Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My breeder is currently feeding my pup a diet of Life's Abundance grain free puppy food. If I could keep him on that I would...but it is VERY expensive! A 30 lb bag is $90...I have to feed him the best I can afford. I was considering Purina, but then found out that American Journey is pretty affordable and is a MUCH better food. The kind I have picked out has grains though, which I don't think will be much of an issue health wise...but I don't want to shock his little system switching to his first grains ever too fast. Does the change over need to be slower, or will a typical food transition/mixer work?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
American Journey is a decent enough food, IMO. I fed the Salmon & Brown Rice formula for a couple of years before switching back to Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon & Rice formula. In the past, I've changed formulas and brands quite frequently, and the only food I had any issue with was one of the "super premium" expensive ones. I've never bothered with the gradual switch, but some dogs seem to do better with it.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Unless your dog has an actual grain allergy or has an exceptionally sensitive stomach, it's unlikely to cause a huge problem. Usually, the breeder will give you a little bit of their current food so you can switch more slowly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts