Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two months we've had Basil on Blue Wilderness. That's almost the entire time we've owned him. After we moved to Dallas we discovered a whole bunch of pet supply stores other than Petsmart, so we decided to upgrade to a better food. Blue Wilderness is pretty much the best Petsmart has, and his coat looks great and he has tons of energy, but he still has runny poos. Anyways, we picked up a 5lb bag of Taste of the Wild Prairie formula. I wanted to make sure we still had some Blue so we could make the food switch a gradual transition, but we have a LOT more Blue then I realized, lol! Like 3lbs, which is a lot for a Pap! I'm feeling pretty stupid now XD

Anyways, I figured we'd just make it a REALLY slow transition to the new food and keep him on the Blue for a little longer. However, Basil's suddenly stopped caring for his Blue kibble. He didn't touch his breakfast yesterday until 5pm, and his dinner at 10pm!! I dunno if he refuses it because he prefers TotW (I sprinkled a little bit on top of his Blue and he gobbled it up first, so I know he likes it) or if he doesn't like the kitchen. Since we moved here two weeks ago he's always been wary of the kitchen. It's really small, the floor space is probably 6ft by 3ft, with an oven, a fridge, a dishwasher and cupboards on both long sides. He doesn't particularly like to go in there if my boyfriend or I am in there, and waits till we leave, and he really doesn't like when we open the fridge or dishwasher, etc. When he eats, he grabs a mouthful of kibble and carries it into the living room or dining room. However, the not eating is a fairly recent thing, he would always eat his kibble on time up until a few days ago.

So what do you think I should do? I think I should probably move his bowl, but I don't like the fact that the kitchen makes him uneasy, I wish we could make him feel comfortable in there. He's fine in the bathroom, which is only a little bit bigger. But do you think I should just go ahead and switch to TotW, even though he has so much Blue left? I feel like I'm wasting money, though I'd really like to see if this food switch gets his runny poo under control. We've used pumpkin but I think it's sort of lame for that to be a perminant solution. What should I do?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
You can donate the extra Blue to an animal shelter or to a friend who has less picky dogs. That way it's not wasted, at least.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JJ14, I suppose that's a good way to look at it :) He does like the new stuff a lot better, too.

Willowy, wow, I never thought of that!! We just moved so we don't know anyone in our area, but I've always wanted to help out shelter dogs, but I'm too busy to volunteer and I don't have enough money to donate things like new crates. Maybe I can ask if they have any allergy sufferes, as Blue Wilderness is grain free :) Do you think they'll mind if it's in a ziplock bag and not the original bag? It would have probably gone stale otherwise, but I don't want them to think I'm trying to sneak something funny to the dogs like poison...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Nargle

Sounds like you have more than one issue going on with your Basil ... the food switch and also him taking time adjusting to his new environment.

Isn't that weird about the kitchen? And he was OK with your old kitchen before you moved to Dallas? If it were me, I would try and think of ways to get him to very gradually get over whatever his fears are. I'm struggling to think of ways to do this :D How about always giving him his favorite treat and having him do tricks in the kitchen?? ... that way eventually he may associate it with a fun and safe place?

I agree with the others, sounds like he's not giving you a choice but to do an immediate switch. An alternative to pumpkin is also apple puree (100% apple) ... I've used that before with good results ... apparently it works both ways ... for stool hardening and softening. Go figure.

One last thing, btw, I've been told that it's never good to remove dry food and store it in ziplocs (believe it or not!!!). I used to do that too! Particularly with the better quality brands such as you're using, it's better to either just tightly fold the bag and use a big clip, or best solution is to then stick the whole original bag in a sealed container.

Hope this helps and good luck with Basil :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would agree. Just do the switch. Making it a s-l-o-w process is a little overrated. Be sensible but just make the switch and donate to rest of the food to a rescue. Often there is a drop bin in the front of most the pet stores I work with.

One thing I mention to people is that if your dog was to revert to feeding for itself, the diet and protein sources change almost daily.

Also, loose stool does not always mean that they are "sick". Unlike we humans. Stresses can often be a source of loosened stool. I also suggest the canned pumpkin many many times over the years. In fact...I think Libby's should send me a huge check for all the pumpkin Ive pushed over the years.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Nargle

Sounds like you have more than one issue going on with your Basil ... the food switch and also him taking time adjusting to his new environment.

Isn't that weird about the kitchen? And he was OK with your old kitchen before you moved to Dallas? If it were me, I would try and think of ways to get him to very gradually get over whatever his fears are. I'm struggling to think of ways to do this D How about always giving him his favorite treat and having him do tricks in the kitchen?? ... that way eventually he may associate it with a fun and safe place?

I agree with the others, sounds like he's not giving you a choice but to do an immediate switch. An alternative to pumpkin is also apple puree (100% apple) ... I've used that before with good results ... apparently it works both ways ... for stool hardening and softening. Go figure.

One last thing, btw, I've been told that it's never good to remove dry food and store it in ziplocs (believe it or not!!!). I used to do that too! Particularly with the better quality brands such as you're using, it's better to either just tightly fold the bag and use a big clip, or best solution is to then stick the whole original bag in a sealed container.

Hope this helps and good luck with Basil :)
I really think the kitchen is a very bizarre thing to him right now :) My boyfriend and I used to live with my boyfriend's mom, and we kept everything upstairs, even Basil's food. Basil didn't eat in the kitchen, or even spend much time in there at all. Plus, it was much bigger, and two different ways you could walk in and out. I think from Basil's perspective, the new kitchen is a small, cramped, noisy (clattering dishes, garbage disposal, microwave, etc) tunnel or cave, with randomly swinging doors on all sides. We've started trying to make it a more inviting, less chaotic place. Also, (healthy) treats come from the kitchen, so that's a plus :D

We've also started feeding him his meals next to the dining room table at breakfast and dinner. I think he likes eating with his "pack" a lot more, plus I like having the whole family together at mealtime :D Though I still don't want him to fear the kitchen, so we'll continue working on that.

Also, I had no idea about the ziploc thing! What exactly makes it bad to keep food in a bag? I don't have the original bag for the Blue, I'm just worried that a shelter won't take it in a bag. However, I do have the original bag for the TotW, and a pretty well sealed plastic container. Should I put the TotW back into it's original bag and then into a container, even though it's been in a ziplock for a few days? Currently the Blue is in a ziploc bag inside the container, and the TotW is just in two ziploc bags. I'm really curious, though, what exactly is the problem with the ziploc bags?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Move the bowl so he doesn't feel scared to eat, most dogs like eating in peace. Also, take what food you have left of the blue or whatver and donate it ot he animal shelter or soemthing. :)

edit-

I read your above post. go up to the shelter and explain your situation, tell them you don't have the original bag etc, but hopefully they'll still take it. if they don't ask them what else you could do with it because they might have better ideas than us. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Also, I had no idea about the ziploc thing! What exactly makes it bad to keep food in a bag? I don't have the original bag for the Blue, I'm just worried that a shelter won't take it in a bag. However, I do have the original bag for the TotW, and a pretty well sealed plastic container. Should I put the TotW back into it's original bag and then into a container, even though it's been in a ziplock for a few days? Currently the Blue is in a ziploc bag inside the container, and the TotW is just in two ziploc bags. I'm really curious, though, what exactly is the problem with the ziploc bags?
OK, you got me doing my homework here before I just replied with something to the effect of "something to do with oxygen getting to it"! :D:D

Actually, it was first mentioned to me by the guru at my local pet store. I buy the hugest bag (30+ lbs) for a 30 lb pup (most economical) and was using ziplocs. I then also read it on one of the actual dog food bags. I looked at both of the ones I have now, but neither of them have mention of it, so it was on one of the many rotation foods I've used. (Can't remember which).

Anyhooo ... this site explains it all in great detail ...
http://naturalpaw.wordpress.com/2007/11/19/how-you-store-dry-dog-food-will-affect-your-dogs-health/
In particular under "Keep Food Fresh".

Another totally separate reason to keep it in the original bag was also mentioned in Whole Dog Journal. ie In the event of any suspected contamination incidents, etc. (Heaven Forbid :mad:) At least you'll have all the info (and proof) still in and on the bag.

This is very interesting, because I don't believe it's common knowledge at all and no doubt many people do believe ziplocs are the best way to store dog food. I know many people who then freeze the ziplocs as well.

I don't know that I can fit a 30 lb bag in my freezer though, lol!!! And no doubt, Basil would be totally mortified to now see this type of thing taking place in that kitchen!!! :p

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that's a lot of interesting info!! Thanks so much! :D
It makes me sort of glad I bought the small bag, lol! But I'll definitely use better storage methods in the future! I kind of wish other companies would make resealable bags, though. Blue Buffalo does this with their 5lb bags, and I was dissapointed to find out that TotW doesn't.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey thanks for posting!
IMO
sorry that you couldnt be satisfied with the dog food at Petsmart.
I feed my dog blue's buffalo as well,
they love it, nutrient based, just an overall good food.
now before i fed them that i was feeding them authority, petsmart premium brand, which is full of nutrients no fillers, and the corn that it has is made from corn husks which is actually good for the dog. but when i switched it had upset his stomach.
most dog foods will do this due to the difference in the nutrients.
i would recomments
75%-old food
25%-new food.
for the first 1-3 days
---
50%-of each food | 4-7 days
---
all new dog food now

best of luck bud. any questions feel free to pm me.

P.909

1 - 11 of 11 Posts