Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was feeding my 22 lb Cavalier Spaniel mix 1.5 cups of Beneful per day but I recently switched to 1 1/3 cups of Merrick because the ingredient list looks a lot healthier to me. She'd never miss a meal of Beneful but she is declining them often (maybe 30% of the time for Merrick). I feed her twice a day (2/3 cup each time). Typically, she might eat both meals one day but then not eat breakfast the next day. I'll try again a few hours later but that day she typically won't eat anything 'til the evening (when she eats her breakfast but isn't hungry enough for what should be her 2nd meal of the day). Am I just feeding her too much Merrick and she's not hungry? It's a higher protein content than Beneful. Maybe she doesn't need nearly as much total food and I should lower how much I give her? Or maybe she doesn't like this food that much? I appreciate your feedback.

Additional info.: I switched her about 2 weeks ago. For the first week, I did the switch gradually: Day 1 was about 80% Beneful and 20% Merrick; gradually I added more Merrick and decreased the Beneful. She didn't seem to have any problems during the switch. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
What does the bag say? The difference in quality between Beneful and Merrick is night and day. If you feed a dog a good food (which Merrick is), they don't need to eat as much. As long as her weight is stabilized and she's neither gaining or losing, then you're good.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does the bag say? The difference in quality between Beneful and Merrick is night and day. If you feed a dog a good food (which Merrick is), they don't need to eat as much. As long as her weight is stabilized and she's neither gaining or losing, then you're good.
I guess it says 1 1/3. It's a little complicated because she's right at the border (21 lbs is the cutoff) between the small and medium dog size. But do bags tell you more than what's needed (or maybe the uppermost you'd want to feed) so that they can make more money? I've heard they write the suggestions assuming you have a very active dog. Just wondering: If she doesn't eat her breakfast all day, in the evening should I try to get her to eat double food (her breakfast and dinner) or just forget about the missed meal? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Wow a self regulating eater! Good dog. Just skip the meal. When I try to fatten up Sassy, she would rush the extra food through the system when she was younger and now will vomit up the food that is too much for the stomach. She ATE all the food but couldn't use it. Don't worry about missed meals unless she gets skinny. Not thin, skinny. Sometimes good food grows strong muscle and the dog looks thinner. Feeling the ribs, backbone and hips is fine, seeing them is too skinny.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
You can also try to calculate what the proper daily kcalorie requirement for your dog is. Even if the 'kcal per cup' number is not on the bag, it is often on the product's website.

Of course every dog is an individual, so the actual number is not set in stone, but you can get a rough idea if you're giving around the right amount of food.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's suggesting either 2 or 0.2 cups per day. I assume it's 2 but I'm getting the cal and Kcal a little confused. 2 is a bit higher than I expected since 1 1/3 is what the bag recommended and it seems to be more than she wants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts