Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I started my Chihuahua, Daphne, on Natures Variety Raw Instinct, after reading that the sodium content and preservatives in commercial kibble can have a greater negative effect on Chihuahuas vs. larger dogs, because of their size.

I've had her for a little over three weeks, and throughout this time she has had constant eye discharge and goo, especially after napping - she'll wake up with greenish goo and discharge that almost covers the whole of her entire right eye (her right eye is smaller than the left and seems to leak more), and the left eye will also have strings of clear discharge. Pretty much every time I look at her I find an eye booger to wipe away.

But today, after starting the new diet, there haven't been any eye boogers or goo, and her tearing has decreased dramatically. I feel like it might be too soon to attribute anything to a change in diet yet, but her eyes looked much brighter and she seems perkier too. (She also seems to like the taste of the raw food better - after her first bowlful today she was so excited that she ran up her stairs so fast to get onto the couch to greet me that she tripped and fell over). I've heard that increases or decreases in health can be more rapid/noticeable in small dogs, and I'm wondering if this might be the case here, especially if she was allergic to something in the food she was getting before.

I should add that I can't think of any environmental factors that have changed, other than the fact that it rained all day today, so maybe that kept some of the pollen down. We'll see if I keep seeing the reduction in eye gunk.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wow!
I've been wanting to put Jr on that food. But I was told high protein can cause in diarrhea and he's sensitive as is.
At the moment I'm switching him to a new brand he hasn't tried before, Nutrisca. I will allow his tummy to get use to it and if all goes well it'll be a rotation food.
Then later on I might just try it.
Did you get the all raw version or the one that has kibble and raw pieces with it?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
raw is lower in protein than most people think...lower in protein than a lot of the higher end kibbles as well...this link isn't the most scientific but it does list a few values that are mirrored in many scientific pages linkylinky

I switched manna to raw before 1 year and Vitae I switched to raw when she was 9 weeks old.

It's usually too much fat and organ meats with too little bone content that cause diarrhea in raw fed dogs. (not always but a lot of the time)

I actually had to switch a previous cat to raw because regular cat food was too high in protein and the prescription food had ingredients that she was allergic too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow!
I've been wanting to put Jr on that food. But I was told high protein can cause in diarrhea and he's sensitive as is.
At the moment I'm switching him to a new brand he hasn't tried before, Nutrisca. I will allow his tummy to get use to it and if all goes well it'll be a rotation food.
Then later on I might just try it.
Did you get the all raw version or the one that has kibble and raw pieces with it?
I'm doing the frozen all raw version. She hasn't had any diarrhea as a result of switching, and is actually pooping a lot less.

I have to say, almost a month later, I'm definitely sold on the raw food, at least for this dog. I definitely think she has some kind of food allergy. I had a friend watch her and my other dogs last week while I had to go out of town, and I didn't want them to have to deal with the hassle of thawing out the raw food and separating her bowl from the other dogs, so I had them give her the Acana that I give my other dogs, which also seems to work well for her. When I came back to pick her up they said that they had mixed some purina in with her food. My other dogs don't have a problem with purina, but Daphne smelled bad again and just looked kind of gross, like she did before I put her on the raw diet. There was also a lot of licking. Now we're two days back on raw, and her coat looks nicer again, and she no longer has the bad smell. I wish it wasn't so expensive because I would put my other dogs on it as well, but since they don't seem to have any food allergies I'll probably just keep them on their kibble and add raw occasionally since they seem to like it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It depends on how your dog reacts to raw food. Since you're seeing positive results after switching to raw, it would be best to continue with it. Hoping that Daphne would respond positively to raw food over time!

·
Registered
320 Posts
This sounds great! I sometimes feel like I spend wayyy too much on frozen raw for my pup, but she was weaned at the breeder's to a raw diet and I don't really want to chance it with anything else. There are pretty good deals to be had in my area (the brand I use is local) and Chewy.com has a nice discount if you autoship (and the frozen food arrives packed in dry ice, still COMPLETELY frozen).

My pup's breeder actually grinds the raw diet she feeds her dogs herself, which makes things more economical. I'm not confident enough to try that just yet, but it makes sense if you're feeding multiple dogs because the price can really get up there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts