Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start off by saying that I'm not sure if this belongs in the food or health forum...

Libby is currently eating Evo Red Meat Small Bites. She has been on this food since mid-May (we switch between the different formulas of Orijen and Evo every third bag, and prior to this she had been on Orijen 6 Fish). She has done very well on this food so far.

Last week, we needed to buy Libby a new bag of dog food, as the bag of Small Bites was almost gone. We purchased a bag of Evo Red Meat Large Bites as they were out of the Small Bites. We didn't care about the size much as she is a medium-sized dog, and figured it would be fine.

Libby has been on this food for 3 days now. Since then, she has vomited at LEAST once a day. It has been bile every time, except once when it was a regurgitated meal. She is fed twice a day (7am and 7pm), plus the occasional treats during the day. She has vomited in the middle of the night, during our morning run, in the middle of the afternoon, and in the evening.

Now, Libby is a gobbler. She inhales her food, so we usually feed her out of a treat dispensing toy, or she earns her meal during our evening training sessions, so she rarely gets to vacuum up an entire bowl at once.

We were thinking that with the new food being in bigger chunks, she is forced to chew, and hence the food is being digested faster? It's the only thing I can come up with.

Unfortunately we emptied the bag of food into a rubbermaid tub so we threw the bag away. The food was not expired or anything, but if something is wrong with the food, I no longer have the batch # or anything.

I have her on a bland diet (boiled chicken and rice) to try to get her back on track, and we have been trying to give her something more substantial in the afternoon and before bed so that her tummy isn't empty.

Otherwise, she is acting 100% normal. Active, enthusiastic, drinking, pooping, peeing, cuddling, playing.

Anyone else experience this? Should I be concerned enough to call a vet?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumping this up, but I am also cross-posting to the health forum as things have gotten worse.

If anyone has any input, it would be great :)

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I don't think chewing more and digesting faster is the problem? Actually what I found in most dogs is the opposite. Since the chunks are larger, perhaps your dog is chewing the same amount and therefore getting food into her faster and causing stomach upset.

I know lots of young dogs that tend to eat too fast and end up vomiting.

You could try crushing the kibble up a bit with a rolling pin or something else and try it. When my dog was a puppy I used to crush her food into smaller pieces especially when she was teething so she didn't just swallow large chunks of food which made her sick.

Another thing to try is add a little water into it and wait about 10 min, let it soften. See if she's better like this. If nothing works, then maybe it's the food? Then you might have to buy another bag of small bites.

I still do it occasionally when I'm feeding Orijen just because the pieces are pretty big and they don't offer it in a different size.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See, that's the thing though. She isn't vomiting the food... she's vomiting bile, as in all the food has digested.

Plus, she rarely eats from a bowl. Either she eats from a food dispensing toy (stretches mealtime over 20 minutes), or in a click-for-dinner session (again, mealtime stretched over 20 minutes).

Because she has gotten worse (vomiting and diarrhea now), we have her off the kibble completely and on a chicken/rice/pumpkin diet until we see what the results of the fecal are.

What are the odds that the food is bad?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I've never heard of a bad bag of EVO..but it could very well be possible. Perhaps do some more vet tests for her first. Then try a new bag of food.

Maybe you can get another sample pack somewhere and see if that helps? That would be much better than spending a lot of money on a new pack.

Sorry I can't help you much. Just keep her hydrated I guess plus it's pretty hot these days too.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I doubt the EVO is bad. Since she's a gobbler, and you had to switch from the small bites to the large bites, this could be the problem. My male has a history of GI problems, a fast eater, and is on the EVO small bites, which he does very well on. I've ended up with the large bites for the same reason you did, and he had some puking and loose stools. It didn't affect the other dogs, so the bag of food wasn't the culprit. I recently introduced TOTW, which all of the dogs are doing well on, except him. TOTW does not have the small bites kibble, so . . . .figure that's it. Don't know how or why, but that's the way it is. He's back on EVO small bites, and no more puking or loose stools.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Libby got a lot, lot worse last night and today, so if you don't mind, let's leave this thread and continue on the one in the health forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts