Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I was loving Orijen Senior, and so were my dogs! I still think it is one of, if not the best food out there! I may continue to feed it to Lucy & Desi, but I haven't decided at this point. But..........Stella came down with a UTI/Struvite crystals :(. I had a urinalysis done and it came back with the info. Frankly, I was worried about the high protein for her, especially. I thought Orijen was lower in ash, phosphorus, magnesium, but maybe I was mistaken...? She seemed to be doing as great as the other two on the food. And they all loved it. However, Stella doesn't drink alot and I went from dry/wet to just dry with the Orijen, so maybe that caused her UTI. I should've known. I'm not blaming myself, but I still feel bad. The vet gave her an anitbiotic and said she needed to go on Royal Canin SO (yuck!). I did buy the food - dry only, because it is a wee better quality than the can - but I just can't bring myself to feed it to her. I did for 2 days. She seems to like it ok, but it smells and looks like the snack "corn nuts" I used to see when I was younger!! Anyway, I decided to put the dogs back on EPHS Anchovy dry/can mixed with water. I also ordered some Solid Gold Berry Balance for Stella. I guess I could just try adding can and water to the Orijen, too, but for right now I've gone back to a lower protein food. I know it's grain inclusive, but that really doesn't bother me all too much. Please wish me luck with this....she goes back to the vet in 3-4 weeks for a recheck. Oh, btw, I also ordered some ph sticks to check her urine ph. Hopefully, she will get better with what I am doing! I DO NOT want to put her on prescription food! But, you all know that I will do what is best for my "furkids" because I love them.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you MoonStr80 for your sentiment and the info. you pm'ed to me. I have been doing research on this, but your info. helped alot! I will probably put her back on Orijen, but just add some canned food to it. She does need extra water I think. Again, thank you for your concern!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Lots of water! Here is a little calculator to estimate how much water your dog may need. I give Sassy 1.5 times that amount on top of her subcutaneous fluids. She pees a lot but it really helps her feel good and 'sassy' again.
http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/h2o.htm

Adding water to those kidney diet 'corn pops' + the 2007 dog food recalls led me to her current home cooked diet! Corn pops and water, yum. Not!

Do the follow up urinalysis to make sure that UTI is dead. Nasty things.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I have started mixing can with alot of water to her food. I've been checking her urine PH with the strips and it is remaining at 6.....that seems pretty good to me. She is halfway thru the antibiotic. I do have them on EPHS Anchovy right now (dry/can). I'll keep them on it at least until her next recheck to see if her UTI is gone. If it and the crystals are gone, I think I will probably go back to Orijen Sr. but mix it with can and water. She is doing fine otherwise! Thanks for everyone's advice and concern. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts