Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
749 Posts
I hope you got permission from the other dog's owner before you did any of that.

Of course I did. Just as the people there ask me if they can give my dog a treat. The dog's were regulars at the park and they know to ask before giving a treat to Lola just as I know to ask before giving there dog's a treat. The one dog which is a Puggle the owner commented about how well I had their dog in solid sit position without breaking the sit early. He said he never could do that.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I do, and often give them bites while I'm eating. I grab an extra fork (or spoon), and share my meal with them. Since I live alone and don't like to store leftovers (that could sit in the 'fridge for ages and become mystery food!), I'd rather see it eaten than sit in a container and then get dumped at some point. AND, I prepare meals with the dogs in mind, to supplement their EVO dog food (e.g., pot roast w/new red potatoes & baby carrots, roast chicken, steak, baked potatoes w/sour cream, sweet potatoes w/a little brown sugar, cinnamon, & a tad of butter, pasta w/red sauce and meatballs, baked or raw apples, cottage cheese, omlettes w/cheese and spinach, various steamed vegetables, yogurt (plain, live culture), fruits like watermelon, blueberries, pears, etc., sardines, wild Alaskan Salmon, and so on). I probably eat healthier because of the dogs! LOL However, we DO occasionally have PIZZA and ice cream!

Sharing my food with the dogs has never created a fussy eater, nor one who begs, and certainly hasn't created a nutritional deficit, or otherwise messed up their diet!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I think its better not to do this.

Reason #1: If you are giving him a quality dog food, it is already nutritionally balanced for a dog. Adding leftovers just throws things off.
No dog food is a completely balanced - adding healthy leftovers like some REAL meat is only going to be a benefit, not knock off their nutritional balance.

Reason #2: One advantage of just using dog food is that you can give him a measured amount at each meal and totally control how much he eats, and adjust it accordingly to his needs. It gets more complicated if you are topping it of with other stuff.
I didn't realize how complex scooping dog food into a bowl was...:rolleyes: Common sense will tell you to just cut back a little on the kibble if you feed a good amount of extras.

Reason #3: If he never eats anything but his dog food that is pretty much all he knows; give him other stuff and he might get fussy.
Only if you allow your dog to get fussy...my dogs eat what's in front of them or nothing at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our Golden lays down a few feet from the table while we are eating. He will not beg, but is generally given a table scrap or two when we are done.

The Bichon will sit at the table in an empty chair if I let him. He does not beg, drool, whine or stare. He does not do anything other than sit patiently or lay down on the chair. He will also get a bit or two at the end of the meal. If I don't let him on the chair, he lays at my feet. Not sits, but lays down and snoozes.

They both get Sunday breakfast cooked up for them and they know to stay several feet away while food is being prepared. Hubby often prepares an extra chicken breast or whatever for the dogs when cooking our meal during the week as well.

All that being said, we are selective as to what scraps we give them. No junk food, etc.

·
Banned
363 Posts
No dog food is a completely balanced - adding healthy leftovers like some REAL meat is only going to be a benefit, not knock off their nutritional balance.

I didn't realize how complex scooping dog food into a bowl was...:rolleyes: Common sense will tell you to just cut back a little on the kibble if you feed a good amount of extras.

Only if you allow your dog to get fussy...my dogs eat what's in front of them or nothing at all.
I don't generally disagree with any of that IF done with a lot of discipline. I think for most people it means pretty much scraping off whatever is left on their plates into a dogs bowl and in 80% of the cases the dog health wise is better of just with dog food. But yeah, if you know what you are doing and you are disciplined about it then its fine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I cant stand beggin so I dont give him any thing but my 2 and 3 year old love to feed him their stuff so he will sit and beg at their feet at the table lol but he knows better than to beg from me or the hubby. I try to tell the kids not to feed the dog but they always sneak a peice to him haha

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I wish I had had a dog when the kids were small. Wouldn't have had to clean the floor. Too bad. The dogs get some scraps and they do beg. If we are annoyed they go lay down and wait until we finish. We love the 'wash it'. Fastest trick to 'train' ever. I don't like feeding most scraps because of salt and dairy but really we don't have much. Favorite scraps are potato skin and bread crusts.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts