Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone has experience with this, but if so I'd really appreciate any advice!

We've been happy with our dog's insurance provider, but I've learned that they switched underwriters and no longer offer our plan-- their plan is now more expensive and provides less coverage.

We're thinking of switching to a different plan. However, our dog had a spinal injury and substantial surgery a couple of years ago-- she's fully recovered, but I'm concerned that in the future as she gets older, any spinal problems could be considered a "pre-existing condition" which of course would not be covered under a new plan.

However...if it was determined to be a "pre-existing condition," would it still be covered by the original plan she was under at the time of the condition, even if we are no longer subscribers to that company? Or do we basically have to stick with that company forever now if we want to make sure any other problems stemming from that injury are taken care of?

It seems like if our dog remains consistently covered by insurance (from the day we got her!), someone should be on the hook for any complications that may arise from an old injury...and I'm pretty sure it would theoretically be the insurer at the time of the original claim...but if anyone has specific experience with this I would really appreciate hearing about it!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm no expert in pet insurance, but if it's anything like insurance for people... once you cancel your policy with one company, they are under no obligation to cover future medical expenses associated with a condition that they've previously covered. You cancel, you're on your own. And I do believe any new company would consider that a preexisting condition, so you'd be correct in assuming that a new policy would exempt anything associated with that from being covered.

I'm sure someone else can provide a more concrete answer, but this is just my best guess based on how insurance works generally speaking.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Not sure if anyone has experience with this, but if so I'd really appreciate any advice!

We've been happy with our dog's insurance provider, but I've learned that they switched underwriters and no longer offer our plan-- their plan is now more expensive and provides less coverage.

We're thinking of switching to a different plan. However, our dog had a spinal injury and substantial surgery a couple of years ago-- she's fully recovered, but I'm concerned that in the future as she gets older, any spinal problems could be considered a "pre-existing condition" which of course would not be covered under a new plan.
If you wanted to switch insurers, you should call and speak to a representative at several companies about this case. What they may do is offer to sign you up and apply a waiting period to any spinal issue that may arise. So perhaps your dog would need to go 12 months without having any problems? And then she would be covered after that period is over.

However...if it was determined to be a "pre-existing condition," would it still be covered by the original plan she was under at the time of the condition, even if we are no longer subscribers to that company? Or do we basically have to stick with that company forever now if we want to make sure any other problems stemming from that injury are taken care of?

It seems like if our dog remains consistently covered by insurance (from the day we got her!), someone should be on the hook for any complications that may arise from an old injury...and I'm pretty sure it would theoretically be the insurer at the time of the original claim...but if anyone has specific experience with this I would really appreciate hearing about it!
No. Once you are no longer a customer, an insurance company is not responsible to cover any of your dogs future bills.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts