Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog has been on Acana ever since I adopted her 3 years ago. Through trial and error we figured out that she does best on the Singles Lamb formula, but also does ok on the Grasslands and the Pacifica (but makes her very gassy). She seems to do well on Orijen 6 fish as well.

Over the past 6 months, however, she started refusing the lamb completely, sometimes going days without eating. We went through several bags with different lot numbers, thinking it could just be a bad batch, but nope. Also saw the vet, who ran a physical exam and some blood tests and found nothing wrong.

Since I like to keep her on a rotational diet, I've been looking for another food to add to our rotation. She can't have any of the other Orijen or Acana formulas due to allergies and sensitivities. I have tried her on Fromm but find the kibble much too small.

A local company recently came out with a grain free line, containing 2 formulas that may work. While the ingredients (IMO) don't read as well as Anaca/Orijen's, every single dog I've seen on this food has a fantastic coat, good energy, and good weight. Here are the analysis and ingredients for the seafood formula:

Crude Protein (min.) 34.00%
Crude Fat (min.) 18.00%
Crude Fibre (max.) 5.0%
Moisture (max.) 10.00%

Herring Meal, Seasonal Fish Meal (Capelin, Mackerel, and/or Whitefish), Lobster Meal, Sweet Potato, Green Peas, Red Lentils, Chickpeas, Sunflower Oil, Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Form of Vitamin E), Whitefish, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Zucchini, Flaxseed, Blueberries, Carrots, , Kelp, Choline Chloride, DL- Methionine, Salt, Citric Acid, Limestone, Zinc Methionine, Selenium Yeast, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Potassium Chloride, Copper Proteinate, L-Lysine Hydrochloride, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin K Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Chicory Root, Kale, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Spinach, Ginger, Peppermint, Chamomile, Turmeric, Celery Seed, Dried Rosemary.

Thoughts? Open to recommendations as well. Dog is ~ 4 years old, shepherd/lab/husky mix. 55lbs. Definitely allergic to chicken, salmon and pork, seems to be ok with duck and turkey as long as it's not the main protein source. Doesn't do the best on corn or wheat but seems fine with oats (haven't tried anything else). Raw is not an option for us, and a Canadian brand would be preferred.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Looks like a darn good option to me! If there's no ingredients your pup is known to react to, I say try it out. Start with a small bag, maybe, so that you're not out too much if it doesn't work out. Afraid I'm not familiar with Canadian brands so I can't help there, but good luck!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I also am not familiar with Canadian brands so not the biggest help. But to me, that food looks pretty good! I like the ingredients and protein fat amounts. I don't see how Acana looks any better, to be honest. Going by ingredients alone, I would actually prefer this food over Acana as it has more protein and yet less pea/chickpea/lentil/bean ingredients.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks good to me and, if it's locally, easily available, that's a good option. Before I moved here, I fed Blue Buffalo but, it's a 40 mile drive to get it here so, since Wal Mart is all there is for pet food in town (still 15 miles away) I put them on Pure Balance for their kibble (most of their diet is raw.)

It was that or Pro Plan Adult Lamb and Rice, Iams Green bag adult, Pedigree, Purina or, Ol' Roy. That's all that small store has. Not quite as good as Blue but, my four do get raw and, they are dong fine with the food.

There comes a point when you need to balance price, availability and quality. I chose the best I could get easily without paying 60.00 a bag and, waiting for it to be shipped to me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! It's a similar price point to Acana, and 100% guaranteed so I'm not very worried about trying it out (unless you guys said there was something super wrong ingredients-wise). By "reading better" I mainly meant that Acana/Orijen's ingredients are meat/legumes/fruits and veg whereas this food seems to have a lot of supplements (some of which I'm not sure what they do). Not necessarily a bad thing, just different from what I'm used to!

·
Registered
8 Posts
heyhey! i think its more important for your pup to like the new food more than anything else. yes nutrients is important but if your pup rejects the food then theres really no point i guess. plus you might need to monitor if your pup is showing any signs of rejection, rashes and the smell of the poop may even change with the feed! haha

came across this article on helping your pup change its diet after doing some research. might help a lil!

https://petfoodcare.com.sg/2018/02/07/dog-food-change/

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes, pup accepting the new food is important to a point but, a dog won't starve themselves to death if food is available. As long as there isn't a medical or health reason for the dog not to eat a food and, it's a quality food that provides the right nutrition without corn filler, then the pup will eventually eat it.

Keep changing food just to please the dog and, you create a picky eater that will try to hold out for the tastier, table scraps, meat, canned food etc... You don't want that, the dog needs to learn that it has to eat what you provide, even if it thinks there might be better if it waits - there can;'t be better, the dog will eventually eat as long there isn't a medical reason not to.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Looks like a good food! Fat levels are slightly below what I look for for my dogs, but every dog is different.

Not everyone likes to use the tough love method for food - myself included. Yeah, everyone knows a dog will eat eventually if you only offer the same food, but not only are there several (health-related) reasons that tough love may not be a good option, I personally don't like forcing my dogs to eat something they don't like. Most dogs already have to eat the same plain kibble every day, might as well be something they like.

·
Registered
180 Posts
To a point, but not when you get one like my step daughter created. Fool dog has to have a DIFFERENT flavor of canned food mixed with a DIFFERENT human food meat dripping every meal - won't eat the same thing twice in a row, won't eat kibble, won't eat plain meat.

I babysat that dog for a week, dog didn't eat for three days - I don't cater to that garbage - eat what's served or don't eat - same as kids, eat what's cooked or don't eat at all, your choice.

Not allergic too it, it doesn't taste nasty, it doesn't smell nasty, it's got the nutrition you need and, it's prepared properly but you won't eat it - oh well, that's your problem.

I prefer a steak to red beans and rice but, that doesn't mean I'm not going to eat the red beans and rice if that's what's for dinner. I don't particularly like raw tomatoes but, if you serve them to me as the vegetable for a meal, I'll eat them. They are nutritious and, assuming they are not rotten, they won't hurt me and, aren't nasty tasting, they just aren't what I prefer to eat - too bad, it's what's being served, eat it.

Same goes for my dogs. I feed them a diet that is appropriate and nutritious for them adn, it's clean, properly prepared for them and, of good quality, not stale or rotten. They will eat or go hungry, it's up to them once I serve the food to them. They eat, though for a day or two after I got them, the balked.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bluemoods - while I agree that some owners create a problem by adding extras whenever the dog doesn't eat straight away, I can assure you that this isn't the case here. I never add toppers, except maybe some pumpkin or goats milk when she has an upset stomach. Dog only ate enough to not be hungry (few bites a day) and started losing weight despite a clean bill of health from the vet, which is when we decided to switch foods. I'm still not sure if she just finally got sick of it since it's been her main kibble for 3 years, or if they somehow changed formula/suppliers for their ingredients which could have altered the taste. Either way, there are too many good foods out there to keep feeding her one she doesn't like!

On a good note, I got my hands on some samples and she went absolutely nuts for both formulas! In fact, I stuffed a few kibbles in one of her toys and she's been working at it for the past 30 minutes. Crossing my fingers that she doesn't react to any of the ingredients.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If the formula or ingredients changed, that makes sense, it might not be as high a quality as it was and the dog knows something isn't right about the food now. Dogs can smell or taste things we can't, might even be a pathogen in that batch that the dog smells or tasts and, knows not to eat.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, we'll definitely be adding this food to our rotation! Have been feeding some of the samples as treats for the past week and her ears and skin are still clear (yay!) so she doesn't seem allergic!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts