Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Penny, my 9 month old female Jack Russell, has been eating Orijen Original since she reached the 7 month mark and absolutely LOVES it. But recently she has had really Stinky breath, eating her own poo, has become really gassy and has really runny poos (although this could be from her eating her poo).

Penny has been on chicken and rice for 48 hours and is now back on kibble - her poo has now firmed but she is getting gassy again.

I have done some research and found that whilst Orijen is a fantastic grain free kibble, it can be too rich for some small dogs at 85% meat and 38% protein (Penny's on the small side even for a Jack Russell, weighing only 5kg).

I was wondering what other foods I can feed her that is on par with Orijen just less rich? We are based in Hong Kong and Acana can be difficult to get hold of here. I have also looked into Canagan which has some sterling reviews 65% meats but 36% protein.

Has any of your dogs had problems with Orijen? And what foods do you feed your puppies sensitive tummies?

Attached is a picture of Penny after her dinner, I kid you not, she loves Orijen dog food but it's making her real Smelly! :lie::doh:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
It is quite possible that you are simply overfeeding her by a bit. High protein is good, but with calorie dense kibble sometimes its easy to overfeed. If you are feeding towards the middle to higher side of the recommended amount listed on the bag, try cutting back to just under the middle recommended amount or just under that for a week or two and see what happens

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds reasonable, I will try that. I have been feeding her according to the feeding guidelines, 3/4 cup per day and a little more for a young puppy. I’ll try feeding just over half cup and see how she gets on.

I have also wondered if the stinky breath/loose stools is because of her eating her poo. As much as I try to scoop up every last bit, she almost always finds a stray stinker :doh: I have noticed that she’s only interested in the healthier looking stuff and leaves the runny bits.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Not a lot of pet dogs really fall into the active category for the feeding guidelines. Also, fixed dogs generally need fewer calories than intact dogs.

Try the 1/2 cup amount and try adding a teaspoon of canned pumpkin (not the pie filling, just plain pumpkin) to each meal. It can help her stools and also reduce her eating them. Plain cooked pumpkin is the same if you cannot find canned but can find fresh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts