Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:rolleyes: Ok, so I get this sympathy card from my vet's office. Some say I am making a big deal out of it, but I don't think so. The card looks like it was written as a generic responce. This bothers me. It does not have my name on it nor my dogs name, it looks to have been written by the office manager, not even singed by the vet, and I was close to everyone there and I would have thought that his staff and he would have signed it. No, I am not mad, just disapointed. If it were you would you say something to him? I was thinking, since they all know me about taking the card up there and just say something like, you know this card would mean a lot more if you all signed it.
This would let them know that this is important to others.
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
We've gotten sympathy cards for vets before. The first one came from the e-vet when we lost Emerald. It was a pretty card. It was signed by some of, not all, the staff. It also had a poem insert. It was just beautiful, and was certainly a nice gesture.
The next two came from out regular vet. They were the same card. Both were signed by some of the staff, both were signed by different staff members. The card we got from Smokey came to us as a surprise. She passed away in our home and I had to briefly tell them she passed away while I was returning syringes. I only told the tech that took the syringes from me. But a few days later we received a card from them in the mail. While it was still the same card we got when we lost our dog Lady, it still meant a lot to us. It showed us that they really do pay attention and care (I thought maybe they had removed her file, but I found out at the dogs last check ups, that it hadn't).
I'm sure they have to send out a lot of cards everyday. Just because it seemed like it was a generic message not even signed by the vet, doesn't mean that it should be taken for granted. If getting their signatures would make you feel better, take it up there and ask politely for some of them to sign. Make a nice collage with it and various pictures of the dog.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I think it's nice they sent a card at all. That and it's really hard to find something to say to someone who has lost a family pet, especially one that you don't know beyond a few visits a year.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think that would be in terribly bad taste.

I would appreciate the gesture.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They had seen the dog almost weekly for treatment for the past 8 months, so I just felt they could have done a little more. I did a lot more for them, not just taking my dog there and brought/made treats for them. The person who I think sent the card out ( I have heard others say how rude this person comes across- family, so won't be let go), I don't think they really cared other than the money is not going to come in from this pet. I don't think this person realizes how had they just asked others to sign it, would mean so much more and help their business even better. I might say something, but only if I feel I can.

I think it's nice they sent a card at all. That and it's really hard to find something to say to someone who has lost a family pet, especially one that you don't know beyond a few visits a year.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Don't make a big deal about it. If you want signatures take the card in to the office and ask those that were closest to you and the dog to sign it. Then, as already mentioned make a collage with the signed card in the center and various photographs of the dog around the card.

If you decide to do that, it would be a nice gesture to have a nice color copy made someplace such as Kinko's and give that to the vet's office.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
What Pamapered Pups said.

I never got a card from the Doctor's Office when human members of my family passed away.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
When we had our lab euthanized, the vet that had been caring for him for ten years sent a very nice hand-written card with personal notes from the whole staff. I also believe they gave me a huge price break on the cremation, but they never mentioned it.

Since I wasn't expecting it, it was a nice surprise but, had they done less, it would not have diminished the compassionate care they provided for ten years and I certainly would not have confronted them about it.

As it was, I talked to the clinic owner and told him how much I appreciated everything they had done, from the first visit to the last. The card was just a nice bonus.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with Elana55. I have never heard of a human doctor sending a condolence card when a family member has passed therefore I was very surprised when our vet sent cards, first on Lass (passed last year) and then on Jazz (2 1/2 months ago) The cards were very nice, signed on one side by the vet, techs and asst's who directly aided us that day (and cried with us) and then the rest of the staff sigs were on the other side. We found it to be very touching and we appreciated their efforts.

Legacy

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
First, I am sorry for your loss. You are feeling very emotional right now, obviously. Sometimes when we are dealing with loss and grief it is human nature to lash out at others, just to let off some of the unresolved feelings of anger about loosing a loved one.

I understand how you are feeling. But I would really not focus on the card. It isn't what you are really upset about. Focus on your pet and the good times you had with him/her.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
First, I am sorry for your loss. You are feeling very emotional right now, obviously. Sometimes when we are dealing with loss and grief it is human nature to lash out at others, just to let off some of the unresolved feelings of anger about loosing a loved one.

I understand how you are feeling. But I would really not focus on the card. It isn't what you are really upset about. Focus on your pet and the good times you had with him/her.
I agree 100%.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I agree with Elana. I love my vet and the techs in the office but they are not obligated to me socially in any way. Sympathy cards fulfill a social obligation. I have a professional/client relationship with my vet. Confusing the two in any business transaction only gets in the way of good service. Not so say I think the practice is wrong - I think it's a nice touch and, to be crass again, good marketing that I would certainly appreciate. But I have no expectations about receiving cards or any other personal gestures from the professionals with whom I do business. It's icing, not cake. Focus on the quality of the care. If that is satisfactory, I'm happy.

P.S. to the OP: I don't mean to diminish your loss in any way. I'm sorry this has happened. I know this meant a lot to you. Just saying a gesture like that doesn't mean as much to me - that's just how I'm wired.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand what you all are saying. The office manager (wife) and I really did not talk much as the rest of the staff and I am sure did not know how close we all had come, so that is why it bothered me. Much of the vets busniess is through word of mouth, and I realize that she does not understand marketing as well as I do. And most office I would not confuse a business relationship with a personal one, but these people and I did become friends, some office's I understand that this is not possible.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
when I had to put My beautiful old girl to sleep I received a hand written note from my vet the next day in the mail. He is a very compassionate man and I know him through rescue. Had he not sent a card, I would not have thought less of him. The fact that he did was a bonus.
I wouldn't say anything to your vet about it if it were me. I would just be happy with all the good care my dog received from them, when alive.

I am very sorry for your loss too. It is never easy and I can understand your disappointment. Nothing they could have said would relieve your pain.

·
Registered
226 Posts
6 years ago I had a beautiful orange tabby cat who very unexpectedly died from a dog attack (will never have another indoor/outdoor cat again after that happened). I THINK someone may have mentioned it to the vet in passing, I can't really remember, but I was so comforted when I received a card from their office. It was a generic card, but there was a handwritten note from the vet that really touched me.

Generic or not, they were thinking about you and your lost family member. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It just seemed like the message was generic,like someone had sat down and writtien tons of the same message over and over again without reguard of the situation. To me it is like getting a Happy birthday card from the local store, no real meaning even if the thought was there..make since? I am not mad, just I figured they would make it more personal. I guess this message goes out to anyone who works in the field...it does make a difference.

6 years ago I had a beautiful orange tabby cat who very unexpectedly died from a dog attack (will never have another indoor/outdoor cat again after that happened). I THINK someone may have mentioned it to the vet in passing, I can't really remember, but I was so comforted when I received a card from their office. It was a generic card, but there was a handwritten note from the vet that really touched me.

Generic or not, they were thinking about you and your lost family member. :)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
They had seen the dog almost weekly for treatment for the past 8 months, so I just felt they could have done a little more. I did a lot more for them, not just taking my dog there and brought/made treats for them. The person who I think sent the card out ( I have heard others say how rude this person comes across- family, so won't be let go), I don't think they really cared other than the money is not going to come in from this pet. I don't think this person realizes how had they just asked others to sign it, would mean so much more and help their business even better. I might say something, but only if I feel I can.
I think they did what they were supposed to. Provide medical care for the dog. I know you're emotional over your loss, but I certainly doubt the first thing they thought was "Oh well, they're not paying us anymore!" and shuttled off the first card they sound. Complaining about it will only look petty.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts