Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying I do not usually feed my dog any food from my table (with the exception of steak, which is very rare), she is fed raw. But I was thinking tonight, as I was scraping the left overs into the trash, do you think table scraps are worst for your dog than cheap kibble? Really, isn't the biggest reason why table food is bad for your dog is because of the salt, sugar, fat, ect. which is added to it? Don't they add those same things to kibble? I was just wondering, I do not plan to feed it to my dog, from the table or cheap kibble, so please don't throw any daggers at me :eek:

·
Banned
221 Posts
I feed my dogs leftover meats from our meals almost every night. I don't feed from the table but wait until we clean the table off and I feed from the kitchen sink. Leftovers are fine to feed. Even veggies in moderation.

Salt isn't bad in moderation(I wouldn't feed my dog a bunch of potato chips). Fat is good at almost any level. Fat isn't bad for dogs like it is for humans. Sugar is never good.

Table scraps are better for your dog than even the best kibble.

·
Super Moderator
11,681 Posts
Table scraps are better for your dog than even the best kibble.
I think that might really depend on what the humans are eating. Some dogs, even on kibble, are eating more balanced diets than their owners.

That's not so much an endorsement of kibble as a condemnation of the eating habits of most humans (frequently including myself.) I would not feed my dogs much of what I eat routinely. That may help explain why they can run all day and I cannot.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think there has been such a negative stigma about feeding dogs "people food" that people just frown on the idea all togather. My vet about had a heart attack when I told her that I feed Bella raw meat, and several people that I know are very good to their pets feed an expensive, not so good, kibble to their dogs thinking they are doing something good for them.

I try to feed my family a healthy, well balanced, meal everynight, steering away from excess salt and sugar and staying far away from high frutose corn syrup (regardless of what the commercial says, that junk is BAD for you) but, when I look at what is in most kibble it is much worst than what I feed my family.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I think there has been such a negative stigma about feeding dogs "people food" that people just frown on the idea all togather.
I believe that stigma does result from the idea that dogs are not people. But dogs don't have ingredient requirements, so, the argument is a silly one.

My vet about had a heart attack when I told her that I feed Bella raw meat, and several people that I know are very good to their pets feed an expensive, not so good, kibble to their dogs thinking they are doing something good for them.
Many vets are stuck on the convenience of kibble, and they, just like many forum members, are narrow minded on feeding options - both rawists and kibblists.

I try to feed my family a healthy, well balanced, meal everynight, steering away from excess salt and sugar and staying far away from high frutose corn syrup (regardless of what the commercial says, that junk is BAD for you) but, when I look at what is in most kibble it is much worst than what I feed my family.
And there are many kibble feeders who feel the same, yet, their dog does great on kibble, so go figure.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My argument with what people feed their dogs is this, do your homework!! Don't just rely on what the media says or how healthy the bag of dog food looks, find out for yourself! I feed raw as a personal preference for my dog; I do not consider myself pro raw or pro kibble. I feed raw based on research and what I feel is the best interest for my dog.

However, I am not above feeding some leftover meat to my dog, especially now that I have thought about it!! Why throw out perfectly good meat when my little princess Bella could eat it!!!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I give my dogs all my table scraps. That's what dogs are for, and I'm not throwing away semi-good food (if it was really good, I'd eat it ;) ) if the dogs can have it. I don't eat junk (or, if I do, I eat ALL of it, LOL). I also don't have a lot of scraps......but when I do, the dogs get them. They had homemade, meatless chili last night :D .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts