Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi gang, I'm a newbie.

I've gotten my 11 month-old dog used to cooked food. I am now making the switch to Royal Canin kibbles and my dog has barely eaten in two days. But this time I'm sticking to the program: it's kibbles or nothing.

before you let the dogs out on me, here's the explanation:

- with prepared food I don't know if I'm providing him with a balanced diet (a typical meal would include loads of rice, some kind of meat, carrots, broccoli).
- stool quality is poor with prepared food (the few times he did eat the kibbles, stool quality improves dramatically).
- dog food like RC, prepared in consultation with vets, will provide all the nutrients he needs.

those are the primary reasons.

Less important, but part of the equation: I'm unemployed and RC kibbles, although they are not the cheapest dog food, are still cheaper than buying human meat at the store. I do emphasize the less important aspect of this.

What brings me to the forum is a little nagging worry that my dog might go on a hunger strike. Maybe he is also going for broke.

This is our third attempt at this. In the past I would eventually crack and either give him some of my mine or make a batch of rice and start adding stuff to it (as specified above). But this time I am forcing him to accept his kibbles. Hell, even I've tried them and they're fresh and they're OK.

Again, don't lecture me on trying to go cheap: I'm one of those dog owners (and I know there's many of us) who will not feed by-products to my dog. My conscience is clear.

I just hate to see my dog clam up like this and be hungry.

My mother said maybe he has a gums or a teeth issue and thus cannot chew. Untrue as I discovered; throw him a rawhide and he'll tear it up in two minutes flat.

if anyone has any explanation let me know.

PS: I live in France and by-products-free wet food is crazy expensive (about 5 bucks a can). can't do it.

Thanks

Rogan

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Nutritious cardboard is not as yummy as fresh home cooked stew :) ... Too bad. The dog won't starve and may even live longer.
However, go ahead and prepare some home cooked dog food, then make a 50% - 50% mix with the kibble. Over the next few days, reduce it to 25% home-cooked, 10% home-cooked, then just a few pieces. You might also add a little gravy or ketchup to the kibble.

But, most healthy dogs will not starve themselves, in 2 - 3 days, he should be ready for cardboard :)

BTW - I give my dog kibble and a raw carrot, sometimes some steamed green beans.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Hank,
thanks a lot for the feedback, much appreciated.
homecooked is always better, agreed. royal canin kibbles ain't all that bad I thought, I've done the taste-test myself. anyway, I might follow your advice, thanks again!
Rogan Official

Nutritious cardboard is not as yummy as fresh home cooked stew :) ... Too bad. The dog won't starve and may even live longer.
However, go ahead and prepare some home cooked dog food, then make a 50% - 50% mix with the kibble. Over the next few days, reduce it to 25% home-cooked, 10% home-cooked, then just a few pieces. You might also add a little gravy or ketchup to the kibble.

But, most healthy dogs will not starve themselves, in 2 - 3 days, he should be ready for cardboard :)

BTW - I give my dog kibble and a raw carrot, sometimes some steamed green beans.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would try something else besides Royal Canin if you're going back to kibbles. I've never used the dog food but I did have a kitten on it for a while and he always had dry itchy skin. Its pretty expensive stuff and if you're willing to pay that much I would try something of better quality. (If I sound snotty I don't mean to be!!)

By-products really aren't that bad and I'm fine with them in my dog food. Can you get something like Purina One or 4health or similar to that in France?

And don't worry about him starving himself, a healthy dog won't do it. Just put the food down for 15 minutes or so and walk away and if he doesn't eat it pick it up and try again at the next meal time.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts

What HS says is true, the dog will survive fine and I have never had a normal healthy dog starve themselves. I've fed kibble 50 yrs, If my wife dies I'll have to start eating kibble cause I don't cook.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I feed my dog 50-50. I buy chicken & beef when it's on sale. Simmer up a batch, freeze the rest. I cut it up into chunks & give him 1 Cup of Beef or Chicken a night along with some veggies & sweet potatoes & 1/2 Cup of Dry Food. I mix it up with a few teaspoons of the broth from the meat & he has himself a meal. My guy doesn't like rice, but he loves his sweet potatoes - they're not expensive either & healthy for them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So many responses, this is fantastic! :clap2: Donna thanks for the recipe tips. it's funny, I was doing EXACTLY the same thing you were, even separating the broth to add it in the mix later on.. a complicated procedure but worth it, but like I said, this time I'm really going for broke on this switch to kibbles thing. I like the idea of having something stable, continuous, no sweat. sure, I confess, it's a little self-serving, but it's for now. Whenever possible in the future I will make home cooked meals, sure, but for now I need my guy to get used to kibbles being an adequate meal that he will have to appreciate.

you guys are great, thanks to Julie, too and everyone else for your useful feedback.

just came back from bike riding with him. it's a new activity I've taken up with him, because I want him to run (he's a terrific runner). In Paris you can rent bikes super easy, when you get a yearly pass, the weather is awesome and we go down bike paths (all over the city, our mayor is car-averse) and he runs super fast alongside me as I pedal.

here's some pics of Zed the Dog.
IMG_7064.jpg IMG_6937.jpg IMG_7076.jpg IMG_6971.jpg

I feed my dog 50-50. I buy chicken & beef when it's on sale. Simmer up a batch, freeze the rest. I cut it up into chunks & give him 1 Cup of Beef or Chicken a night along with some veggies & sweet potatoes & 1/2 Cup of Dry Food. I mix it up with a few teaspoons of the broth from the meat & he has himself a meal. My guy doesn't like rice, but he loves his sweet potatoes - they're not expensive either & healthy for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a somewhat similar problem with one of my two dogs. She is very picky and does not care much for the current kibble variety I want to use -- so she too will go on hunger strikes, hoping for something better to show up. I spoke with a vet and the vet said it is fine to let them skip a day or two of meals, but by the third day they should start eating anything they can find. :)

This seems to work out OK and by the end of the 2nd day, the picky one will eat the kibble variety. I decided to use this as an opportunity for praise, by letting the picky one know this was a good decision. When she finishes, I give her a very small treat right after. So far, she is getting more used to the kibble now, and I no longer need to use the treats. She still has her picky moments, but maybe this might help in your situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts