Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had my dog for a week and I'm running into some trouble with her food. The lady that rescued her was feeding her Pedigree wet food, and the lady that fostered her right before we got her was trying to wean her from the wet to the dry so I have tried to continue that pattern. The first day was not so bad, she at all of her food and did not have any problems. Now, about five days later she will pick out the wet food and eat it and leave the dry food behind.

I'm wondering if I'm not doing it right, or if she is just one of those dogs that prefers the wet food as opposed to the dry kibble food.

I also read on another thread that some wet food can be just as healthy as the dry food for her, but I'm concerned about her overall health especially with the brand that she is currently on.

So my questions are these:

1. How do you properly wean a dog from one food to another? (I'm assuming you start out slowly with mainly the first food and slowly switch the amounts until the new food is all she has)

2. If she is a dog that prefers the wet food and I decide to keep her on that, what ones would you suggest that are not SUPER expensive. ( I want to give her a good food but I can't break the bank either)

3. What are some supplements that I can use to make sure she gets everything that she needs nutritionally that the wet food might not include? ( I'm leaning more to the fact that I know that kibble is good for her teeth, and I know that you have to be careful with chew toys and bones and such-- and I'm concerned with how much water there is in the wet food.)

Sorry this was long but I'm really worried that she is not eating enough. Any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
1. How do you properly wean a dog from one food to another? (I'm assuming you start out slowly with mainly the first food and slowly switch the amounts until the new food is all she has)
It should take 7-10 days. Start by giving her 3/4 old food and 1/4 new food for a couple of days then 1/2 and 1/2 for another couple of days andthen 1/4 old food and 3/4 new food for the next couple days then just the new food. It would be difficult to change to a dry because wet is much more pallatable but if you choose a good dry food, then maybe....

2. If she is a dog that prefers the wet food and I decide to keep her on that, what ones would you suggest that are not SUPER expensive. ( I want to give her a good food but I can't break the bank either)

Eagle Pack Holistic Selects, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul (not too sure of the exact name)

3. What are some supplements that I can use to make sure she gets everything that she needs nutritionally that the wet food might not include? ( I'm leaning more to the fact that I know that kibble is good for her teeth, and I know that you have to be careful with chew toys and bones and such-- and I'm concerned with how much water there is in the wet food.)
Wet food is generally better because of the moisture content. However, it is not as nutritionally dense so you have to feed more. Kibble may clean the tips of your dog's teeth but it also pushes debris up into the gumline and between the teeth which, in turn, turns to plaque and then tartar. So just forget that myth. I would stick with the wet and brush her teeth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts