually have somewhere around 15-20 teenagers every week.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think he just wasn't expecting it and it tripped up his DMing. I had created an entire backstory for my character and he was like "That didn't happen" and I argued like hell they did, how does he know the family history of my character? :p
Different DM's different styles. I encourage people to write detailed backstories and won't start a game unless everyone has at least a basic story.
This annoys the players who are only in it too kill things but I find it encourages random fun.

For those looking for others to play with, have you thought of starting up a game at your local library & inviting the area teens?

Every Saturday afternoon my 15 year old goes up to the library to play Dungeons & Dragons. Its something that started over the summer as part of the summer reading program and the teens enjoyed it so much that they made it a regular thing. They are running 2 groups and usually have somewhere around 15-20 teenagers every week.
There were instances a few years back where parents got involved and legal action was threatened. I wasn't involved as it was before I moved up here but lets just say that hosting games at the local library when you are over the age of 20 doesn't go well.

Edit: I'm a 25+ year old player

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Okay, so... our group's last adventure left me seriously craving more (the DM capped the game at 3 hours and I was NOT ready!), so I started looking around online and I found this neat site called Roll 20. I thought about joining but the thought of joining a game with random strangers really bothered me because... I don't know.

But... what if we started a DF game? :whistle:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, so... our group's last adventure left me seriously craving more (the DM capped the game at 3 hours and I was NOT ready!), so I started looking around online and I found this neat site called Roll 20. I thought about joining but the thought of joining a game with random strangers really bothered me because... I don't know.

But... what if we started a DF game? :whistle:
the link wouldn't open on my computer but I'd be willing to run a pathfinder campaign for us. we'll need to figure out how to handle dice rolls and stuff fairly though.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Different DM's different styles. I encourage people to write detailed backstories and won't start a game unless everyone has at least a basic story.
This annoys the players who are only in it too kill things but I find it encourages random fun.

There were instances a few years back where parents got involved and legal action was threatened. I wasn't involved as it was before I moved up here but lets just say that hosting games at the local library when you are over the age of 20 doesn't go well.

Edit: I'm a 25+ year old player
haha i can imagine it might not go well. i work at a books/entertainment store in a college town, and there are also a couple of gaming stores in our town. i think that's a really good place to post things or meet people to do roletop playing. people post it on our billboard at the store.

i don't play DnD but i have sat in on a couple of games with my fiancee. i think a good or bad DM makes the whole experience. both the ones i sat in on were awful. we didn't go to many more after that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts