Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process (3 feedings in) of switching our almost 4 month old Aussie from Blue Buffalo to Earthborn Holistic food. She was fine with the BB but we would really like to support our locally owned pet supply store and they don't carry the BB. We have been doing a 1/3:2/3 ratio new to old since switching and today she has had terrible diarrhea... I think she's gone 5 or 6 times in the hour and 1/2 she's been up this morning. So, my question is this: do we continue and see if this works itself out? If so, for how long until we go back? She seems to be fine otherwise. She rested more than usual yesterday but she also had a busy day the day before so...

Thanks for your help! We are such novice puppy owners and you have all been such a great resource!

P.S. Something else that might... MIGHT... be of significance. My mother-in-law had her the day before yesterday and she indulged in a beef bone. She's never had one to my knowledge but I wouldn't think that little bit would cause the diarrhea... but what do I know? :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
When Butters was a puppy she would have diarrhea on Blue Buffalo, but never on Acana. I think some ingredients just may not agree with them, particularly if there are any grains in there.

You can try to stick it out, but if I were you I would just go with what my dog is telling me and try something more agreeable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dogs can have very sensitive stomachs when it comes to changing their food- especially if they have been on one brand for a long time. You can try to help settle her stomach by cooking her some plain white rice and adding a little to her food. Try adding a little less of the new food at a time. It could take over a week for the dog to get used to the new food.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah! How could I forget! When we got her we switched her to the BB and added plain yogurt to it for a while! I will do that again... she seemed to tolerate that well! I'll give it another day or two huh? Don't want to torture the poor little thing!

·
Registered
943 Posts
adding plain pumpkin to the food during transition may help too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts