Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to know if you give them to the dog. Instead of wasting the food that the kids dont eat, i would like to give it to the dog. But I dont know if this is a bad or good idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I think it depends on what type of food it is...I give table scraps to my dogs all the time, mostly left over meat or veggies.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I use healthy leftovers (baked chicken, bits of veggies, etc.) as treats.

The important thing is to make sure they leftovers have nutritional value, are not harmful to you pet, and that the calories are accounted for when measuring their normal daily food intake so that you don't run into obesity problems.

·
Registered
223 Posts
we give the pooch scraps but we usually save them for the next day, this curbs any begging he might try while we're eating *smiles*.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Mr Mystery Mix would NEVER beg...would he? :eek: JK!

If I have anything left over sometimes I will give it to them the next day, depending on what it is. As Amber said not the same day...nothing worse than a dog that begs!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mr Mystery Mix would NEVER beg...would he? :eek: JK!

If I have anything left over sometimes I will give it to them the next day, depending on what it is. As Amber said not the same day...nothing worse than a dog that begs!
He'll do anything for food *winks*, it's funny to watch him drool when he sees a scrap come out of the fridge and into his bowl *LOL.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The only thing I'll give Sadie is left over veggies or cottage cheese or regular cheese. I usually mix it with her kibble. And it's just a bit to put a smile on her face!!

·
Banned
363 Posts
I think its better not to do this.

Reason #1: If you are giving him a quality dog food, it is already nutritionally balanced for a dog. Adding leftovers just throws things off.

Reason #2: One advantage of just using dog food is that you can give him a measured amount at each meal and totally control how much he eats, and adjust it accordingly to his needs. It gets more complicated if you are topping it of with other stuff.

Reason #3: If he never eats anything but his dog food that is pretty much all he knows; give him other stuff and he might get fussy.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
peppy, you have made some good points. However, I think table scraps have saved many a dog while eating crap like Gaines burgers and dog food of yesterday.

If you give your dog table scraps, make sure they don't come directly from your plate on the table. Put them away and then when it's time for his meal, you can add them to his bowl. But then decrease the amount of dog food you are feeding him so as to not make him gain excess weight - unless all you're giving him is veggies. As another poster said, make sure the food you're feeding isn't toxic (i.e. onions, grapes, raisins, mushrooms etc.) Green beans are great for dogs. Apples, blueberries, raspberries are great too.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Yeah, I do. I keep it in the fridge and put it in their meals the next day. As always, everything in moderation. The majority of their meal should still be kibble; as peppy said, you don't want to throw off the nutritional balance in their diet. And of course nothing on the "toxic foods" list.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I feed my dogs stuff right off my plate while I'm eating. If the begging bothers me (which it sometimes does), I just tell them "that's all" (which means they aren't getting any more) and they go away immediately. They're very polite.

I don't give them enough to make a difference in their overall nutrition, just a bite or two here and there. The only time I cut down their food is when they get RMBs or a lot of training treats in the form of NB Food Roll.

Jaia loves watermelon.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Lola does not eat from my plate. Lola does not get fed from my plate. Lola does not beg at all. Lola is made to stay about 5 feet minimum when I am eating and she listens very well.

Occasionally and not more than once a week I will scramble an egg and cook it for Lola. She gets that as a treat in addition to her food. A few nights ago I had cooked chicken breast I cut it in half before cooking and pounded it in plastic wrap making it very thin so it was easier to cook. saved one piece only because I was full and took the left over piece broken it up into tiny pieces for dog treats.

Then we went to the dog park and had some fun. I had a few dogs following me but they all got a small piece. One in particular hung around with Lola and I and I was telling the dog to sit and lay down. when she did I would give her a piece. Lola would do the same and then I would give her a piece.

After a few sit and lay downs I put a piece of chicken about 4 inches from the other dogs nose as she was laying down and taught her the leave it commend. I put a piece of chicken on the ground for Lola as well and Lola already knows the leave it command so I did not have to say leave it with her even though the other dog was 2 feet away Lola left it until I pointed to it for her to take it.

I still have half of what I brought to the dog park left over for later today if we go there.

So no I do not feed Lola any table scraps.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I can't stand a dog that begs. Mine don't come near the table. I do give them the crust of my sandwich/toast sometimes but not all the time. They will also wait patiently (sorta) till I'm done with the popcorn because I usually give them some.

I can't stand it when someone brings food into the dog park (it's a no no) because Butch WILL find them and that is when he embarrasses the heck out of me! He acts like he is never fed!

·
Banned
749 Posts
I
I can't stand it when someone brings food into the dog park (it's a no no) because Butch WILL find them and that is when he embarrasses the heck out of me! He acts like he is never fed!

Lola can seek out anyone at the dog park that has treats in their pocket. What she will do is sit next to the person and just keep looking up at them if the person moves away she will follow them and sit again when they stopped moving. They will then figure out what she is doing and ask me if they can give her a treat. After they give her a treat with my permission she will then walk away and will not bother them anymore. Sometimes people have told her that they do not have treats in their pocket but she knows better and after a bit of time they will say they have and tried to lie to her. I tell them she knows better than to believe the lie. If I do not allow her to have one I will call her over to me and tell her to leave that person alone.

She is good in the fact that if the person is giving a treat to their dog she will patiently wait for her turn.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I used to feed George table scraps that I'd scrape into his dog bowl, but when step son lived with us, he'd feed him from his plate straight from the table & George did become a nuisance beggar.
So I've just never fed DJ or Coco table scraps. They're raw fed & I do weigh their food real well & just don't see any reason to give them my scraps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Firstly my dogs have never had a problem begging.. until now.. now that we feed raw they certainly show A LOT more interest in our food. however a simple " quit beggin" and they lie down again..

We used to give them scraps.. say a scrap of the meat we were eating that we didn't finish or the veggies.. but since begginging raw.. they get raw.. thats it, and i don't eat raw meat lol.. so no more scraps.. lol my 2 cents

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Then we went to the dog park and had some fun. I had a few dogs following me but they all got a small piece. One in particular hung around with Lola and I and I was telling the dog to sit and lay down. when she did I would give her a piece. Lola would do the same and then I would give her a piece.

After a few sit and lay downs I put a piece of chicken about 4 inches from the other dogs nose as she was laying down and taught her the leave it commend. I put a piece of chicken on the ground for Lola as well and Lola already knows the leave it command so I did not have to say leave it with her even though the other dog was 2 feet away Lola left it until I pointed to it for her to take it.
I hope you got permission from the other dog's owner before you did any of that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts