Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... well... i normally dont do this but... my girls have been on taste of the wild for the last 3yrs. i typically dont get too hyped about the recalls, especially when they dont concern my food. i think ive just had it with diamond though. dont get me wrong, i love the food and my girls do great on it, but i just can stand the recalls from them. now with the production stopping as well, the prices have went up a LOT here. yay... today im going to go pricing and see what i can find. i have a few in mind i want to look at, but the price is going to have a big effect on what i buy. not to mention poor Lexi gets "booty blowout" when we switch foods. poor girl....

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Will you let us know what you decide? Katie is on TOTW, but I'm seriously thinking about finding something else - even if we just rotate TOTW with a non-Diamond food so that we have another option for times such as this. We have half a 30lb bag of the lamb formula and a full 30lb bag of the fish formula, so I have time to research and transition. Sometimes I wish I knew and cared less - life would be so much easier. ;)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I bought a bag of Blue Basic Limited Ingredients for sensitivities last Saturday. I did a 50/50 mix and have had no digestive issues or gas or loose stools. I want to switch from 4Health and TOTW to this. The only ingredients I am a little leery of are the oil of rosemary and garlic. I am reading that they are in very small quantities.

I pay just as much for two different foods as it would cost me for just the BB. in a large quantity. I am just tired of all the recalls whether they are being responsible about it or not.

And really as far as the garlic goes ... nothing is totally proven ... my mixed Terrier mutt lived for 17 years on my Mother's cooking and ate spaghetti sauce at least once a week with garlic in it. He never got ill ... just had a stroke at age 15 ... probably from high cholesterol! lol! :)

Maybe some day when they get their act together I will try them again.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm switching Potsie to Acana from TOTW for the same reason. I'm tired of hearing about Diamond recalls every few years. I may throw Blue Buffalo Wilderness into the rotation eventually, too. Other good foods are Instinct and Earthborn. Origen is good, but terribly expensive, and it causes stomach upset in a lot of dogs b/c it's so rich, so I avoid that one.

If your dog has issues when you switch foods, do it slower. I usually do it over the course of about 3-4 weeks. Also, try putting a spoonful of no fat Greek yogurt in the food to help settle a gassy tummy. If your dog gets diahrrea, try adding a spoonful of plain canned pumpkin to her food (NOT pumpkin pie filling).

·
Registered
801 Posts
You could try Blue Buffalo or Castor & Pollux with some pumpkin added to it. Also, I give my pup Prozyme when I switch foods. I don't bother mixing old food with new, just switch cold turkey. She doesn't seem to have any issues so long as I add the Prozyme every day for a week or two. Oh, and if you go to Blue Buffalo's website and compare your food to Blue then you can get a $5 coupon.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
For somewhat budget friendly grainfree's, look at Earthborn. Other grainfrees that are good but not as cheap are Acana, Canine Caviar and Annamaet.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to see what's available around here and what its priced at. Thanks for the info guys, I actually run a canine nutrition seminar around wny and I have a client base for nutrition consults, so I have good methods for changing foods and how to help with gi upsets. I have to go pricing today, that will be the deciding factor. If I was switching from a low quality food I wouldn't care about price, but seeing as how they only eat 4 cups a day each, I don't see being able to feed much less than that to a 125lb dog!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after some shopping today I decided to go with Back to Basics. Its a little more expencive but I really loved the ingredients.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I bought a bag of Blue Basic Limited Ingredients for sensitivities last Saturday. I did a 50/50 mix and have had no digestive issues or gas or loose stools. I want to switch from 4Health and TOTW to this. The only ingredients I am a little leery of are the oil of rosemary and garlic. I am reading that they are in very small quantities.

I pay just as much for two different foods as it would cost me for just the BB. in a large quantity. I am just tired of all the recalls whether they are being responsible about it or not.

And really as far as the garlic goes ... nothing is totally proven ... my mixed Terrier mutt lived for 17 years on my Mother's cooking and ate spaghetti sauce at least once a week with garlic in it. He never got ill ... just had a stroke at age 15 ... probably from high cholesterol! lol! :)

Maybe some day when they get their act together I will try them again.
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...rand_list.cfm?Trade_Name=BLUE BUFFALO&pet=Dog. If you are concerned about recalled foods (you'd better be planning on home cooking your meals if you want dog food that's never been in a factory with a recall.) I also would note where the Blue Buffalo recall came from. It appears to be from USDA, which means that they didn't test and they didn't do a voluntary recall.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
For somewhat budget friendly grainfree's, look at Earthborn. Other grainfrees that are good but not as cheap are Acana, Canine Caviar and Annamaet.
Thanks for mentioning Earthborn. It looks to be very close in quality and price to TOTW so I'm going to add it to my rotation. It will be nice to add turkey as another protein source not available in any of the TOTW formulas.

EDIT: Actually, now that I look at it, the Primitive Natural is pretty comparable to Orijen...and I found it on Amazon with free shipping for only $3 more than I spend on TOTW in the store. Nice. :)Here's the link if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i truthfully dont care for blue buffalo anyway. i think its way overpriced for the ingredients that are in it. and i understand a lot of foods have been recalled, trust me. but im just tired of having so many issues with diamond being recalled most of the time, and with the stop of shipment/production, the prices of diamond have gone up so high that the ingredients no longer match the price!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I am thinking about doing Earthborn via Amazon and also Blackwoods grain free. I'm like others I'm just done with Diamond and all their issues.

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Thanks for mentioning Earthborn. It looks to be very close in quality and price to TOTW so I'm going to add it to my rotation. It will be nice to add turkey as another protein source not available in any of the TOTW formulas.

EDIT: Actually, now that I look at it, the Primitive Natural is pretty comparable to Orijen...and I found it on Amazon with free shipping for only $3 more than I spend on TOTW in the store. Nice. :)Here's the link if anyone's interested.

I have feed the Earthborn Primitive Natural for almost 3 years now; plus for 5 months to the foster pup Luna, and think it is a very good quality food. Made in Indiana and has no ingredients that concern me (even their fish is a-ok!)
I pay $50 for a 28 lbs bag at our local pet shop (the kind of pet shop that has humane society adoptions and not pet sales....) and 80 lbs Chester eats 2.5 cups/day or basically a bag per month.

I wouldn't mind switching off of TOTW but I cannot find a comparable grain free alternative for the price. $45 for a 30 lb bag. If the prices start to skyrocket in my area I will look for another food of course, but for right now we're staying with it.

On a side note, I was looking on Amazon and found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Grandma-Lucys-Artisan-Grain-Formula/dp/B0016A91PS/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_4

Why is it $75 for a 10 lb bag?!?! What am I missing??
Grandma Lucy's is a dehydrated food. 10 lbs should equal out to about 50 lbs of dry dog food.
And for you I would also recommend the Earthborn grain-free choices; they are about the same price as TOTW.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I wouldn't mind switching off of TOTW but I cannot find a comparable grain free alternative for the price. $45 for a 30 lb bag. If the prices start to skyrocket in my area I will look for another food of course, but for right now we're staying with it.

On a side note, I was looking on Amazon and found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Grandma-Lucys-Artisan-Grain-Formula/dp/B0016A91PS/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_4

Why is it $75 for a 10 lb bag?!?! What am I missing??
It says it's freeze dried so I assume it's extremely dense and you don't have to feed much at all. I don't know for sure but it might be intended to be rehydrated as well, so 10 pounds is probably a lot more once rehydrated. I'm sure it's still expensive, though.

I agree though, that it's hard to beat the value of TOTW. Earthborn seems to come close though, at least where I've seen it online.

EDIT: lol, Shell beat me to it. ;p

·
Registered
463 Posts
lol I hate when that happens!!! Take all the time to type out everything and somebody beats you to it.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Fromm is, IMO, one of the most reputable companies around. If you find a formula of theirs that your does well on, can't wrong with them. Never had a recall, small family owned business, reputable company, fantastic customer service, testing, and all that.

We've also always had the best luck with Acana as well.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I was just looking at foods available on Amazon in the same price range as TOTW (since most seem to have free shipping) and found something calledHi-Tek Naturals Grain Free. It seems good for the same price as TOTW (it got a 4.5 on dogfoodadvisor). Just thought I'd mention it since people were exploring different foods.

·
Registered
246 Posts
http://www.wag.com/dog/p/acana-wild-prairie-154432

wagny25 will get you a 25% discount and you get free shipping at 50 bucks. I know you are seeing sticker shock right now, but believe me it really isn't that much of a difference because servings are smaller for Acana then TOTW. At first I was freaking out, but they eat less and it ends up being about the same price for each meal. Plus, they LOVE it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts