Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 month old mini doxie who will be switched over to breed-specific formula this month for back and joint support.

However, I don't know what the best brand is.

He's been on Eukanuba Puppy food since day 1 with no problems.

Do I continue with Eukanuba Dachshund formula? Royal Canine?

What suggestions do you have?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
IMO, "breed-specific" dog food formulas are a marketing gimmick. What are the "special" ingredients in the "Dachsund" foods? What are the top 5 ingredients of those foods you're considering?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The previous post is correct, there are no breed specific foods... if your looking for the best on the market, for what ever reason...google .. The Dog Food Project... there you will find all the information you need re: diet, myths, food anayaliss etc.... you didnt specify what problems you were having re joints hips etc, rule of thumb.. if difficent go with a higher calcium food, if its a concern of over developement bones joints etc, pick a food with less calcium and ash.. hope this helps... your best bet, is a grain free, high protien 5 star kibble..

·
Registered
296 Posts
dashchunds need glucosamine AND chondroitin specifically because chondo helps cushion the spinal column which is so vital to doxie health.
Breed specific is a bunch of BS imho.
You may find that a large breed formula that has the higher levels of G and C will work best for you.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
The level of glucosamine and chondroitin in any dry food will not be high enough to make any difference. If you think your dog should have a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, it's better to give a separate supplement instead of having it in the food.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I agree with all the above posters. Glucosamine and chondroitin in kibble is way too processed to have any real difference. The amount that is in there is negligible, and is only there for marketing purposes. Breed-specific food is rubbish as well. Feed a high-quality food (NOT Eukanuba), with a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement if you wish, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok thanks! Thanks godness I posted and got your input!

What food is best, based on your experience, and the breed at question (mini doxie)

He's currently on Royal Canin Puppy 33

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok thanks! Thanks godness I posted and got your input!

What food is best, based on your experience, and the breed at question (mini doxie)

He's currently on Royal Canin Puppy 33
As a doxie isnt going to eat much, without question go with the Orijen puppy formula, it has 40% protien, 20% fat, which should be perfect for a small breed dog. I would feed puppy formula till 15 months...up to 18 months, then switch to adult formula. Orijen is, in my opinion the best kibble on the market, and... the most expensive.. at adult hood, rotate in Wellness Core, and Core ocean formula.. again these are my preferences, based on use of multipule grain free products. There are many others on the market... you cant go wrong with these two...if your looking for other choices, as previously stated, visit the site: The Dog Food Project... there you will find a list of all grain free dog food suppliers.. my suggestion, read every word on that site... personal note.. I was not that happy with the EVO red bites product.. kibble was irregular, and broken up in many cases, leading me to believe the manufacturing process was inferior.. in contrast, the Oriejen, and Wellness Core formula's are perfect... and to a point it goes to what your pooch will take too... mine is a champion lab... so my prefered look is more muscular, and high protien diets have this effect.. keep in mind high protien diets also mean, high energy..so you'll have your hands full....lolol..also if you find your doxie..to lean...add more fat to the diet...yourself...its easy enough.. another advantage to feeding grain free products, you can spoil your canine friend with treats of any kind..as calloric intake isnt an issue.. just be sensible... for training, .. i use chez its.... theres tons of them in a box, they love them, and the fact there a grain product.. who cares.. Dry foods should be served soaked in water, youll find after an hour of soaking the kibble will absorb the water, increase in size by 50%.. I would follow that guide line for feeding., canines arent aware how much water they should intake..soaking the kibble helps in adding to that intake. You'll find the ocean formula products, either 6 fish orijen or ocean formula core, will have a great affect on coat, and skin.. so rotate them in your pups diet, and get the supplements you feel your breed needs.. and you can also get the fish omega's as a supplement during regular formula feeding periods....again...if your feeding a grain free product.....your in the top 5% of dog owners, so give yourself a pat on the back for giving your canine companion the best.. hope this helps...PS: chocolate, in any form is toxic to canines..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EVO does look good...but what is the benefit of feeding canned food over kibble/traditional food?

What about natural beef, steak, turkey, and chicken as meals? Not enough nutrients for my doxie?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im not sure where your coming from anymore... did you go to the site... dog food project.. and read the advice there?.. in regards to diet.. grain free is best.. dry or wet..as for feeding "natural" im unsure whether your talking a dog food formula or human grade food.... dog food..is comprised of the correct balance of ingrediants for a healthy canine diet.. you can obviously feed human grade foods to your pup, yet not 100% of diet.. the highest % dog food on the market is 42% protien... in reply to your glutten comment........ have you ever eaten a 48 oz steak..... it hits your stomach like a brick... youll find your gluttonous doxie will feel the same on 42% no grain products.. as for the EVO, yes..at 49$ for 30lbs, compared to the 65-70 for the others ..yes.... Simple..Choose any Grain free product, and add the supplements for your breeds genetic dispostion... after that, its up to your pup, whether they take to the food....

·
Registered
966 Posts
EVO does look good...but what is the benefit of feeding canned food over kibble/traditional food?

What about natural beef, steak, turkey, and chicken as meals? Not enough nutrients for my doxie?
I'm not sure I understand the question. EVO, Wellness Core, Orijen, etc. do have dry kibble in addition to canned. Personally, I feed mostly dry, plus canned every three days or so just for variety.

You can also feed human-grade meats. If you're interested in doing so, you should check out all the threads on feeding raw. It's complicated so you should make sure you know how to do it before you start. You can't just feed ground beef, for instance; you need to feed a variety of species, and you need to include organ meats and raw bones. So far I haven't tried to switch to raw because I'm afraid I wouldn't get the right balance of nutrients and my dog would get a vitamin deficiency. Plus I'm a vegetarian and handling meat just really grosses me out.

Feeding raw is probably the ideal diet, if you do it right. But I think these grain-free, high quality foods that have been recommended to you here are a very good alternative. They are much, much better than grocery store foods.

Since you're worried about back and joint health, I recommend you use Missing Link Plus with Glucosamine as a supplement. It comes in a powder that you can mix into food. You don't need to use wet food to mix it into -- if you add water to bulk up the dry food, the Missing Link gets absorbed too.

You should check out the website that championlab recommended, as well as http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com. They have reviews of all different foods, with explanations about why things are good or bad. So you can educate yourself about why the foods we're recommending are so much better than the grocery brands.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts