Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 3 dogs, one that is 2 years, one that is 10 months and one that is almost 6 months. Right now we feed them all Iams, the older two get Iams ProActive Health Lamb & Rice and the puppy gets Iams ProActive Health Puppy. Iams is not the cheapest stuff either, $19 for a #17 and $38 for #40.

So I've been reading and went to the Dog Food Analysis, Iams only gets 1 star? I've been reading up and people have said good things about the Costco Kirkland brand? It's also quite a bit cheaper than the Iams @ $20ish for #40 and gets 3 stars?

Money is tight right now with me being out of work for awhile now. However if there is a better dog food for cheaper or around the same price I would love to get them better food. They do seem to be doing just fine on the Iams though. As far as food I'm looking at it's the Kirkland or the Chicken Soup since we have a feed store right down the street. I don't know how much the Chicken Soup food costs and if it would be worth it over the Kirkland? Or if either would be worth it over the Iams?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Personally, I would take the Kirkland over the Iams and the Chicken Soup over the Kirkland. That's assuming of course, your dogs do equally well on each food--which you won't know until you try.

Since price is a factor for you, I would definitely suggest you try a switch if you can get a better food for less. I've never used Kirkland but I did use CS and would recommend it. My complaint about CS was that it created a lot of poop (not liquid or anything, just a large amount) but it wasn't significant enough that I wouldn't recommend it as a great choice for someone on a budget.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Chicken Soup is much better than Iams. I am going to be trying Chicken Soup when the Blue Buffalo is gone. It is very economical here at $15 for an 18lb bag. For Blue Buffalo I pay $14 for a 5lb bag.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm now trying the Kirkland brand puppy food for the pup, then switching the adult food over once the Iams runs out. So far so good, time will tell if it seems to be better for him/them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts