Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beagle has been on Natural Balance for a full week and a half now, after a week of transitioning him from his old food. His stool is still very runny and diarrhea-like. I switched to Natural Balance only after the same thing happened to him in Wellness after a full week. His stool was just fine when he had been on Nutro Max, but I wanted to feed him something better.
My question is how much longer do I keep him on Natural Balance before I decide it's not working out? And then should I put him back on Nutro, even though the ingredients aren't as good?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would give it no less than 2 weeks, preferably a full month. You can add a little bit (a couple of teaspoons) of canned pumpkin (plain, not the pie filling) to his food and that should help firm them up while transitioning.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
General rule of thumb is at least 4-6 weeks unless of course there are severe adverse reactions.

Which Natural Balance is are you feeding? Has the dog seen the vet to see if there are other issues going on? If he checks out fine at the vet you could be switching too often which would cause gastric upset.

What you could do is take him off all kibble and give him boiled chicken and rice until his stool is back to normal. Once he's at that point gradually and I mean very gradually start replacing some of the chicken/rice mixture with natural balance. Over a week or so keep replacing the chick/rice with NB and see what happens.

If he starts getting loose stool again, it's a pretty good bet it's the food and maybe Nutro is what works best for him.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
A full week is nowhere near enough to yield results... you need up to two months, probably more. I usually give it about ten weeks. Switching foods around in such a short span of time can make the runny stools and digestive problems even worse.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the above posts. Gotta give it more time. Some people use an enxyme/probiotic supplement to help with transition. You can buy Solid Gold Seameal at PetCo, that has Prozyme in it, and of course, seewead meal. That might help transition a little easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts