Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 3 year old ESS named Sylvie. If you're a spaniel fan and like to know the ins and outs, she is actually half bench and half field. I think she ended up with best of both worlds. Sylvie has the more athletic body type and short fur like a field variety, but definitely is more calm and cuddly like a bench. Sylvie doesn't know yet, but she's also going to be getting a new friend next week! We're getting a klee kai/pomeranian mix and I really hope she likes him. She always seems to much prefer smaller dogs at the park and likes playing with our cat (or rather, the cat likes to chew on her and she politely puts up with it), so I think everything should go well.

Speaking of the dog park, I do have one mild concern with Sylvie. She is a bit of a wallflower. She will happily approach and greet every single dog at the park and commence a butt sniffing train, but she won't play with them. If there is a rowdy group running and wrestling, she will trail behind and watch, but won't fully join in. She would rather spend her time either sniffing things, being near me, or trying to convince everyone to pet her. It does at least make her a favorite among other dog owners because she will seek out being pet and cuddled by them and she is very sweet about it. I've heard that dogs do somewhat reflect their owner's personality, and I'm definitely not a super outgoing person. Would you say this is just her personality, or is it a socialization issue? She has never been aggressive towards another dog and is very patient with dogs trying to push her buttons. She won't submit to them, but she also doesn't immediately default to biting/growling/whatever else. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is difficult to say for sure, but I do know is that while dogs do take after their human's personalities, but they also have quirks that quirks that are all their own. For my dog, Winnie She a takes on my mother's silliness, my brother's roughness, and my analysis. Her desire to seek out attention wherever she goes, jealousy, and tomboy-ish personality are all hers though.

There are also many events that have shaped her personality, such as:
-my brother locking her in his room while he slept (resulting in her learning to unlock and open doors)
-several dogs attempting to mount her while she was only 1 year old (resulted in her being distrustful of male dogs)
-getting attacked multiple times by a black lab (she gets defensive around most dogs now, and when she see's said lab, she freaks out)
-my mother brought home a stray kitten that approached Winnie (looked hungry and desperate), she's hated all cats since then

The reason why your dog doesn't want to play with the other dogs, I can not say for sure, especially without knowing your dog. I can tell you this, however, pay close attention to Sylvie's eyes, body posture, tail position, and tail movements they all provide clues to as what dogs are thinking. While humans focus on vocal communication first and foremost, dogs focus on body language and Olfactory as their means of communication.

Judging by "If there is a rowdy group running and wrestling, she will trail behind and watch, but won't fully join in." It seems like she is curious, but cautious

1 - 2 of 2 Posts