Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
My Jack Russel has a swollen / puffy area between two "toes" on her right paw. It's very red and inflamed, and she keeps licking it. We've tried giving her cortazone, 1 a day because it makes her all weird. Is this perhaps not enough? We've also tried Ricky Litchfield's Topical Gel. When she plays it starts bleeding. Should we just take her to the vet? Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Prawnapple- One of my dogs, Sunny, had similar "between toe" inflammation happen rather badly on her paws last year out of the blue, and in her case it was caused by food. Our regular brand of kibble that she had eaten for years stopped being produced, and unhappily I was having to try the limited selection of other locally available brands, all of which are junkier (nasty artificial coloring, etc.) After a couple months, when the old kibble company came out with their new replacement product line and we could switch to that, her scary toe inflammation promptly went away and never returned. In this case, something had changed, and I was best positioned to figure out what it was. In this case, I did not go the vet, who surely would have plied me with creams and meds- not what was needed, and not addressing the root of the problem.

P.S. Please be careful. Cortisone is hazardous stuff. While it can reduce some kinds of swelling, it is a hormone with serious effects, and it decreases the dog's (or person's) immunity. Decreasing immunity opens up the door to multiple illnesses. Best not ask for trouble.
View attachment 261838
Sunny
Thanks for the response! Appreciate it and that's a very cute dog! :)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Go to the vet. Toes are common place for dogs to develop cancerous tumors, and the earlier they're caught the better the dog's chance of survival.

·
Super Moderator
11,488 Posts
Let me try and put this nicely. Requesting or offering treatment options for a condition not diagnosed by a vet is a violation of forum rules. This is first the protection of the dog and, because of liability concerns, for the protection of the forum.

We used to ban members for this and will do so again if it becomes necessary, but we'd prefer a kinder and gentler approach.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.